May 2016
    « Apr   Jun »
    16171819202122

Dayzee on David Archuleta ~ New Music! E…
    Abrra on David Archuleta ~ New Music! E…
    Abrra on David Archuleta ~ New Music! E…
    marlie7 on David Archuleta ~ New Music! E…

David Archuleta Performs at Chapman Baccalaureate Service

Posted by djafan on Saturday, May 21, 2016

chapman lily 1

credit Lily (platinumarchie)

David Archuleta Chapman University 2016 Baccalaureate

I was lucky to get tickets to yesterday’s Baccalaureate service at Chapman University and my granddaughter, Divina and I headed out at noon.  It was great to chat with fellow fans upon arriving; Lily, Pam and Victoria.  The Musco Theater is beautiful with wonderful acoustics.  I’d love David to do a concert there.  We were ready to head up to the balcony where fans were sitting but by some miracle and being at the front of the line we were told by the door person that there were a couple of areas we could sit at ground level.

We sat in the midst of graduates and their families.  I wish I knew how to be inconspicuous and sneaky at the same time as I tried to take a couple of pictures but I felt like the spotlight was on me lol.  I’m so glad that Pam and Lily were able to capture a couple of moments.  They were sitting in front of me and I didn’t even know until today.

David Rehearsing

chapman stage rehearsal pic

credit David’s Instagram

It was a beautiful service; the invocation was humbling and the presentations by graduates of many faiths and beliefs represented were inspirational.  That is why the majority present were there except for a few of us fans.  David had a beautiful introduction and the excitement of his presence was felt.  I didn’t realize the balcony had many fans until I heard them when David walked out onto the stage with that familiar smile.

chapman pic

chapman prog

Song list:

He Lives In You

I loved David’s passion and commitment to this song.  You felt it strong and real.  And I’m going to confess I think Kendra is great but this was all David and wow, just wow.  No distractions from that voice.

credit Pam Pike facebook

My Little Prayer

This is my favorite from the night.  I have seen the YouTube from Slovenia but it doesn’t do it justice.  It is a simple song but so large in meaning and feeling, more so after learning David wrote it. It came to him during the wee hours of the night.  He shared that he felt the prompting to get up and write it down but he wanted to sleep since it was four in the morning. But he was being urged to get up and write it or he might forget it.  It reminded me of a comment Dolly Parton made about feeling his emotion in the song; this was truly his emotion coming directly from him to everyone there.

credit Raymond Huerta

Be Still My Soul

This is the first time I heard David sing this song live.  What can I say; it stills not only his soul but ours as well.  It was beautiful.

credit Raymond Huerta

Numb

Oh Numb.  This one I’ve heard live a few times but never as stripped down.  I’m hoping that the recorded version is acoustic.  David sitting on stool not only singing the words but making sure we felt what he felt.  I believe he won’t run run run from anything;  David made sure of that.

Crush

My favorite performances of Crush are the David and piano ones. This was no exception and had to giggle when David said “You could call this an oldie”.   You could see many female graduates giving each other knowing looks and chair dancing as he belted out those familiar lyrics.

credit Raymond Huerta

chapman david piano

credit me David singing Crush

Glorious

I’ve seen videos of graduates singing Glorious at their graduations but this was so fitting.  So much so that the lyrics were printed in the program and David did a great intro to it by quoting some of the lyrics.  It was perfect.

credit: Raymond Huerta

chapman glorious

My granddaughter told me that this the best she’s ever heard David, something in the tone she couldn’t explain but felt, and something in his style too.  Yes, there was something for sure.  David’s voice was on point, rich, strong, deep, soulful, even better than Arizona, if that’s possible because I was there and heard that voice with my own ears.  Divina likes David and has been to many concerts with me, even a VIP picture moment.  She actually said she was a fan when asked.  Happy Grandma!

David speaking is always an added treat for me. He is so charming, unassuming, genuine, unrehearsed, I could go on and on.  I love it.

chapman lily-david-chapman-1

credit Lily (platinumarchie)

valariekaur

The only Baccalaureate Ceremony in the country featuring a Sikh keynote speaker and Mormon singer. Loved sharing the stage with David Archuleta. Thank you @chapmanu for an unforgettable night & congratulations Class of 2016!

chapman keynote

I think I startled Pin Antonio (David’s stylist for Nandito Ako). She was walking up the theater aisle and I blurted the first thing that came to me, “Nandito Ako!”  She stopped and looked at me in shock.  I didn’t mean to do that. I told her I watched Nandito Ako and recognized her.

nandito ako pin antonio

credit pinantonio instagram

A side story.

When looking for parking I saw Kari walking toward the venue, I rolled down my window and said hi!  I told her we made it and she said glad we did.  I told her there were several of us coming and she said that’s great and then said bye. It was seconds but was glad to be able to let her know and let David know fans were there supporting him and this new event.

At the end of the service when I was at the exit of the theater I heard my name being called.  I turned around and Kari was on the stage calling me!  I looked and she waved me down.  My granddaughter said she never saw me move so fast haha.  I want to share here that when I was at Queens Creek I got the nerve to ask if I could say hi to David after I saw many fans being allowed backstage.  I never ask.  I did that time and was told no, it was too late.  I was sad and told her thank you, maybe next time.

Well next time was here and Kari must have remembered because there I was backstage waiting for my turn!  She really has his back and understandably so; he is very sought-after.

My turn!  I spoke to David in Spanish.  I had been waiting to do so for so long.  It was great to be able to converse with him.  I said what I had been wanting to say. I thanked him for deciding to stay in music.  Before I left he asked me where I was from.  I told him here, South Cali, he said no, from where is your Spanish?  Oh, I said Mexico, my family is from Guadalajara and he broke out in song!  “Guadalajaraaaaa Guadalajaraaaaa!”  And we laughed haha.  Listen to the first 15-20 seconds and this is what he sang to me by Vicente Fernandez who is in the “Somos El Mundo” video.  The fact that he knows this gives me hope for that Spanish music we’re waiting for.

David, the same David I had spoken to years ago.  He has physically matured and yes his mannerisms are also more mature but his charm and wit is intact.  David shook my hand at greeting and at goodbye, always so attentive and kind.

The gentlemen who introduced him mentioned new music in his intro and David himself  said “the project I’m working on, album number #7.”  I can’t wait!

chapman ruth-munoz-cruz-landa-5

credit Ruth Munoz Cruz Landa facebook

68 Responses to “David Archuleta Performs at Chapman Baccalaureate Service”

1. TXNancy said

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU for your FABULOUS, WONDERFUL, GLORIOUS recap, Djafan! We can relive last night because of your beautiful words, describing one of David’s exceptional performances, in song & words, a gift that this precious, caring, spirit-filled soul keeps giving us!. Bless you for this!

2. Martha said

Fantastic recap! His performance at this service may be one of his best! Numb was perfect (saw on twitter) & My Little Prayer simply beautiful & emotional! Thank you again, Djafan!!

Beautiful post !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ll have to go back and read again 🙂

Here is the link to Abrra’s Candy Jar for those wanting to have the songs from Chapman.

djafan,

I just loved your recap! You’re so lucky to have seen these performances. If video is any indication, he sounds as glorious as ever! So much passion in every song. I especially like this new version of Numb. Can’t wait for another album from more “mature David”. A Spanish one would certainly be welcomed!

And thanks to Kari, you got to see him at the end!
    What a thrill!
    You go, girl! 🙂

5. […] https://thevoicedavidarchuleta.com/2016/05/21/david-archuleta-performs-at-baccalaureate-service/ […]

6. Bridget said

Thank you for sharing!!!

7. pastelpastel said

Wonderful recap. Thanks for sharing and glad you got to say Hola to David!

8. erlindita said

What a wonderful recap Patty!!! He sounded amazing!! He looked so handsome, I spoke to him in Spanish too in Queen Creek when i met him but there were 2 of us so we had to share our time!! He is just what you said, a gentleman, nice & humbling! So glad you got to meet him!!1

9. TaterZen said

djafan, thank you! What a great recap. Speedy too. 🙂 Happy you were able to be there, and that your own “after party” included a visit with David.

And Abrra, thanks for keeping that candy jar full. Some extra sweet stuff in there lately.

Dja ♥♥
    Thank you! I just can’t even imagine being in attendance at something like this. Really and truly not a David concert, so he isn’t treating it as a concert where he is ‘pleasing’ a group of screaming fans. Although he always delivers 110% at concerts, it’s a different 110% at something as inspirational as this service — and some of the firesides that he does. I just imagine he is probably feeling a different connection to the people he is singing to. Does that ramble make sense? Your recap does. I love it!

The videos are wonderful. Thank you for posting them. There really is a different tone from him in these. ♥♥

11. GwenPo said

Thanks Patty, a great recap!!! So happy you were able to attend and say hi to David. Kari makes miracles happen💕
    I almost felt like I was there with all the videos included. Love that he wrote My Little Prayer, so simple yet so meaningful. You really made my day when you mentioned that D talked about his project he is working on!! Oh my goodness, can’t wait!!! Thanks for sharing this beautiful ceremony . ❤️

12. clairerolfe35 said

Dja, your recap was perfect. I was excited just to know he was in your area. So great to read of your face-to-face with David. Made me smile. One time when I was talking to David he started to sing and my knees buckled. A look of worry crossed his face. Sounds like you handled yourself better then I did. Laughing together is good.

Rambling Tawna. Haha. As I was reading Dja’s words, soaking up the pics and wallowing in the videos I thought about how he never, never disappoints us. 110% always. I was remembering him talking about how difficult it was to keep every one happy when every one wanted something different from him. Whatever makes him happy makes me happy. As long as he is singing. 🙂

Zen, opened my fridge, saw the David cookies, thought of you. Thanks.

Great post, Dja! So glad that you could attend and tell us all about it! I agree with your granddaughter, his voice does sounds richer. I sound like a broken record, saying how does he keep getting better! But some way he does and that is just remarkable! And lucky you, getting to meet David again. It’s been over 4 years for me and that is way too long, even though I probably won’t ever get to again since he doesn’t do the VIP thing anymore. 😦

Like the sound of album #7 coming out…maybe it’s right around the corner…hope so. ♥

Aw, Tawna, love your rambling, just like I do David’s! Some way when we get to talking about him, it kind of comes out that way! 🙂 But we all understand it cuz we are all in the same boat! 🙂

Thanks to Shadowbenny for today’s edit.

Thanks, Abrra and Shadowbenny for another fantastic David puzzle!

16. rohdegirl said

Thank you so much for this wonderful recap. It is especially appreciated by those of us who have yet to have an opportunity to see David since his return. So happy you got a chance to speak to him in Spanish also. I am sure he enjoyed it as much as you did.

17. PlatinumArchie said

Thank YOU, Patty, for capturing in your post this wonderful day of ceremony, story-telling and songs by David, honoring the graduates. Your post enables those who could not attend enjoy the celebration! I wish that everyone could’ve been there to enjoy that entire program, including the amazing graduates onstage and the inspirational Baccalaureate Address by Valarie Kaur! When we celebrated our daughter’s graduation at Chapman Univsity 15 years ago, little did I know who would take me back to this campus! Wonderful memories! ♥

18. Kizzi said

Wonderful recap DjaFan! Thank you for sharing!!

Great recap dja! Thanks for filling us in, so glad you could see him and speak to him!!!!!!! I was here around 6 am getting ready for an early work shift and only had time to watch one video. I chose Numb, thinking it may not be up when I got home. Glad I saw it when I could. Although BSMY is till my favorite. 🙂

Patty, LOVED reading your post! This is such a great recap,thank you!
    I believe you were meant to be there at this event girl!! Timing is everything, they say, and things sure fell into place for you with this one♥ From the better seats offered ,to getting called as you were leaving, by Kari to go backstage,
    to getting that chance you have wanted ,to once again see and have an exchange with David in spanish!! And him singing that was the cutest . Yep, meant to be, I say.
    Yayyyyy! so happy for you.
    (And I am happy for David, for getting to meet with YOU!)

That voice of his just keeps getting better and better, its crazy good right now.In all the ways you an Divina mentioned.

just a thought…
    I was listening to “He Showed Me How” last night and am wondering why he hasn’t sung that song. ?? Love that one, I think it’s beautiful,and the way he sings it, is divine.♥

Abrra, Thank you for the puzzle! A wonderful break for me!!

Skydancer, I’ve wondered about “He Showed Me How”, also. The last two Sunday mornings on my local radio station, they have played “Glorious” and then a couple of songs later they play “The Prayer”. I’m loving it! 🙂 You know what I find REALLY interesting is that whenever “The Prayer” is identified, it’s always by David Archuleta and Nathan Pacheco — not the other way around.

I have listened and listened and choose He Lives in You for my favorite from this performance I know, wouldn’t want to miss any of them. And David sends each one from his heart.

When I saw all those tiny pieces on today’s puzzle I was afraid it would be too difficult. But then I saw that piece with David’s smile and I dug right in. It was great.

Good Morning All!!!!

Busy busy weekend with family and hadn’t had time to check in. It was an incredible evening and he was so well received by everyone there. I’m so glad someone up high was able to video!!!! You can hear that voice is dang even better and the applause was real. Love David getting the love from a not his concert event.

I want to thank you all, regulars and non regulars for taking the time to comment. I’m not a natural writer but I had to get this out quickly, I felt like I was going to explode lol That’s the thing with David that feeling you leave with doesn’t go away but it does leave you wanting more and more!

David tweeting away!

Brilliant Djafan!

I still have not had time to listen to all of the videos. So far just HLIY and Little Prayer. But I will!!
    I appreciate what you say about writing. Sometimes it just is hard.

Thank you as well to all who have commented. I really love seeing all these names pop up here and share with us! Thanks so much. ^_^

And yes… that voice just keeps on growing bigger, stronger, mightier, and more lovely. What a gift to him and to all of us.

More pictures from Lily!

Bluesky, Thank you, you are to kind.

Tickets on sale!

Darnit! You can’t just buy a season pass for the BYU concert hall like in Idaho Falls …. you have to buy six performances. I don’t want to. Guess I’ll be waiting to purchase tix for this one. 😦 😦 **Eeyore’s ‘ohhh myyy’ seems fitting here

David cooks again.

Ever tried making your own hummus? I just did. With a fork. #garbanzobeans #notchickpeas #hummus #food

A post shared by David Archuleta (@davidarchie) on

I’ve just cooked a pot of chickpeas. I’m going to make chickpea curry, not hummus. Also making some chapati to go with it.

I’ve been eating garbanzo beans all my life and hummus as an adult. I didn’t know chickpeas were garbanzos or that hummus was made with them. I love it.

David looks so ready to dig in lol gosh he cracks me up. He continues to engage with us his fan more and more. He mentioned having fans at the baccalaureate, he knows we’re here 🙂

I like hummus with garlic and different other flavors on crackers. Good stuff!

Oh and Fen I love curry! I make a great hamburger soup that is seasoned with curry! Love David’s cooking instructions! 🙂 With a fork…lol

A new he lives in you!

credit Kristen Baldoz

More from the same event on her page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-k4450eDM

Oh My Goshhhh! OK. David has reached the pinnacle. It can only be downhill from here. No way he could do anything better than that performance of HLIY. And DJA got to see that live? I don’t know how she found her way home after that.

#35 Oh . My . Gosh!!!!! Be still my heart! Just feel David’s soul and emotions in the delivery of this song! I am daid!! No words! Phew… getting my heart beat restored now. ♥♥

Thank you Dja for that wonderful find!

haha Dayzee …. great minds think alike!!

It was soooo soul stirring, I don’t think I breathed through that then and now lol. The only way I want to hear it from now one for sure if I’m lucky.

40. refnaf said

((((dja)))))) Thanks for this wonder filled recap! So glad you were able to go AND speak to David in Spanish!!! Double Good!!!
    Abrra thanks for the candy jar goodies!!!
    ((((hugs))) all around!

Ref!!

Stay tuned ! I am going to swap in the current, new batch of videos and some mp3’s very soon. I’ll add the vids to Unplugged too!

Abrrra

Sweet 🙂

Hey refnaf!!!! Yes, talk about being a lucky duck 🙂 It was great to see him just being David.

Got the videos and mp3’s into the Candy Jar.

Kristen Baldoz’s camera and sound are magic!

She has some older videos from 7 years ago that I am watching. It’s fun to see familiar perfomances from a different angle.

35….pure heaven!!!!! Watching singers on the finales of some shows was hard to do…none of them can hold a candle to our guy! I even fast forward through some of them because I just couldn’t take it!

David’s former drummer from MKOP tour has a new gig!

A 2007 Canyon High School grad and longtime musician embarked on pop star Selena Gomez’s “Revival” tour earlier this month as her drummer, according to family members.

Interesting to see the article on Steven J. Robinson. I see he plans to move to Nashville and write music. Good to hear about him and his little family

Jan, funny you mention the quality of singers on the finales. I turned on the TV and had no idea what show it was, but the singer was so lame I couldn’t watch it. We are just spoiled.

48. dh said

Hi all. Thanks so much for the songs from the Chapman concert, Abbra!

I promised a friend that I would help her advertise these seats for the Sandy show that she now can’t use because she has a wedding to go to on that night. Here is the info:

I got a message from one of David’s Utah fans that she has 2 tickets for the June 18th concert in Sandy. The seats are in a Section 3, Row H. She is selling them for $45 each ticket. They are on sale on Flash Seats.

Here is the link: https://www.flashseats.com/Default.aspx?pid=18&ec=9000000000014999&ss=0&fss=2102188073

49. TOfan said

{{{{dja}}}}} LOVED every word of your recap, sooooo glad you got to be there and to have a Spanish convo with David, how cool! I still can’t believe he mentioned album #7 when all I thought we were getting was an EP! :)))))))

Dayzee, oh yeah, he is totally spoiling us and I’m loving every minute of it! It’s been over 8 good years and I will take as many more as I am allowed! 🙂

I would buy those tickets from the poor Utah fan that has a wedding to go to instead of seeing the great David Archuleta, but, alas, I live too far and can’t fly out there this time! Dang! 🙂 Just have to settle for the great photos and videos that the fans posts! Thank you all! David fans are the best tight knit group I’ve ever seen. We will do everything for him and for each other! ♥

Out here in my neck of the woods we are having real bad weather. Was under tornado warnings earlier and one heck of a storm passed through. It’s still rainy and lightning and thundering but the worst is over..I think! 🙂 The Royals game and a lot of other things were cancelled. 😦 Glad my lights haven’t went out!

Jans11 … hang in and hang on for the ride of your life thru those storms. 🙂 Really though, be careful, be safe, and good luck to you through the bad weather.

Thanks Tawna…..it’s still pouring and flooding all over the place. We have had rain all week and suppose to have more through the week end. Soooo sick of it! I listen and watch a lot of David….that’s the best thing to do when stuck indoors! 🙂

Deb, Yes not only did the gentlemen say “album seven” so did David so, hoping, praying, fingers crossed, and all that jazz!

Such bad timing for me to go anywhere! But great for those that can.

Ticket giveaway!!!

So glad there are so many giving fans. This from Shelley.

Today’s puzzle is thanks to Shelley!

David went to visit an old friend.

57. clairerolfe35 said

Haha David looks so comfortable spending time with the Cat. He is so good at immersing himself in cultures foreign to him. I did have one horrific thought that he might be checking out the Cat diet. He is such a foodie.

Thanks to Abrra for the puzzle and thanks to Shelley for all her many fabulous pics of David.

Every day I come here at least once and scroll down this thread. Past the David tweets Dja posted, past Lily’s pictures, past Kendall and David, past David making hummus. If I get to Paul’s mom-in-law I have gone too far. And there at 35 is the jewel I seek. That video has me mesmerized. Something I need to not only listen to, but watch David perform. And always seeing something new. I’m not sure if this is something I missed or if David comes in and adds a new twist when we aren’t looking. Love to watch his hands. This is the same fellow who said he didn’t know where to put his hands when he was singing. Well, he’s learned how to make his appendages part of the music.

Jan, we are sending you some awesome weather. Patience.

Yep another good puzzle of David! Thanks to all that made it possible! Always look forward to doing the puzzle every Sunday.

Went to the cemetary and decorated the graves…something I have overlooked the last few years for some reason. Hope everyone is having a nice restful Memorial day weekend.

Dang, tonight I started watching David’s concerts from Youtube on my Chromecast that’s hooked up to my big screen and I can’t quit watching them! 🙂 It is so awesome, it’s like I’m there again! Thanks to everyone that posted these videos! David, you are so awesome, thank you for your beautiful voice!

Thanks, Claire, ( I guess Dayzee is out of town 🙂 ) It was a beautiful day to day, in the 80’s and sunny. Patience has held out on the weather..now if David will hurry up and do something about that album! 🙂

Thank you David. It’s amazing to me how perfect they make the rows apart, no matter which way you look at it. My dad was in the Navy in WW2 and my husband was in the Army in the Viet Nam war. He was drafted twice. Thank you dad and Bob. I have had a quiet day today. All the kids had tournament softball games. Either playing or coaching. My son and his family will be up here on the 15th thru the 19th.

David it is too quiet…we need some album news! 🙂

Happy Tuesday to all!!!!

Busy busy weekend!

And I just love, I mean really love David’s posts. How is he the way he is? I’m completely awed by him.

Getting ready for a little trip to Rexburg. My family is putting in a new fence for me while I am gone and they asked me to leave a day early so I won’t be in the way. Sure, I can spend an extra day in Idaho.

Hoping to see Everybody Hurts, Seven Years, He Lives in You, Nunca Pensa, Numb, The Prayer. Maybe hear some stories. Maybe there will be a surprise? He is good at surprises.

And tomorrow is June. Always a great month.

I just love it when I get an email from David! 🙂

Wish I could go….enjoy yourself Dayzee and think of us that can’t be there!

From the man himself….

[video src="http://davidarchuleta.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/idaho.mp4" /]

I didn’t copy the first part of the link..before the http part, but it keeps coming up. Abrra, you can probably fix it! 🙂 Great close up video of David!

Jan
    Thanks for trying 🙂 It’s because WordPress will only embed YouTube videos in comments. Its best to just post a link to the page where a video can be viewed.

Here is a link from his OS where the video can be viewed by anyone.

Apparently the video was posted to his Facebook page but only those who lived in Idaho could “see” it. Nice try TeamArchie on target marketing. All his fans want to see all his videos, no matter where they live. They are called ODD fans and you all should know that.

Thanks, Abs. I got an email with the links and when I clicked on them I got them to come up including getting to see the video. And I live in Kansas City. Very nice closeup of him. Yes every one of us fans want to see all videos!

Yes Abrra!! All the videos, all the pics, all the quotes…..everything David! You tell ’em.

So excited now. Put gas in my car, money in my purse, stocked the pantry for people who will be here while I am gone. Got my tickets. Got my hotel maps. Ready to go. On my way.

This venue reminds me of earlier performances in Rexburg. When I got lost trying to find the VIP. I did get there before David, so all was well. One trip with my daughter where David sang Be Still My Soul and we were all crying at the finish, One show I sat next to a woman who had not seen David at all. She had season tickets and only came because everyone she knew asked her for them. She wanted to see what the fuss was about. At the end David sang O Holy Night and this woman was stunned. Would not leave the building. More tears. Can’t wait for new memories