David Archuleta Symposium Finale~ Recaps by Bluesky & Dayzee

Posted by djafan on Friday, April 17, 2015

he lives in you credit n8edwards IG (thanks Abrra for this find)

ReCap (bluesky style):

Bigger. Better. Bolder.

Buckling up will do no good. All seats will jettison – airlifting hearts to new flights of blessed reality. A reality brighter than you knew and at the same time, the beloved home you always craved.

Dayzee will tell you that I tried to do video but my poor little iPad simply did not have enough memory. *_* Well, I have never tried to film anything that long before, so it was a learning experience.

I just want to say that it is my firm belief that any qualms anyone has had about songs, genres, et al. No. Worries.

Watch the whole speech when it comes. (it has to… wish I had been able to get it all). Listen to the songs.

Basically…..that’s it.

(and Dayzee is amazing. ^_^)

Just FYI: although the venue was at a University, the topic was ….kinda not something youngers are going to say: “wow! that sounds like fun, let’s go!” Maybe because of interest. It was great. I loved hearing the different viewpoints that I did get to hear. (not being able to get to the whole day)

And… just 20 min. or so before it began, I asked an usher how many people they were expecting – it still seemed kind of sparse to me. She told me that they expected about 2000, but that the ticket numbers were 4500. She thought the snow would make a big difference. I concurred.

But then… in just 30 more minutes the whole place filled up. I am sure there were upwards of 3000 there. And…. from my view, it looked like 80% were people the same age as DA. And they LOVED him. They were obviously there to see him. And they would not bring HIM out until he was due to go on. They knew that once he came out, no one would pay any attention to anyone else.

The audience… most all of them his contemporaries or just about…. watched for him all the time. They were constantly looking for “when is he coming out?” Even though no one said his name. And after he spoke and sang his last song – complete standing ovation. Complete. I am telling you – us olders were most certainly outnumbered. And although everyone was very kind and just treated us in grand style, you could plainly see that they consider DA t.h.e.i.r.s.

Can’t begin to tell you how proud I am of him.

(Can’t tell you how many guys – there with their girl friends – were just as “where IS he?” as the rest of them. All ages. All there for him. You gotta know that is why they never even mentioned him by name until just before he went on: the applause would have been a dead give away. ((Although, to be fair, the audience was great – they were very supportive and generous in their applause for both other musical numbers. They clapped and cheered along with the Baptist Choir – who were very good – and they loved the native American dancers as well. The announcer was just careful to refer to DA only as: various musical numbers tonight, until his set was announced. Good Call.)) ^_^ )

photo

Recap by Dayzee:

He Lives in You is my new favorite song. David has once again outdone himself.

Bluesky was so gracious and fun. A great friend to share an evening with David.

Wow Wow Wow. Will try to settle myself down and return tomorrow.

I was so nervous yesterday preparing for an evening with David. Mastering snowy roads, finding Bluesky in an area I was unfamiliar with, reaching the venue on time, parking, finding the right place to be. I was so antsy I found myself at Bluesky’s home half an hour early. After listening to my profuse apologies, she responded as if it was perfectly ok to interrupt her getting ready. As if she did not think I was that babbling idiot that I was. Everything went smoothly and we were finally parked and looking for the official entry. Why do I worry? I am always afraid something horrible will happen and carefully laid plans will fall through.

There were no people visible outside the building. It was 5:30 and the doors were to be unlocked at 6:30. We decided to walk over to Will Call (always open) and find a restroom. After a nice young man took us through tunnels we were told to take the elevator up to the restroom. While waiting for the elevator I heard piano. Was that Be Still My Soul? Then that heavenly voice floated into the hallway. The elevator came. And went.

After recovering, we asked a fellow wearing the “Im here to help you” jacket where we should wait. Bluesky charmed him into feeling responsible for getting us to the best seats available. He unlocked doors and pointed the way. and told us to find the front row. Did not need to tell us twice. The first five rows were for VIP from the college, then a gap to the front of the rest of the seating. So we were on the front row behind VIP. And we were there for an hour and a half before the program began. Thank you Bluesky and Jacket fellow. Lupe, Claudia and other family were five rows in front of us on the real front row. Nice to see the family support.

When David appeared the crowd was deafening. A great welcome. When David went to the microphone to sing the first number, he gave us a puckish grin and started out “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas”. At that point the entire audience was completely his. He went on to sing He Lives in You. So there I was taking the most pitiful video ever. One of the best frames showed the size 12 bright red Converse shoes of my neighbor. Somehow I was able to keep the camera somewhere in David’s direction when my screen told me NO more videoing because I had run out of storage. David was at that point in the song where he absolutely becomes awesome and shakes the rafters. Crap! The video above at #59 ends in the same place. Hoping someone will find the ending of that song.

The crowd showed their appreciation with a standing ovation. The room was all David. A line formed to shake David’s hand (or get a hug) but security sent them packing. In a nice way.

There is nothing like the feelings that engulf you after a David concert. Warm and fuzzy,yet electric and intense. All emotions combine to make me useless.

Can’t wait til next time.

dayzee keys

credit Dayzee’s keychain

speech collage

THE VIDEOS ~ 8 Thoughts By David Archuleta

1. The Truth Within
2. Prayer
3. The Greater Good
4. What Matters Most
5. Facing Your Fears
6. Mission and the power of Religious Freedom
7. Serving Others
8. Understanding Others and Understanding Yourself ?

Videos credit to aimeevargas, Rochelle Dawn, Kelsi Johnson

96 Responses to “David Archuleta Symposium Finale~ Recaps by Bluesky & Dayzee”

Hello all! I’m still blown away by David. His well thought out speech, his eloquence, confidence, maturity, and that dang voice, all of it just wow. Here all the videos that capture the David in words, wit and song 🙂

My heart swells with pride for him and the beautiful recaps by Dayzee and Bluesky. Your eyes and ears were so blessed and in turn blessed us.

Bluesky “He is back. But is more than he ever was: deeper, stronger, a man on course. With talent pouring out of every nuance, sound, breath, action, deed.”

Dayzee “When David was speaking I could not find the rambling man anywhere. His thoughts were concise and to the point. He laid himself out for all to see and hear. There were a few moments when I thought someone should get him a kleenex. He does not hold back his emotions. Gosh I love this guy.”

I can’t wait to see him!

All that have commented have my most dearest appreciation for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings with all of us. This is some ride we’re on and without all of you posters, sometime posters, and lurkers (many of them) this celebration of David wouldn’t be possible. Thank you.

I’m going to listen now with headset and no visual while I work 🙂

Good writing session!

Thanks, Djafan for sandwiching the vids above with the HLIY song. It really would have been a wonderful song to end on, after building up to it. For me, it speaks volumes about his choices and focus, that he chose such a big number for the beginning – when we would not expect it, when we were not really prepared for it.

Ha! Some sense of humor, no? And drama!

Sneaky fella, that DA.

4. I sincerely hope that David can finally move on now that he has expressed himself completely. The years gone by have obviously haunted him steadily and that was so sad to hear about.

Hopefully now he will surround himself with good people and move forward with greater satisfaction leaving the disappointments behind. It has been truly a time of honest confessions for the whole world to see. I hope that this releases him of the sorrows that he spoke about. I know that he will not be fake for years with his new fan base. That is a disturbing thought that I have to remember.

Truth is good for the soul and truth is all we need to know…A few of Keats words mixed in there.

SB 🍁

Ok, I found my earbuds this afternoon and couldn’t wait to listen to HLIY cranked up as loud as I could stand it. Good gracious!! Oh, how I wish I’d have been there with Bluesky and Dayzee to hear that live!

Dayzee and Bluesky, love every word of describing the Symposium with David that you attended! It was like I was really there with you, not just in my mind! #Youguysarethebest! #Davidisthebest! #David’sfansarethebest!

SB, I totally agree with you hoping that David can move on now; he seems to be. I know he might of not been happy with things before, but he would probably say that is why he is where he is now. It was some stepping stones to help him to prepare for the future. The “school of hard knocks” so to speak. We all go through them and learn from them. Being under contract would have been really surpressing though, but look where he is now! 🙂 I’m loving all these “big and better things”

7. ray. said

in the furture david will be sean as a legend in the music industrey

Bluesky,

“that he chose such a big number for the beginning – when we would not expect it, when we were not really prepared for it.”

It’s like that wave he speaks of. I sandwiched it and put it at the end too! haha Didn’t realize it. Oh I just love that humor. Pattycake said the girls were yelling marry me at the end and he went and touched their hands 🙂

SB,

” I hope that this releases him of the sorrows that he spoke about.”

I’m sure he will. Proof to me is that handled the twitter fiasco head on. David said before his mission he would have hid but not anymore. He put out an apology, surprised the heck out of me by addressing it during this speech using vocabulary I didn’t expect. I think “fake” is being viewed to literal IMO. I never felt he was being fake but maybe doing things that weren’t natural to his character that used up his energy with having to deal with so many people, wants, etc. Just my take on that.

MT, “Good gracious!! I know right??!! Exquisite!

Jans, “#Youguysarethebest! #Davidisthebest! #David’sfansarethebest!” YEP!!1

“We all go through them and learn from them. Being under contract would have been really surpressing though, but look where he is now! 🙂 I’m loving all these “big and better things””

Nicely put 🙂

Ray, Not sure how he will be seen but I’m sure he will be seen.

Janelle transcribed David’s speech.

David Archuleta Speech Transcript
    Religious Symposium 15 April 2015

Introduction of David (Applause)
    (Moves over to other mike). “I’m going to move over to this mike now”. Sings first few words of “It’s Beginning to look a lot like Christmas”.
    David: No, (laughter) even though I got a little confused with all the snow out there. But, no, we’re really going to sing a song for you.
    (Sings Disney song “He Lives in You” from the movie Lion King II)

David: The beliefs in the forefront of my life, in life’s decisions have benefited not only in what I do as a performer, but also as an everyday individual.
    I was raised with Christian beliefs centered in Jesus Christ as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. But I hope the things I share tonight with all of you from my life’s experiences will be beneficial whatever your beliefs and upbringing may be; Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buhdist, Hindu, or unaffiliated with a particular belief. I hope I express the truth I have come to know in a way that will be of value to you.
    We are all in this world together, so why not support one another and come together in strength to receive the joy that I know we can find in our lives. I invite you to focus on your principles of love, hope and courage and reflect on what can be added to these principles as I share with you as I share with you 8 of my own thoughts.
    Thought 1; Truth Within
    Growing up, I was taught to understand the value of truth. To pay attention to the energy or the light that truth gives off. I learned that if we’d seek out this light and bring it into every aspect of our lives, it will shine for others to see. These truths were given to me in a home where we learned to keep God our center, and by doing so we would feel power above our own each day.
    I would like to share a few experiences of how I’ve witnessed this power in my life. For those of you who know what I do, you probably are familiar with my time on the 7th season of American Idol. I wasn’t planning on being on as long as I was but I found myself at the finale alongside my friend David Cook. Now before all of this happened, I had competed in another competition called Star Search, winning the kids division when I was 12. However by the time I was 13 I was forced to stop singing because I had been diagnosed with a partially paralyzed vocal cord and could barely get through just one or two songs. Aside from singing, my speech and breathing were also affected by this paralysis. In my 13 year old mind I thought it was a curse for being a bad person, or maybe a sign that I was supposed to do something else with my life. But fast forwarding 11 years to today, I can see how our future is designed to work out for the better if we are willing to work through hard things, be patient and have courage to follow the light through faith based principles.
    As a Junior in High School, working at a park amphitheater with 3 friends, Adam Reuben who is a student here at UVU, and is here, his brother Nate and their cousin Ryan. I really enjoyed that job and I’ll just give you a brief description of what it was like. You run lights and sound in the very back in the dark, being somewhat a part of the show only no one can see you, and they probably don’t even realize that your there, which actually I quite loved, I liked that. I didn’t like being the center of attention which is why this was the perfect job for me. You can ask my friends from school, or even now. I would awkwardly stand in a corner and not say anything. I liked to observe and see people but didn’t want to interact or be seen. So again this park technician job was a perfect job.
    American Idol auditions came. I had always been a fan of the show and everyone wanted me to audition, but I was very hesitant about performing because I thought it was no longer an option.
    Thought 2; Prayer
    I felt an overwhelming energy driving me to audition as if it were guiding me to an invisible door of my future. At first I tried to ignore it because I didn’t want to leave my comfort zone. But that energy was something I recognized from throughout my life as that light that guides us to things beyond our capacity of understanding.
    I believe we all feel sparks of inspiration and illumination and that’s probably where the inner instinct of a higher power comes from. Our souls are connected with something bigger and greater than us. It’s impossible to find any words or scientific evidence to explain this, but I know that we all receive these sparks throughout our lives.
    Now I tried for a long time to dodge this feeling but it wouldn’t go away. I’m not going to lie, I was afraid of it, because I felt it was asking too much of a little person like me. I didn’t know why I needed to audition and leave a safe place, so after awhile, I decided to take it to God. At home we prayed a lot which taught me develop my own relationship with God through personal daily prayers. I went to my room and knelt beside my bed and spoke to Him. I told Him I didn’t know why I kept getting this feeling to go audition for a reality TV show but I couldn’t shake the prompting I was receiving. I asked if it was really something I needed to do. As I knelt in that prayer, I experienced something I’ve never experienced before. It was if this giant wave came and wiped every fear, and every concern and every feeling of inadequacy right out of existence. That moment I had come to know that this great and supreme being who I spoke to in prayer each day, knew me. After that beautiful flood which brought an unfathomable amount of peace and love into every cell of my body, I heard a voice clearly say, “Go and audition, there’s something you need to learn.”
    So after quitting my perfect job (laughter from audience), which was not easy for me to do, I went to audition, and I made it through (picture on screen of David on American Idol). But, at first I was told I didn’t make it though, and was kindly shown the way out of the auditions. I remember staring at the exit sign thinking ‘what was my lesson here?’ As I was leaving the judges called me back over, told me they were just messing with me, and gave me the golden ticket.
    After returning home with my golden ticket, I was invited by my friends who I worked with at the park amphitheater, the Reuben family to go on a backpacking trip to the Uinta’s. It was great, no cell phone, no service, no computers, just trees, mountains, lakes, bugs and quiet. The Reuben family is quite the sleepers, so while they were all sleeping and my sandwich was my only companion, I went out a little ways and found this enormous rock. I climbed up on to it and sat for hours each day to think. I felt this overwhelming feeling that something was going to take place in my life. I was confused about this American Idol thing. So once again I decided to talk to God about my situation. I wasn’t shown the future but I felt I was going to decide who I was I going to be. Regardless of what was in store I needed to ask myself ‘Who am I?’ I may not be able to control what will happen next, but I can control what kind of person I will be and how I handle what was sent my way. I remember the things my parents taught me that no matter what situations I would find myself in, I could be true to who I was by listening to a still small voice that would help me recognize light.
    My time on the rock helped me decide who I was going to be, and that I would always keep what I believe from a religious standpoint first. Those days spent talking one on one with God in the Uinta Mountains helped me prepare for what was to come.
    Thought 3; The Greater Good
    During American Idol one of my goals while on the show was to choose songs that I felt had purpose. This became a challenge one week when I chose to sing John Lennon’s “Imagine”. During my dress rehearsal the producers walked up onto the stage, stopped me and told me I needed to sing the first verse that everyone knew. I had chosen to sing the third verse because I felt I couldn’t leave people with the message ‘imagine there’s no heaven, it’s easy if you try’. With Debbie, the stage manager being the only one to support my decision, I was able to sing the third verse. I’m thankful I didn’t ignore the feeling I had, because I believe the overwhelming response and success of the song was directly related to staying true to who I was.
    As an artist it is more than just the notes and sound. It is the energy that you put into what you do. If something is not true, then you can’t put that energy of truth within you into your art. It doesn’t matter how nice or technically correct it is, the energy that makes the difference. I realize if that we make an effort to stand up for these truths within, greater good will always prevail.
    Thought 4; What Matters Most
    Immediately after American Idol, I was signed to a record deal, released a single called “Crush”, had an album come out, did multiple concerts and tours, and I started to get a little side tracked. People were suddenly telling me, “money, fame and having all these people know you are what make you happy. Girls screaming ‘I love you’, or ‘marry me’, or mothers screaming ‘marry my daughter’”.
    For awhile I thought, maybe they’re right. These record label and record industry people are older than me, have been at it longer, and were telling me I needed this to be successful and happy. It occurred to me that just because people are nice, doesn’t mean what they say is true.
    As a performer when I would speak up and say I didn’t feel comfortable with certain songs or scenes in videos, they would tell me, “But this is what’s popular. You want your music to be heard don’t you? If you want to make a difference in the world people have to hear your music, and this is what’s in.
    Where I was known for songs like “Imagine” and “When You Believe”, they were now telling me and I quote, “We see you more as a white Chris Brown.” (Audience laughter)
    When I would again say, ‘I don’t want to sing songs that are dark and portray hurtful relationships’, they then told me, “Oh, well you might as well be a Christian singer.” Now I do love Christian music but I wanted to show that no matter where you are, you can have the freedom to stand up for truth. You can be considered a pop artist and not have to follow everyone else. Other examples of people who were able to stand up and be treated who they were, were people I admired like Owl City, Dolly Parton, Phil Collins, 5 for Fighting, Lindsay Sterling and many more.
    It got to a point though, where I let these voices get to me and I became afraid to speak up about what was important to me. I didn’t tell people I believed in Jesus Christ or that I was a Mormon for fear of ridicule or being uncool or being seen as an overbearing religious freak. It was a world where I was now believing that you needed to be politically correct, not offend anyone, not say anything that anyone would disagree with, and where you do what the big wigs tell you. I wasn’t sure what I could be open about anymore, even though I still considered my religious beliefs to be what was most important in my life.
    Which leads to thought 5; Facing Fears.
    As in times before I began to feel an overwhelming energy pulling at my soul, telling me once again to do something that was not easy. Leave my comfort zone and put a hold on my career and life to serve a mission (applause). Thank you…I knew it was I needed to do, I just didn’t know how. When I first turned 19, I had announced to my management and record label that I was going to serve a mission. They came back telling me that I couldn’t because of contractual obligations. At first I thought that again this must be a sign that my instincts were wrong. But later on with help from my mom and friends, I realized that only I could decide what matters most to me. After over a year of obstacles and preparation, I turned in my mission application and in November 2011, I received my mission call to the Chile, Rancagua mission. I was excited to pay it forward. Because of my fear however, I thought about leaving without letting anyone know. Or releasing a video message, that way I wouldn’t have to face disappointment or misunderstanding from others.
    While doing a Christmas tour my road manager Kari, who is also here today, told me, “I think you owe it to your fans to tell them face to face, and not just face to face but at one of your shows.” I knew she was right, I needed to face my fear, knowing what could follow. I announced that I would be leaving in front of my home town of Salt Lake.
    (Song; “Be Still My Soul.”)
    Thank you. I want to thank the musicians, very talented musicians accompanying me tonight, Miss Kendra Lowe who is on the piano and Mr. Bart Wilson who is on percussion and he’ll come back later.
    Thought 6; My mission and the power of religious freedom.
    I loved my mission and while I could go on and on about it, I will share a brief story. One of the people I grew to know and love was a single mother named Blanca. Every time I think of her I just get, whooo, teary eyed. It’s what the mission does to you. Blanca was originally from Cuba. She grew up Catholic, but during her time in Cuba, they were not allowed to practice religion or else they would be arrested. They had to close down all places of worship, so she and a small group of Christians would have to meet in secret in a small home so that they could worship the God they loved and relied upon. She found her way to Chile where my companion and I met her. Together with her two children we shared God’s plan and I will never forget when she said, “I can’t explain what I’m feeling right now. I just know that it’s true.”
    Blanca taught me the importance of religious freedom. What does it really mean to have your freedom taken away from you? I’ve never had to worry about being arrested for praying. But here was Blanca who left the home she knew in Cuba for freedom to worship the God she loved, and so that she could live her life in a way that she could dedicate it to Him. Something that I had somewhat taken for granted.
    How blessed we are that we can live in a country established on liberty and justice for all. Where the first amendment to the United States constitution states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”
    These me who we’ve read about in our history books, George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock were men who had beliefs founded in God. They seeked for freedom and rights not just for themselves, but for their country. They helped establish a country rooted in ancient principals to worship God freely and in a more powerful way than previously permitted, having been weighed down by British rule before. Even though their lives and reputation were at stake in the decision to stand up for what they believed, they declared these precious rights in a declaration of independence and later in the constitution. Their decision to stand up for their beliefs was not easy and a lot was on the line.
    In the book “The Miracle of America, Birth of a Nation” by William S. Norton and Brian P. Trotter I quote, “It is of particular note that if the war for Independence had been lost, these good men and their families would have been tried for treason. The penalty for which was not just death, but far, far worse. After horrifying and an excruciatingly long process, when spirit and flesh had been unmercifully parted, their quartered remains would have been scattered across the countryside so that their final resting place would be unknown, unnamed and un-honored. And yet, despite of this threat, these stalwart men pursued their righteous path pressing forward with faith in their creator. We may ask ourselves, if the task rested upon our shoulders, would you have signed it?”
    The freedom fighters did not fully understand what their courage would lead to and if their lives would be cut short for their simple decisions to stand up for their beliefs. But do you think they would have imagined that over 300 million people would now be living in this country founded on principals of a nation under God and liberty almost 300 years later. Look at us here today. We are their results of simple, but bold decisions…? to affect ours, our children’s and our children’s-children’s lives.
    If any of you are wondering how to begin living this freedom openly and outwardly your beliefs, may I quote a well-known phrase, “Love they neighbor as thyself.”
    This leads to thought 7 of serving others.
    There’s no decision that has impacted me and changed me more than the decision to serve. On my mission I was able to live two years of service that was dedicated to others and dedicated to God. And coming from the entertainment industry I may have gotten a little caught up in the ‘how much more can I do to get people to see me’ way of thinking. I learned on my mission that the exact opposite is where love is born. Because it is not all about you, it is not all about me. There are people who have nothing according to the world’s terms of money or fame, and yet they hold the key to the secret of life. What brings joy and happiness? I need to go to people who no one knew about to find it. I needed to work hard at understanding others and understanding yourself.
    I had a recent experience that helped me gain better insight in what religious freedom meant for me personally, and also how we learn from mistakes in understanding one other’s perspectives.
    Just this weekend before last I was watching the LDS world-wide general conference. I felt impressed to share some of the quotes that impacted me, especially with it being Easter weekend. One of the quotes I decided to share on my Twitter feed was from the president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Boyd K. Packer where he stated, “Though romantic love is incomplete, it is a prelude. Love is nourished by the coming of children who spring from that fountain of life entrusted to couples in marriage. Conception takes place in a wedded embrace between husband and wife.”
    Now, I did not type it all down fast enough in my notes…while the first part struck me saying ‘romantic love is incomplete, it is a prelude’, I didn’t take time to really consider how it ended. I mixed what I thought I heard into the quote, saying ‘expressed between a man and women in marriage’ instead of ‘entrusted to couples in marriage’ as Boyd K. Packer said.
    Twitter only allows 150 characters, so the quote didn’t fit in one tweet. I added the part that didn’t fit into another tweet which only showed the remaining words “expressed between a man and woman in marriage.”
    I didn’t realize that over the weekend I would receive thousands of angry comments misinterpreting the line into an anti-gay, homophobic, political statement that would get sucked into the current Indiana debate. Though I do firmly believe in God’s order of the family, never had I intended to imply homophobic, belittling political statements. However, the damage had been done. I was now living what had always been my fear before my mission of being misunderstood and taken the wrong way. When my manager informed me of what had happened, I quickly released an apology for anyone who had misunderstood my romantic love being a prelude tweet.
    Now, although I did not quote verbatim what President Boyd K. Packer said, I would like to share why I felt so impressed to share his message. I hope people can look at the fact that love is more than just a one night stand. I pray that people take seriously how powerful sexual intimacy is. Because I know it is God given power to enhance everlasting relationships in marriage, and even has power to bring new lives into this world which is attached with new responsibility. Sex is not designed for selfish pleasure seeking. It is a pact between husband and wife that enhances their bond and that bond can enhance even more with the coming of children.
    There’s nothing more valuable to me than my family and I hope that we treat the gift of families and the powers that form families with the importance and sacredness that they deserve.
    I realized how an innocent mistake can be read wrong, jumped to quick conclusions, bring offence and fear, and end with bitter remarks leaving both sides hurt. I believe we all have taken offense at one time or another with things. I learned I have to be willing to understand where other people are coming from.
    This experience has helped me. My reaction before may have been to cover up my mistakes and to hide in fear. But now I’m beginning to learn that in order to understand others, I need to love them enough to help them know why what I shared matters so much to me and then listen to what matters most to them.
    It is about giving your best to show who you really are and to become the better you. To have the freedom of beliefs that help you find hope that there is room to become your best to express in your art your passions, your talent and your faith, your hope for a better world and the hope to make a positive impact on the lives of those around you. You have this freedom. You don’t have to keep secret what matters to you and be like (young aged?) Blanca and hide. You have strength to stand up and make a difference, and as you stand up you become a leader of light instead of a follower of fear.
    In conclusion I hope each of us, wherever our religious beliefs are based can make the arrangements in our lives so we can continue to dedicate time to serve others.
    I learned that there is power in a smile, a simple hello, a prayer for another and trust in each other. When we take the time to serve each and every person that is within our reach, we come to realize how we truly are one. That we are connected no matter how different our upbringings and circumstances are. Through service we remove the chains of greed, pride, anger and judgement to uncover the links that connect us together. Love, it is there. It is part of our make-up as humans because whether we choose to express love or not, it is constantly flowing from a higher source. We are all loved by the same creator and service is what unveils his love for each of us. I encourage you my brothers and sisters to find this love for yourself, and as you discover it, may you help others feel it through you and this is my humble prayer.
    We’d like to leave you with a song that is really special to me and my God bless all of you. Thank you.
    (Song; “Glorious”)

I strung all the “talk” videos together and made one big MP3 of David’s talk from Wednesday evening. 3 songs are also in the folder for download in the Candy Jar.

Thank you Abrra!!!!!!!!

When I saw the key chain pic (Bluesky can be every bit as sneaky as David) I was reminded of a recent Unplugged chat when Ray and I swapped stories of waitresses’ reactions when we displayed our David key chains on the diner table. We had about equal “Is that David Archuleta?” and “is that your grandson?”. Ray and I both admitted to sometimes just going with “yes, that’s my grandson” Hehe. Nearly every waitress added, “He sure is nice looking”.

That key chain was given to me by a David fan when we had a gathering of fans at Simply Thai, a restaurant here that David frequented.. It was BTM (before the mission). The restaurant owner showed us where David preferred to sit: facing the corner with his back to the room in hopes of being unnoticed. On my key chain, the reason that corner is cut off is because I wore out the original attachment hole.. Figure I can do that 2 more times, not choosing to cut the corner showing David’s face.

Dja, how nice of you to take all our little pieces and put them together. I could use that service after every David performance.

The missing video has been found and there is great rejoicing and barefoot fans. 🙂 Yayy!! MT, will you need help to find your sox?

Jan, I am happy you reminded us that David always appreciates his learning experiences. Because he does.

See the Baptist choir sitting behind DA on the stage? Watch them at the part where Kendra comes in with the surprising double forte part.
    They are very close to her and to the piano, but none of them bat an eye. None of them blink. None of them turn and look at her.

I find that too funny.

So… evidently he owns the stage even when all one can see is his back. ^_^

Thanks to Janelle for the transcription

I love you Abrra. You are the bestest. Making a withdrawal from your jar.

“But now I’m beginning to learn that in order to understand others, I need to love them enough to help them know why what I shared matters so much to me and then listen to what matters most to them.
    It is about giving your best to show who you really are and to become the better you. To have the freedom of beliefs that help you find hope that there is room to become your best to express in your art your passions, your talent and your faith, your hope for a better world and the hope to make a positive impact on the lives of those around you.”

Many people wait most their lives to learn this truth: that only by being uniquely ones best, can we truly experience compassion and acceptance of others. We have to be willing to mine our own hearts, talents, passions, to “know” ourselves.

This is one reason why I believe that DA’s stance on his need for stillness, will in the end, bring us closer to him through a more complete and grounded expression of his inner passion and purpose. It (fan-hood) may not look exactly like it did before, but *sigh* I am willing to ride that train. Especially as it’s pathway runs straight through his heart.

He can and will do no less.

PS: “Now I do love Christian music but I wanted to show that no matter where you are, you can have the freedom to stand up for truth. You can be considered a pop artist and not have to follow everyone else.”

“No matter where you are”, DA. And my money is on the “but”, rather than the “Christian music”. ^_^

13. Dayzee,
    LOL I just might need help finding them. They have officially been blown off and scattered to the winds! 😀

Jans #6…. I so agree with you ♥ ” I know he might of not been happy with things before, but he would probably say that is why he is where he is now. It was some stepping stones to help him to prepare for the future. The “school of hard knocks” so to speak. We all go through them and learn from them. Being under contract would have been really surpressing though, but look where he is now! 🙂 I’m loving all these “big and better things” ”

Ray #7… he is certainly headed towards big time recognition… imo

Dja #8… I’m glad that I’m not the only one not liking the term “fake”… ” I think “fake” is being viewed to literal IMO. I never felt he was being fake but maybe doing things that weren’t natural to his character that used up his energy with having to deal with so many people, wants, etc. Just my take on that.”

SB… I feel that David has let go of yesterday and his feelings of his ship sinking. I truly feel that he has become the captain and knows the course his ship is set for. Although there may be some winds that work at altering that course, he has a firm enough grip on the wheel that he will be able to keep the course. I really believe that.

Abrra!!!!! Thank you!!!! You are the absolute queen of technology, and the true giver of good things!! 🙂

Dayzee and Bluesky.. Thank you again for being our eyes and ears for this. ♥ 🙂 ♥

Going to try to take some time right now and listen to it all. ♥

If you took the Talk download, delete it and go back and get it again. I had to rework it. It’s all set now.

20. ray. said

abrra, who yuo useing for downloading vidios, my realplayer doesent work any more with vista

It’s a program called a- tube -catcher . That being said, unless you know how to download it and avoid the junk programs( ask toolbar, etc) they try to sneak in, don’t get it. Real Payer should work with Vista. Look again at your settings or get the latest version.

I can’t get Real Player to work with Windows8 either. It was working one day and then the next it was gone. I’ve tried several things, but gave up. (Please don’t tell David that I quit trying 🙂 )

I can’t even download Adobe Flash because of something with Adobe’s newest version not working with something in Windows8. I have to call my computer support and they do a work around and get it taken care of. Apparently Adobe is aware of it and is working on it. *oh bother* (sounding like Eeyore)

Tawna
    You know you can have Windows 7 installed on that computer by a local techy ? I had Windows 7 on mine to get rid of Vista. Everything works great. If I had to buy a new PC, I’d have Win 7 over any version they offer. That’s all I am going to say.

24. ray. said

abbra real player told me the no longer support vista, i have a tupe catcher, but it wont work eathier, guess i will get windows 7 imust have davids hliy. ihave turned over a new leaf because of david, ti think a 24 year old has all that wisdom, saw it 7 years ago.

@shirleyhalperin
    News Director, @Billboard; Music Editor, @THR. Author of many leather-bound books. Mrs. @thommonahan.
    Los Angeles

#25 Interesting picture, Abs! Did some research and found that Shirley Halperin is the music editor of the Hollywood Reporter and news director at Billboard. Thom Monahan, her husband is a producer/engineer. One can only wonder what she means by the above tweet but it loos promising!

David’s hair is growing in so nicely. Oops I shouldn’t have said that. (He probably has a haircut appointment tomorrow. lol)

Today’s Sunday puzzle courtesy of Pocoelsy’s fine edit skills.

Haha Not Sunday, but it is inside my brain. Enjoy the puzzle. A tad distracted lately.

A just uploaded AI playlist of David’s performances in HD, wow. A reminder how incredible his run on AI was. Thank you FOD for the find.

Abrra takes her chores seriously. Gets them done early. I love the Sunday puzzle and thank you for them. Whatever day of the week they appear.

Dja, that young man in the video at #29 has certainly grown up nicely

Dayzee, Yep, nicely for sure. He continues to surprise and impress me.

32. cc halo said

It’s very interesting to see that David was with Shirley Halperin. She’s been pretty rough on him in the past, including an entire column mocking the liner notes on his first album. He does have a way of winning over harsh critics, though, so this could be a very good sign.

Cc halo, I’ve been trying to contain myself haha. I remember her not nice words towards David. Now she sounds like I love me some David and yes even the meanies change their mind with some David contact. And then her husband music recording producer person there too?!

I sure can’t to find out!!!😁

Wouldn’t it be funny if David works with her husband and Shirley feels she HAS TO say nice things. LOL Karma??

Although I’d rather she said nice things about David because she really meant it. It sounds like she’s on her way to liking him so I’m hopeful.

Music writing today!

Great puzzle Abrra… thanks for posting it a day early, my Sunday will not be a day of rest tomorrow with everything that has come up to fill the time (which also takes away my puzzle time).

37. Nice lead picture!!
    Yay for music writing today!!
    Have to laugh at that tweet
    . Sooooo, would I totally give up a weekend of sunbathing, if David came to write music with me?
    Hmm, let me think. Dang, I’d be firing up that grill and feeding him too.good thing I am just a fan. :))

Still can’t stop playing HLIY today.Sure hope to hear that one day, LIVE!

Gonna try the puzzle now.Thanks Abs♥
    Have a good rest of the weekend everyone :))
    ps. I keep reading your recaps over and over again Dayzee and Bluesky.
    Thanks again for taking us there,(I had a good time!♥)

Thanks for the great Sunday puzzle on Saturday Abs! Love puzzles any ol day! 🙂 3 Davids are better than 1!

Ray, I’m thinking like you. 🙂

Thanks to Janelle for transcribing the speech.

Abs, some more goodies for the candy jar. Sweet!!!!!

Writing songs with David is much more interesting than sunbathing!!! #jmo 🙂

Regarding Shirley Halpern, once she is in the vicinity of hearing David sing, talk or just watching as he relates to people, she is sure to like him.

Lady V called the song they wrote #anotherblessingofasong! I won’t venture into what she means exactly but I know it has to be #somethinggood!

Kudos to Janelle for transcribing David’s entire speech. I know how time-consuming a process it can be because I transcribed his post-mission One on One interview. This time, I think I will read the speech before I listen to him give it. Seems the timbre of his speaking voice is so beautiful that it can distract me from hearing what he’s actually saying. Oh the joys of being a fan! haha

Kari food tweet.

Just a little Greek for dinner with @gia_archuleta @annamack23 @davidarchie and Chasen.

A post shared by Kari Sellards (@karisellards) on

Last night I spent an hour listening to To Be With You. The one on the David Archuleta album with Kara DioGuardi singing background. I wish Kendra could find that balance. More of a supporting shadow and less of an attempt to eclipse.

Yes, this is the album with the endless album notes. Teeny letters covering all available space on paper. I loved David’s explanation that he wanted to be sure to thank EVERYBODY. And he did. Even a thanks for all of us here at The Voice:: “I’d like to thank all my fans.” It was fun to get out my magnifying glass and read through that epistle once again. My thanks to Cc Halo for mentioning Shirley Halperin’s response to the liner notes and jogging my memory. That Archuleta kid was the epitome of grateful.

Thank you, Janelle! I really appreciate the time and effort that you took to make that transcription!!

And thank you so much, Djafan, Abrra, Bebereader, Jans, Skydancer, Tawna, SandyBeaches, MT, Cc Halo, Ray, and my dear seat-partner Dayzee.

Dayzee made it all possible for me to go in the first place. ^_^ (I thought you knew Dayzee, that I was taking that pic of your keychain to send to the site here *_*. I did not mean to surprise you.) I am so grateful to you for letting me come. Big, big hug!!!

And thanks to the ever hard working Admins! Three cheers!

I keep reading his talk and being SO impressed all over again. It is like some kind of instant Alshiemers DA style. He must be affecting my brain.

44. usa born said

“That Archuleta kid was the epitome of grateful’.

Not so much anymore. At least not to or for his fans. Still has not acknowledged how grateful he is to the fans who waited & are still waiting. But maybe I missed where he said thank you or how appreciative he is for those fans & their loyalty? If so, I apologize.

Bebe, good call to read the transcript before succumbing to that beautiful timbre. When David first started speaking I was overwhelmed by the huskiness of his speech. Yet I had to just sit there and listen and try to be the adult.

Bluesky, I knew you took the pic of my keychain, but could not imagine seeing it posted. I thought you were just messing with me for being the complete fan. Haha. Not that it would be a surprise to anyone here.

Usa, when I was waiting those long months for David’s return, it never occurred to me that he would come back and thank me. I have always felt David gives so much that I am the one who should be grateful. Every envelope I sent to his Apopka fan mail address has contained a thank you card from me This is a new concept for me and I will have to give it some thought. David will never again be that 17-year-old with his first album coming out. I remember him at the radio station debut when he was so excited he could hardly string two words together. Big change from the David I saw last week. I don’t know if I have heard him thank his loyal fans since his return. I have not looked for that. But he continues to give his total being in every performance. Can you imagine David “phoning in” anything? He doesn’t own that type of phone. As long as he stirs my soul I don’t think I could ask for more. But I will give it some thought.

For anyone who wants to save David’s UVU talk, here is a corrected transcript by Janel Woodbury. She listened to the audio again and realized she needed to make a few edits.

Dear USA Born

Thank you for your comment! I have to second Dayzee. Basically, I am not a fan of David Archuleta because he is grateful to me. I am a fan of David Archuleta because I am grateful to him.

When he comes out with a show that is his own show, that is not for the purpose of serving others or where he is just one part of a larger effort, when I hear the music that he is working on, when I know more about the genre(s) he has chosen, (which I have a feeling is not Christian Music, but his own style), when I can learn more of who he wishes to be as a musician (all of which he is keeping deeply under wraps until he feels it is ready), then I can decide if I still like his offerings. Then I can choose again to be or not to be his “fan”.

He owes me nothing. What I hope from him is simply to do his best. I have never been disappointed in that. He has blessed and enriched my life immeasurably.

I hear hurt in your heart. I also miss the other type of closeness. But so far I have no reason not to trust that his new creations will be anything other than wonderful. And that they will continue to brighten, enliven, enrich, and bring healing to my life.

All my best,
    bluesky

Thank you, Abrra!!!! <3<3

49. usa born said

Dayzee,

Not only are we fans, we are “customers” of whatever a music artist puts out for us to purchase, be it music, merchandise, or tickets to concerts. That is how music artist’s make their living. David always found a way to show his appreciation to his fans through twitter, vlogs, blogs or personally during his concerts or M&G’s. We as fans, in turn, showed our appreciation by continuing to buy his music, merchandise and tickets to his concerts. It goes both ways. It takes little time & no cost at all for an Artist to show appreciation and gratefulness to fans using the same social media David used in years past.

Instead, David chose to make a vlog showing his disdain at having to do so and in a reluctant way to appease his impatient fans. Then he wrote a blog which was rather caustic against TPTB who apparently made him act like someone he was not comfortable with. The reality is that THAT person, the personality he was all those years WAS who his fans fell in love with! It was not only the VOICE, it was HIM, who he was. His blog made it seem as if he was not really the real him?!

But still he never said anything about the fans MAYBE made it all worthwhile. Instead he made it seem as if the fans who made possible the career and the financial rewards he was enjoying (or so we thought), was part of the nightmarish years he endured.

I read on another site that David may have somehow been made to think those years when he said more than a few times how he was living his dream, were not really happy. That perhaps he was using his voice in a sinful way instead of the way God wants. He forgot all those people who credited him with the change for the better in their lives. Or the shear joy just listening or seeing him perform brought to his fans. He must have forgotten all those things but remembered only how those years and in effect the fans who were there for him was not what he wanted, was never what he wanted (his words).

I look at all the photos on the sideboards of this site, the ones prior to his mission and I think back to those days, his wide smile, twinkling eyes, laughter and the joy at doing what he loved and making a great living doing it. How fortunate David was being able to share & communicate through music. Only a fraction of the millions of singers make it or get the opportunities David was given.

I would just like David to acknowledge the fans because God may have given him the courage to audition for AI, but the fans made it possible for him to do all he was able to do and is still doing.

Sunday puzzle for realz 🙂 Thanks to @nellie1983 screencap skilz.

51. ray. said

usaborn. just what do you want david to do now, he has thanked us manny timeas in the past for supporting him, BUT sence he has returned form his mission he has not had a concert,or but out anny music for fans to buy,,so right now he hass nothing to think us for, and he owes us nothing. so stop feeling sorry for yourself because he has not thanked you personely,i have been trying to hold things in . i like david would like to understand where all the hatefullness is commeing from toward david, he has done nothing but try to live HIS life has he sees fit.you are not getting thousand of twitter a day telling you what to do . and critzing you on twittder, if you don,t like jim anny more move on

Usa born,

I won’t fault anyone for how they feel. David has a very diverse fanbase and we all see things differently. I was a little surprised that he didn’t thank fans for waiting when he came home, but that was before I realized how much he had changed. I am a little disappointed that we don’t get more communication from him but he has to do what he has to do. If he feels he needs the solitude, who am I to say that’s not what he should do? I try not to take it personally.

I think, once he releases an album and gets back on stage for fans rather than church related or charity related events, we may see a different David. Once his album is out and he starts performing, he’ll once again have something to thank us for and I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t. He’s admitted it’s taken him longer than expected to get back into the swing of things but I think he’s heading in that direction now.

I freely admit I am an oddball fan. I feel a little differently than some here do but they welcome me anyway. I can sympathize with having feelings that some agree with and some don’t. In fact, I’m quite often a yo-yo fan who feels one way one day and another way the next. LOL But like you, I’m still here. I love his voice. I think he’s a great person, but it’s the music that keeps me here. That and the lovely people who post here.

I am a person who is usually short on patience so the wait has been hard on me. (I think it’s been hard on many.) But somehow, I’ve found the patience without getting too frustrated and I have settled in for the remainder of the wait. 🙂 David has a true gift in that incredible voice of his and I want to be around to reap the benefits of waiting when the full concerts begin. 🙂

53. usa born said

I knew I could count on Ray to come & misconstrue what I was trying to say.

Before David left for his mission, David made this very heartfelt video asking the fans to respect & appreciate the privacy which he felt his mission experience would be. He also thanked the fans for the support shown him. The difference in David’s demeanor in his farewell video and his “I’m alive” video is striking, even taking into account he was two years older.

I did not say I didn’t like David anymore. The point I was making is that David no longer seems to like or want the same fans he made the videos for.

OK, maybe expecting him to thank fans for still being here is asking too much and maybe some fans don’t need his thanks or acknowledgement. Fine. I just don’t think it’s OK for David to behave as if those fans he was so appreciative of no longer exist although many may no longer be around for exactly that reason. Having two concerts sell out in Utah is promising. I would love for him to do as well in other areas as well.

54. Ali said

I understand that there are many different perspectives on the new level of engagement that David has with fans and I respect each person’s right to their own feelings on it. I will point out though to those who may believe that he hasn’t thanked the fans for waiting that David absolutely did thank fans after he returned from his mission. It was in a video that was posted a week after he got home. “I just wanted to thank you for all of your messages, for all of your letters, for all of your warm greetings of coming back. And I thank you for your patience as well and thanks for you patience while I adjust as well because I’m still in that process. But I just wanted to thank you for that.”

55. usa born said

To the Admins here. I didn’t come here to start a negative discussion. I usually hardly ever, or almost never comment on the fan sites. But after listening to David sing He Lives In You, I spent the afternoon listening to old videos of David. It reminded me of how good David is but it also reminded me of all I wrote here today and so I guess I vented more than I should have.

Ali,
    How could I have forgotten that video? Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

Usa Born: ((((((hugs))))))

Nice find and post, Ali. <3<3

You? Odd, MT? NEVER!!! ^_^

(no more odd than I am…. *cough* *cough*)

60. usa born said

Ali,

Yes, I remembered that video. I stand corrected. 🙂

Although after that very short video, what has there been as far as any acknowledgement of his fans in a year other than “I’m alive” vlog which was so not like the David I remembered but revered by some as David being “so mature, strong and assertive”, instead of hurtful and dismissive. IMO.

I’ll take my leave now because I really have to go. Have a nice evening.

61. ray. said

usa born why don,t you use the same name here as you do over at sd,, you must lurk ther a lot and comment, noweingh i would misconstru words, which i didn,t. the natives are restless lol

This is my go-to video these days when I’m missing “the voice.” It ALWAYS makes me smile. 🙂

USA Born,

I don’t see a negative discussion but a sharing of perspectives and opinions and that is slways welcomed. We are like MT said a very diverse fan base with different life experiences and varied expectations from the same guy, David. No rightt or wrong in that.

MT, yoyo fan lol I like am looking forward to what is to come. The recent Halperin tweet and the meal with a marketing, branding person, anna show me that slowly but surly David is lining up his ducks 🙂

Ali, Thanks for the reminder of that thanks vlog. He did think of his fans right away but that transition back seems to have been tougher than he expected. David made mention of this at the Rootstech.

Bluesky, I too miss David’s contact with his fans like many but I’ve settled in to the way things are and waiting for the new music!

64. usa born said

I was getting ready for bed (I’m a nurse & have an early shift) when I got an email from another David fan I met at a concert who “knows” me and feels the same as I do. She told me I just had to come to TV again if I had time. I thought there was some great news like a new concert added or something like that. So needless to say I was disappointed.

I see it was just so I could see Ray’s response to my posts here. I have never commented at SD. If I did, it would have been a long, long time ago and I would have used the same name. It’s sarcastic responses & put downs by Ray which keeps fans like me who may not see eye to eye with every other fan about everything David does but still greatly admires him & loves his voice, from commenting on his fan sites like this one.

But thank you MT for the video of David singing Mirrors, one of my favorite songs.
    Nice way to end the day. Good night. 🙂

65. ray. said

ok guys i don,t always see eye to eye with david, but i don,t go on to a fan site and complain about him, its his life ,like it or not,just don,t spread lies,about him,and you won,t have to worry about me, thats all ther is to it,he did thank us when he came back,.WELL YOU SHURE LURK AT SD.OTHER WISE YOU WOULDNT NOW ABOUT ME

66. ray. said

GOOD NIGHT ALL

67. TOfan said

Dayzee & Bluesky, thanks so much for the recaps! And Abrra for your mp3 magic! ♥ ♥ ♥

Usa Born, I feel your pain! But David’s been pretty blunt about what to expect from him, going forward:

“I do not want to be the suck-up type just so I can get more fans, more likes, more attention and fame. … I know I may disappoint people for not being as interactive as before or who I showed myself as before, but man is it refreshing to not have to apologize for who I am and care about upsetting people anymore just because I am not what they want or expect me to be… and could care less if I am getting everybody’s attention for the sake of fame.”

Djafan…. I’m right there with you!! ^_^

As far as I can see, the sky is the limit.

Another great puzzle Abs! It was so much fun. 🙂

Just last Wednesday at the Synposium: “David: I’d like to thank Dr. Griffin for inviting me here and to UVU for hosting this wonderful event. And I’d also like to thank all of you for coming here tonight for sharing this evening with all of us here. Thank you (Applause), thank you.” #4thankyous 🙂

Dayzee, I also sent thank you cards to David. I couldn’t help it, with everything he has done for me, of sharing his God given talent. I told him once that he is probably sick and tired of me thanking him. 🙂 I’m just going with the flow, however he wants to do things. Just as long as I can hear him sing. #guessimeasytoplease 🙂

Thanks for bringing over the AI video. Dja. Going down memory lane with David was interesting, knowing what we know now about things that he went through. So glad he quit the job in Murray that he loved! 🙂 I fell in love again with his voice that started it all. Shows me again that this guy is a genious, was a genious in every song that he sang on that show along with putting up with the bull that they gave him. And 17 years old at that! He said in his book that the reason that he forgot the words to WCWIO was because they changed the song on him the day before the show that he had practiced all week. He was to sing “Hey Jude” (and I would love to hear him sing that) and they changed it on him. And then Simon had to call it a “mess”! I won’t watch anything that has him on it. Maybe sour grapes, but he didn’t need to be so blunt about it..or to any of the contestants. To me he acted like a “know it all” and I think David knows more in his little finger than Simon does in his whole body!!! 🙂 #justtakingupforanothergrandson! 🙂 #justolsoftheartedme #7yearsalready?? #WOW

I remember Dean Kaelin, David’s vocal coach saying that AI was just another reality show masquerading as a singing competition! #wasaschoolofhardknocks #Davidsurvived #Davidisawesome!

71. usa born said

Don’t know if this will post because I’m sending via my phone.

TOfan,

I appreciate you posting that quote by David, but wow. All I get from it is how he was “sucking up” to us so we would like him and to get more fans. And so now he just doesn’t care what we want or what we think about him? And that’s refreshing for him?

OK. I concede that David is a different person now. It Just makes me sad and I really can’t explain why.

Hope all have a good day. You too, Ray. 😉

So Janelle gave us a written version of David’s entire speech. And when she was done she didn’t say “Whew! That’s over!” but instead she made the effort to improve on her original transcript and made it better, more complete. She sounds like a David-type person to me. I appreciate her dedication.

Jan, can you imagine if David had been unable to give up that perfect job? Would he still be doing sound work in some dark booth? And what would we be doing?

74. oliveoil said

USA Born, I can understand how you feel hurt by some of the things David has said since he came back from his mission, but I really don’t believe he is dissing his fans at all. What I understand him saying is that it is refreshing ( less stressful ) to finally be himself and not have to do all the things his record company, management, writers, ( all those voices saying this is what you need to do ) and trying to be someone ” cool, edgy, current, ” just to be popular and get more fans and recognition. He wants to be real and make music that he is happy with. He will still have an audience who will appreciate that. I believe he was sincere, happy, and thankful for all the fan support, making video blogs,and communicating frequently, but he probably would have liked to have more quiet time as well. Now he can do that. I do hope that once he puts out his new music we will hear more from him too, but hey, whatever, I’m still going to be his fan.

OliveOil,

I agree with you and the points you made about David not dissing his fans. David was always a people-pleaser. He pleased his parents, the label, friends and fans. How hard it must have been to constantly keep that up? He spoiled us. Who wouldn’t want that all the time?

Pre-mission, when he sent us vlogs, he was conscientious and made sure he started from where he left the last one off, giving us information on where he was on business and even on family vacations. That was a lot of information and more than most artists give to their fans. Many artists release an album, make public appearances and disappear until they tour.

In addition, the way he expresses himself has always been awkward which leads to us misunderstanding what he really means. Yes, he has greatly improved but not to the point where his words are always easy to understand. For example, I still try to figure out what exactly he meant by ‘respect’ in his last vlog before he left on the mission. Did it mean not to utter his name online for two years? Did he want his fansites to close down for two years? Did it mean to never ever post a picture of him online, even posed pictures in non-mission clothes? Or did it just mean not to follow him around if you spotted him in Chile?

There’s no way to find out what he really means, no way for him to clarify what he means in his vlogs because vlogs aren’t interactive. You just have to makes sense of them in your own way and sometimes what makes sense to us isn’t necessarily what he meant.

I’m glad David realizes that he doesn’t have to please the world, just himself and the people who matter most to him. I happen to like him a lot. I wouldn’t be hanging around here for the last seven years if I didn’t. haha. He has already done so much to help people in more ways than he cares to admit. He may be awkward at times but he’s a work in progress and I have so much faith in him. I just know that his ‘best is yet to come’.

OliveOil & Bebereader

*clapping* You both said it so very well. Thank you!!

77. usa born said

I just want to clarify that I don’t “feel hurt” by David’s lack of concern for how he’s perceived now. Its more disappointment and bewilderment.

I can see I’m in a very, very small minority here (the only one it seems) with how I see David and the man he is now. He is not what I envisioned he would be like when he returned. I certainly never thought he would say some of the things he has but I have to give him kudos for having the courage to say them.

I guess I have to either accept and support him as he is or move on. A lot to ponder as he would say. Much will depend on David, what he does & what he says in the months ahead. Thanking his fans here who were understanding. I appreciated being able to give my point of view.

Bye now.

78. Olive oil said

Bebereader , Bluesky,and USA born, thank you for your comments. I can totally relate to what you say. I find David to be a real enigma. So many contradictions. That’s part of what makes him so interesting. I never know exactly what to expect from him anymore. That lip sinc, the Middle East tour, speaking at a religious symposium, and of course the beautiful voice! We may not know what the future holds for him, but its a fun journey.

79. poof said

Just a thought: David is a modest person. When he returned from his mission, he had no way of knowing if any fans Did wait for him. As USA born said, we are customers as well as fans. Most of us hadn’t been customers for a while. I can see David thinking it would be presumptuous for him to thank us for being there for him, when perhaps we had all disappeared.

80. lynnella said

What I think often happens is, we think we know a celebrity by who they let us see. Most times, we really don’t know them at all. In David’s case, he let us see who he thought we wanted him to be. He was young and being influenced by those in charge of his career. Now that he’s a man and in charge for himself, he’s being more guarded about how much of himself he wants to share. His main purpose for having a career was to share the music, not himself. He’s finding that most fans want more of him, along with the music. So, I think he’s having a hard time deciding where to draw the line. Some of us want more than he’s willing to give, and some of us are satisfied with whatever he shares. I think what will ultimately happen is, fans who are here for more of him are going to either have to be satisfied with what he decides to share, or look elsewhere. He is now the man in charge. I came for the music, I also liked who I thought I saw, and now that he’s back, I still like the music and what I’ve seen of him so far. So, whether he shares anymore or not, I’ll stay for the music.

Lynnella

Lynnella, #80, Amen!

Poof, I think you have a valid point. And when he is where he can see that people are there for him, he always thanks them for coming. He hasn’t changed inside, just how he is presenting himself to the public. His voice has changed……..for the better! 🙂 #allthisisjmo

Maybe he will loosen up more after a bit. I know he’s been back a year, but hasn’t released an album or went on tour yet. Roots Tech showed me that he has loosened up more than the time before and I think the more he performs, the looser he will get… #imjustwaiting #(un)patiently #formoreconcertdates #morecities #fornewalbum

Lynnella, I’m staying for the music too!! 🙂

84. lynnella said

My sister and I were emailing tonight about the Voice show. She knows I like Sawyer, and he didn’t have as strong a song tonight, but they overwhelmed him with an orchestra, and he’s just used to playing his guitar. I told her people will vote for him anyway, because he’s likable. That’s what Ryan Seacrest said about David once, you’re so likable. I picked David as my favorite that year when I saw his audition. I stuck with him through all of the competition and was so disappointed when he didn’t win. I’ve been his fan for all these years, even when he was gone, so why should I desert him now while he’s trying to navigate his way through his “new” career. That’s basically what it is. He is feeling his way as he goes. He’ll figure out exactly how he wants it to be, and I’ll still be here watching and listening. I’m sure a lot of others will too. It seems like every time he sings, he gets new fans. Those who “weren’t really David Archuleta fans, but wow he’s incredible live”. I still remember that comment from a girl at the Sypmosium. I feel like paraphrasing a quote from Field of Dreams – If you sing it, they will come. So true.

Lynnella

72…shhh I won’t say it too loud cause he might go cut it, but David’s hair looks good. 🙂

Lynnella, I didn’t care for the song Sawyer sang for some reason, And I think he’s more comfortable with his guitar. I did like that he hit some higher notes. Still voted for him! 🙂

I agree with you on David navigating his way through his new career. I’m with him all the way. Like I said before, why quit something that makes me smile! 🙂

86. lynnella said

Jan11 – Agreed, and he makes us grin from ear to ear.

Lynnella

87. angelofdja said

I’m here for the music too! I have watched and listened to this remarkable young man since I saw him on The Jenny Jones Show! I LOVE David singing anything! Really, who sings Happy Birthday better than him? 😉

88. ray. said

RIDDLE ME THIS i multiply: but never breed; live on air but never breathe. devour much,but never eat; i,m often measured by my heat. what am i

Bebe,

“The loss I feel is what used to seem like daily communication between him and us. But I realize that was never a normal fan-artist relationship. So I’m learning to live without the daily tweets of a personal nature. He’s not my friend.”

Having never been a fan of anyone before David this has always helped me put things into perspective. I’ve gone and checked out others and for the most part those that do it’s not them but somebody doing it for them, not personal at all.

USA Born,

Actually you really are not in the minority. I have experienced those same emotions, disappointment, lead to bewilderment, to acceptance for me eventually lol As have many others. I do see that fire in his performances that seems more intense than before. So I think the communication will increase as stuff happens.

Olive Oil,

” I find David to be a real enigma. So many contradictions. That’s part of what makes him so interesting. I never know exactly what to expect from him anymore. That lip sinc, the Middle East tour, speaking at a religious symposium, and of course the beautiful voice! We may not know what the future holds for him, but its a fun journey.”

Poof,

I expect tears from him and us when he takes the stage for his fans 🙂

Lynnella,

“So, I think he’s having a hard time deciding where to draw the line. Some of us want more than he’s willing to give, and some of us are satisfied with whatever he shares. I think what will ultimately happen is, fans who are here for more of him are going to either have to be satisfied with what he decides to share, or look elsewhere. He is now the man in charge. I came for the music, I also liked who I thought I saw, and now that he’s back, I still like the music and what I’ve seen of him so far. So, whether he shares anymore or not, I’ll stay for the music.”

Perfectly said!

Jans,

“#imjustwaiting #(un)patiently #formoreconcertdates #morecities #fornewalbum”

Heck yes!!!

USA born,
    I think Djafan (comment #89) is right. Many of us have gone “through the stages.” I’m lucky to have a few people that I talk to or text or email that have talked me though it. And I’m so glad they did!! As I did above, when I’m missing David, missing that voice, I just pull up my latest favorite video and listen. It’s pretty much guaranteed to make it all okay for me. I don’t know if he’s glad I’m here, but I am. 🙂

Hang in there. When he releases new music and starts performing again, things will get better. 🙂

Jan,
    “#imjustwaiting #(un)patiently #formoreconcertdates #morecities #fornewalbum” <<< haha Awesome tags! Me too! 😀

PS I like Sawyer Fredericks on The Voice. I hope he stays to the end.

91. oliveoil said

I’ve never liked the song that Sawyer selected to sing. I think the melody is boring and redundant. But I really love his voice !!

Ray…. is it Fire or Flames? Wild guess.

93. lynnella said

Jan11, MT and Oliveoil – I would love to hear Sawyer sing something more upbeat. I love Man of Constant Sorrows, although the title isn’t upbeat (haha), but the beat of the song and the way he sang it was amazing.

It’s all in song choice. I remember David singing that Chris Brown song on Amer. Idol. When he sang I need you boo, I just cringed. I don’t think we’ll see anymore of that from David.

Lynnella

94. oliveoil said

Does that mean there won’t be a white Chris Brown ? haha

95. lynnella said

Oh please God, NO! The one we’ve got is enough. Although, I did see that he’s mellowing because he’s now got a daughter about 10mos. old. I saw her picture and she’s a cutie. They say he’s really smitten with her. Funny how a guy having a daughter can make a big change in attitude. I hope he remembers that the women he goes out with are all someone’s daughters too.

Lynnella