Pennies from Heaven
Posted by djafan on Monday, January 31, 2011
When I was a little girl growing up in Baton Rouge, there was no zoo but there was a children’s show called The Buckskin Bill Show. Every day he would remind the populace of this lack with the refrain, “Remember, Baton Rouge needs a zoo.” We children were assigned the task of buying an elephant. How long it took to accrue the amount needed, I don’t know. I know it went on for a long time. I mean, how much does an elephant cost, even in those days? Then there was shipping and handling to consider which must have cost a pretty penny. In fact, that’s exactly what it cost. How does one eat an elephant? One bite at a time. How does one buy an elephant? One penny at a time. Kiddies would traipse across the set of the Buckskin Bill Show putting their pennies in a barrel. Some would empty a bagful, some would put in only one cent but eventually enough was collected to buy not one but two elephants. They were named Penny and Penny Too.
That experience taught me something about how great things can be accomplished by small means.
A few days ago I asked for people to join our newly formed group on Angels for a Cause to help with Rising Star Outreach. Many of you have joined us and have donated money already to help uplift and give aid to those with leprosy and the far-reaching effects on their children. I know, too, that many folks are going through some difficult times with the economy as it is.
So here is my cunning plan. We all have spare change lying around, in purses, in bowls, in couches and elsewhere. I found a bag of change that I have had on the floor of a closet so long I had all but forgotten it was there. I poured it into a basket and added more change to it from a jar in the kitchen and a tray in my car. Here is what I ended up with.
I then took it to a grocery store and poured it into one of those coin collection machines. It printed out a voucher that I brought to a cashier who paid me cash. Do you know what was in that basket? $181.77! Enough to buy 3 bricks and then some! Just lying around collecting dust.
This is the cunning part of my plan. Anyone can do this. Gather your coins, convert them to cash and make a contribution to Rising Star Outreach. It doesn’t matter how small the amount or how big. Then email us at email@example.com with how much you gave. We won’t post names of anyone just individual amounts, and a running total that we hope will grow and grow, one penny at a time.
I will be bringing my basket to work tomorrow. Lots of people come through my office every day and I will be asking them to donate their spare change to help the children of leprosy in India. I think they will be willing to do that. For thousands of years, the victims of leprosy and their families have had to beg for any small change just to survive. For a little while, I can do that for them to help ensure they never have to again.
I also want to make necklaces using a shiny new penny as a pendant and mail them out to everyone who joins our group on AFAC. It’s your choice of course, if you want to wear it but I think they will make great advertising. If anyone asks you why you are wearing a penny around your neck you can tell them what it represents. Hope for a better world, one penny at time.
So here is the plan:
1. Join The Voice group if you haven’t already and want to be a part of something wonderful. angelsforacause.ning.com
2. Donate whatever you can, even if it’s just loose change lying around your house or purse. Check under the sofa cushions. It’s almost time for spring cleaning anyway. No amount is too small. $5.00 is fine. Of course, larger donations are also welcome if you are able. Be sure to type in the comments when you donate that you are from The Voice group for AFAC.
3. Let your coworkers know about Rising Star Outreach and have a receptacle for change handy if they want to help out.
4. Email us at the voice firstname.lastname@example.org with the amount of your donations since joining The Voice group on AFAC. We will be keeping a running total of all contributions and will post it here on the site and on AFAC.
5. Once I get the necklaces made I will need everyone’s home address sent to email@example.com or the contact page above.
So that’s the plan. The goal is a million pennies for Rising Star Outreach.
A gathering of angels showering pennies from heaven. Continue to let us know in the comments on the site if you bought a brick and what you had engraved on it. What did I have engraved on the three bricks I bought with my change? Pennies From Heaven.