From Perimenopause to Pomonapause

Posted by djafan on Sunday, March 7, 2010

The one year anniversary of my first David Archuleta concert is coming up on March 17th and it got me thinking back to the person I was before this life-altering experience.  So many things have changed, from being a lurker to now being an administrator on a fan site.  If anyone had told me what I’d be doing now, I’d have told them “You’re crazy!”  Nevertheless, it happened and it’s been a rough road to where I am now but I love the joy I feel.  You have to understand, I taught my kids never to be fans of celebrities.  I explained to them that celebrities are just people like us, so there was no reason to become a fan.  Yet here I was doing exactly the opposite of my teachings. I really didn’t know what was going on myself.  But I took comfort in the discovery that there were others like me online.  I was no longer alone on this journey.

Rewind to a year ago last November.  I started experiencing symptoms that were attributed to perimenopause, a hormonal imbalance.  The doctor suggested natural remedies like herbal teas and relaxation techniques.  These helped some but I’m used to being in control and these symptoms were wreaking havoc in my life.  The crazy thing I discovered was that listening to David’s voice, either speaking or singing, was the only thing that brought me a relief and a calmness that I still to this day don’t understand.  Every time I felt any symptoms coming on, I would run to the computer, click on YouTube and strap on the headsets.  Watching videos of David brought me instant relief but also weird looks from my family.  Adding to the problem was the harsh reality that, while bringing blessed relief, it was taking up my time to the point that utilities were being shut off.  Pay the water bill or listen to David?  Once, I actually  had to battle with the water company to get them to turn my water back on the same day.  I was just too preoccupied with my natural hormonal therapy to pay the bill.  Needless to say, this didn’t make me very popular at home either.

So naturally, when I found out that David was going to be in concert in Pomona, minutes from my home, I had to go.  The venue was a general admission moshpit.  I don’t do well in enclosed spaces or standing for hours which would surely only be made worse by the menopausal symptoms I was experiencing.  My family didn’t think it was a good idea, but I explained that it would HELP my symptoms and that maybe I wouldn’t spend so many hours on the computer.  Little did they or I know what was to come.  I never expected the change I would experience would go well beyond the “change of life.”  I listened to David all morning calming and preparing myself, or so I thought, for what was to come.  Is that even possible?  You decide as you read here some excerpts from a recap of my first ever David concert experience.

Where do I start? I can’t get this silly grin off my face with all these random thoughts of the Day I witnessed the most amazing and gifted singer /performer I’ve ever seen.  I waited over 9 hours to see him.  The first act not so good in my opinion, but I took the advice of dawn65, bliss and others to mosh.  So I braved it out and don’t have a single regret, I’d do it again in a heartbeat, but only for David.   Everybody needs to do this at least once.   Have I mentioned how absolutely gorgeous he is?  He glows, his aura envelops you.

His facial expressions, his smile draws you in, his eyes… his gaze is hypnotic.  His body, his movements are raw and electrifying.  I would never like him to choreograph his moves, he moves to the music so naturally and his hand movements, his hands, oh my, his hands, I’ve never seen hands like those.  He didn’t look tiny or thin to me, his outfit was perfect, (this is my pick for best outfit, he wears green well) he looks larger than life dancing and bouncing around the stage.  His energy is intense.
I had such a diverse group around me, women, men, teens and various ethnicities, I decided then that I was going to open myself to David and react to each and every moment.  I screamed, jumped, whistled, chanted, laughed, yelled out I love you David as loud as I could, these emotions just free flowed out of me.  I’ve listened to the YouTube and I almost fell out of my chair, I can hear myself doing all of the above and I don’t care, I’m past blushing.  At the end of Angels his eyes glistened, he looked out at the audience and touched his heart and said “Thank you” with such sincerity, I cried.  I feel so overwhelmed with all the emotions I felt.

Video by jwipe

Who talks like this?  My pre-concert self is barely recognizable from the person who wrote this recap from a year ago.  That person never would have expressed herself this way.  Many say my personality has changed and I agree that it has.  But I sometimes wonder if this was me all along and it took menopause and this young man to allow myself just to be me.  The good thing is that my symptoms have improved and when they do act up “David Archuleta, The Voice” takes care of them.  Now, what to do about this ODD that has taken over my life?   Guess I’ll just have to be a good girl and take my medicine.

115 Responses to “From Perimenopause to Pomonapause”

1. pabuckie said

Djafan!! What a great article. It’s witty, it’s fun, it’s beautiful, it’s amazing!! I loved every minute of it! Especially this line: “I never expected the change I would experience would go well beyond the “change of life.” YES! David is better than medicine I keep saying! He could cure any illness in my opinion? Anybody depressed? Take a dose of DAVID! haha

I can’t see the video to click on maybe u could embed it so I can hear David and yourself acting CRAZY like the rest of us!!
    Being a diabetic myself, I never thought I would be able to stand for 19 hours and it sounded NUTS but I had to see David at the CD signing. I kept saying? How do I eat, what if I need to use a bathroom? How do I do this? But, something inside me and the draw to David just told me I HAD TO!! And, I did and it was the most exhilarating day of MY LIFE!!!!

Thanks for this article Djafan it really captures how we feel about David and the SUPERSTAR quality he really has!

2. pabuckie said

Djafan – Nevermind I realize the video is on the upper right (slideshow) I can see that it must be a PICTURE I don’t see in the middle cuz I see a big blank white spot with Jwpie’s name underneath. I have to read this article AGAIN!! Our ODD ain’t going awaaaaaay, yeah, yeah yeaaaaaaaah!! It really is funny and amazing how David captured our hearts, our souls, our LIFE – haha!

3. pabuckie said

So this GUY we all have ODD about is the same GUY whose having a hard time making a decision about which sharpie to use!! LOVE HIM!!

4. Fiona said

Dja, yay, I’m not crazy or if I am I’m not the only one!!!! LOVED your article, so true of so many of us! David is like medicine for me too and I told my (non-David) friend the other day that he is my drug of choice! She is open-minded so she said “Hey, whatever works for you”! I love the way you write – please do more articles. Ok, “off to take my medicine like a good girl”!

5. archiesfan4life said

djafan – NOW I know why my hot flashes are decreasing in both intensity and frequency! Thank you for making this connection for me – I will be sure to follow your advice and continue the David therapy – more reasons to spend even more time here:).

6. Fiona said

PS I am “fi” from the voice chat room! 🙂

Hey, I might be crazy but I don’t give credit to the change of life (as one calls it), to being something to deal with, because I believe that life has just got to do the changing and catch up with the great people who have lived a few decades and are so special. The goings on in life (which can be boring,tedious and outdated), need adjusting to accomodate the lovely people.

Yes Abrra, this is a downright crazy theory but one I like at least for today.

Well, djafan this is a super reading (you keep secret such good surprises) and if this is the medicine that you take then ‘may your prescription never run out’…I have a lifelong one as well.

The pictures are wonderful…

Djafan…Did this get posted late last night just after I left?…People were up late at the chat party!

I am spamming but I have to say I love the SlideShow…and may David ‘never’stop singing ZERO GRAVITY…we’re outa here Blue Butterfly!

10. Jane said

I love the article and love the site..Best every…Keep up the great work….Best medicine anyone could have…Love it.

11. pabuckie said

Looks like David’s Book has a NEW RELEASE DATE — June 1st!
    Maybe it’s to coincide with his new single or CD?

12. pabuckie said

Some more medicine!

13. pabuckie said

FSteven Reason for delay: Editor’s attempts to convince author to remove all ‘lol’ and ‘haha’ in manuscript is taking longer than expected. Lol

14. frances francois said

I JUST LOVE THAT ARTICLE. THAT SOUNDS LIKE SO MANY OF US. I TOO WAS WONDERING AT MY FIRST CONCERT WHAT WAS I TOO DO. I ACUALLY GOT TO MEET HIM AND LET ME TELL YOU THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT. HE SIGNED MY PICTURE THAT WAS IN THE PACKAGE ALONG WITH THE MEET AND GREET. THAT WAS IN WAUKEGAN AND HE WAS ON VOICE REST SO WE DIDNT GET TO TALK TO HIM TOO MUCH. SO HE DID AUTOGRAPHS AND IT CAME TO ME IT WAS MY BDAY PRESENT SO I ASKED HIM TO SIGN HAPPY BDAY FRANCES SO HE DID AND WHEN I LOOKED AT IT HE SIGNED IT WITH A I INSTEAD OF A E. KRISTEN TOLD ME I COULD GO BACK IN LINE AND SEE IF HE COULD FIX IT, HE WAS SO KIND AS TO FIX IT AND YOU NEVER KNOW HE CHANGED BUT I DOTTED I LOL. HE SAID OH IM SORRY AND WHISPERED HAPPY BDAY AFTER THAT I WAS JUST IN A TRANZ. HAHA BEST DAY EVER AND I WAS FRONT ROW AT THE RAVE AND HE TOUCH MY HAND 3 TIMES. WOW WHAT A EXPERIANCE. SORRY THAT ITS LONG BUT DAVID MAKES YOU HAVE LOTS TO SAY. THANKS

15. frances francois said

SORRY WHEN I SAID THAT WAS IN WAUKEGAN I MEANT THAT IT WAS IN MIL. I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE OTHER ONE I WENT TO IN WAUGKEGAN FOR HIS CHRISTMAS TOUR THAT WAS MY SECOND MEET AND GREET. SORRY

16. Lovnangels said

OMG, this was me 1 year ago! You captured it all. Every day I tell myself that this craziness will fade but it doesn’t! I try not to peek at the tweets at work but I can’t help it. He makes me smile! He makes me be a better person. He is my hormone therapy!

Welcome aboard to our new posters; Jane, Frances Francois and Lovnangels!

djafan: Bravo! I love your candid account of how David helped you through a difficult time. It’s not our imagination; something about him is definitely healing. If I had a hangnail, would David’s smile heal it? LOL PMS? nooo problema! haha But is it just his smile? Okay maybe it’s the combination of his smile and his voice. But let’s not forget the smooth sound of his voice when he speaks, too. Add his personality to the mix. I think it’s all of the above plus more. I’ll say it again; I’m so thankful that he’s part of my life.

I remember reading your Pomona recap last year and how it made me feel like I was right there with you in the moshpit! You described David and the exhilarating performer he is, perfectly! Thanks for a good read!!!

SB: Fun time in chat last night! Glad you were there!
    Brought my comment over from last night:

“bebereader said
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 2:10 AM e

Who thinks David will get his haircut before he leaves for Nashville? LOL

djafan#102 I heard from emi by email. She is having computer issues and will try to be back online asap.

Had a fun time tonight at The Voice Unplugged. Thanks to all who joined me! We are quite a diverse fanbase, representing four different countries tonight! All because of a beautiful, brilliant and talented young man!

Dear David: You are so loved!!!”

Pabuckie#2: Glad to see you’re back! I used to have the same problem; I couldn’t see videos embedded in articles. They appeared as blank spaces. But when I took Abrra’s and dja’s advice and installed Firefox, it solved the problem.

Loved this post, dja the handholder!

This line in particular: “His aura envelops you”
    It does.
    And it never, ever goes away.

20. pabuckie said

Hi! I’m still stuck on the fact that David touched Frances Francois’s HAND 3 TIMES in MILWAUKEE NONETHELESS!! haha

New video compilation of David’s Little Rock, AK solo show by YouCanCallMeTina. It’s well worth the watch!

#7
    You knew I was gonna say:

to your “theory” 😉

23. FG said

djafan LOL ROTFL I love every word! Thank you for sharing. Pomona – gosh yes. The vids from Pomona show a glowly, ripe pear-colored David. Gah just gah.

24. Dakgal said

FOR PETE’S SAKE ABRRA! Stop it, already! After that picture, I had to make a very hurried impromptu visit to the ladies room, laughing like a crazed hyena the whole way. Almost didn’t make it. Between DJA’s candid and honest article , SB’s theory and your picture. You three have made my day! I really like laughing, but not when it shocks my system. Abs, if you keep this up, I’ll have to move my computer closer to the bathroom! Chortle–Chortle.

25. djafans said

Pabuckie…. I see your comments! Stick with Pabuckie…lol

“David is better than medicine I keep saying! He could cure any illness in my opinion? Anybody depressed? Take a dose of DAVID! haha”

Well I’m a prime example of what David medicine can do! Thank you for your kind words. Love that video you linked…yup that would be him, our guy…lol

Fiona…Fi…yes I know who you are! One of our chat buddies!

“yay, I’m not crazy or if I am I’m not the only one!!!!”

This has gotten me through some days, knowing that I’m not alone whether crazy or not…And I’m working on getting all these thoughts in my head…there are lots…lol…in print, not the easiest thing for me but I have to work that “muscle of taking risks” like David says…thank you!

Archiesfanforlife…

“NOW I know why my hot flashes are decreasing in both intensity and frequency!”

lol…don’t know how he does it but it works! Come back often for you daily dose!

SB…

“The hormone imbalance means that it is time to have more in your life that is fabulous because, well really, life is not that long. We are blessed to have been given this wonderful person to listen to when he talks and when he sings. Life is far richer now.”

Couldn’t have said it better and I’m living it now…bout time…lol This was posted late last night, soon after you left chat, what a great time we had in chat. For those that haven’t been there please give it a try…David’s medicine there along with a few of us so called “crazies”…lol The slide show was easy, but brought back so many memories and tears…I grabbed all my pictures from that night in the order they were taken, have to give credit to my wonderful daughter who accompanies me to all my David adventures, she also took the wonderful video at the Alma red carpet and was on the receiving end of flirty David…lol She says he is a big flirt and I agree.

Jane…thank you! The best medicine for sure, come back soon!

frances francois…

“I WAS FRONT ROW AT THE RAVE AND HE TOUCH MY HAND 3 TIMES.”

You lucky one! Thanks for your comments…come back soon!

Lovnangels…

“Every day I tell myself that this craziness will fade but it doesn’t! I try not to peek at the tweets at work but I can’t help it. He makes me smile! He makes me be a better person. He is my hormone therapy!”

It doesn’t fade, it gets stronger and love the hormone therapy…lol It works!

Bebe….

“It’s not our imagination; something about him is definitely healing. If I had a hangnail, would David’s smile heal it?”

hahaha…if it didn’t we would feel like it did cuz he makes all our ails fade away…lol Thank you for your kind words and your questions to help me with this writing endeaver. djaafan..writing…funneeee…lol

Betsy….

“Loved this post, dja the handholder!” “This line in particular: “His aura envelops you”

You remember, maybe I’ll write about my David hand holding magical experience…I’m still enveloped…lol…thank you!

Abrra….you crack me up….hahahaha

FG…thank you! He did really glow that night, at the risk of sounding crazier…lol

26. Shawna said

It sounds like I left chat a bit too early last night!!! It sounds like you all werehaving a great time!
    Dja, so when my doc told me to try to wean myself off of my estrogen pill each day I was kind of worried, but now I know why it didn’t affect me to quit taking them—David became my medicine and he alone took those darn hot flashes away, not those yucky pills!! I will have to tell my doc that he needs to prescribe him to all their menopausal patients! He’s a wonder drug and so much healthier for you! Thanks so much for this article! I loved it and I wished I had seen it sooner today but I had too much life in the way this morning and couldn’t visit till now.
    Abs, AWESOME picture– you crack me up!!!
    Love you guys- thanks for making being a David fan even more enjoyable(if that is possible)!!!

27. ram said

djafan-Wow! You HAVE had an amazing journey to now and thank you for sharing it with us crazies. I can definitely appreciate the impact that he has had on your life.

“I would never like him to choreograph his moves, he moves to the music so naturally”. I am in complete agreement about this. He has a natural rhythm, and even though I am sure he gets instruction from his Mom for different dance steps, his movements don’t appear contrived but spontaneous in response to how the music MOVES HIM. For me, it is David “the conduit” all over again.

And just one more thing, ahem, can you tell us a little more about David the flirt? … Or not, if it is “spechul” and not something to be shared. lol

dja
    Your story is legion over the fan base. I bet the teens have a similar tale to tell of overactive hormomes 😉

29. Fiona said

Abbrrrrra! You are wonderful! That pic is classic!!

Dja,

You have a kind of gutsy honesty in your writing that you are just beginning to tap into. Can’t wait to read what else you have up your long sleeves. I love the immediacy of all the emotions in your recap, nothing held back, everything you saw, felt and did right there for us to experience with you…

“His facial expressions, his smile draws you in, his eyes… his gaze is hypnotic. His body, his movements are raw and electrifying. I would never like him to choreograph his moves, he moves to the music so naturally and his hand movements, his hands, oh my, his hands, I’ve never seen hands like those. He didn’t look tiny or thin to me, his outfit was perfect, (this is my pick for best outfit, he wears green well) he looks larger than life dancing and bouncing around the stage. His energy is intense….I decided then that I was going to open myself to David and react to each and every moment. I screamed, jumped, whistled, chanted, laughed, yelled out I love you David as loud as I could, these emotions just free flowed out of me. I’ve listened to the YouTube and I almost fell out of my chair, I can hear myself doing all of the above and I don’t care, I’m past blushing. At the end of Angels his eyes glistened, he looked out at the audience and touched his heart and said “Thank you” with such sincerity, I cried.”

He really is good medicine for whatever ails you. Of course, being just a slip of a girl, I wouldn’t know anything about menopausal symptoms myself. 8)

31. Fiona said

I can’t get on to the voice unplugged! When I click on David’s picture it says sorry can’t find this page!
    Is anyone else having this problem tonight?

FI

Try again? The Livestream server may have been overloaded due to the Oscars being broadcast over Livestream on a bunch of channels. That is a standard message that will come up. Keep trying, ok? If the chat room was ever not working because it was “down” I would post here and let folks know.

Bebe and I are there now. It took a few tries

33. djafans said

Hey Shawna…thank you!

“I will have to tell my doc that he needs to prescribe him to all their menopausal patients! He’s a wonder drug and so much healthier for you!”

I’m glad David worked for you too, but I don’t know if it’d be a good idea to inform your doctor about this, he might give you a referral to a different kind of doctor…know what I mean? lol

Ram..thank you!

“That voice of his has provided solace, inspired me to attempt the previously unthinkable and lifted me to places of sheer joy.”

This continues to amaze me daily…it’s unreal and unbelievable but so dang true. Glad you see what I see when the music “moves” him.

Abrra…so that’s what it is…that picture could be dangerous…lol

Angelica…

“You have a kind of gutsy honesty in your writing that you are just beginning to tap into. Can’t wait to read what else you have up your long sleeves.”

I haven’t decided whether this is a good thing or not, yet…lol David inspired that recap but without your skills and support I wouldn’t be doing any this. I want to thank you for that.

Ram….No secret about his flirty self…here are some screen caps of when I say “David look up” and he looks at my daughter…she’s beautiful

the video at 2:54.

Some pictures from the We the Kings…

Posting Silverfox’s prayer while she’s away:

Good night all, and for David..

Dear Lord,

Please take care of David.
    Watch over him, protect him from all harm.
    Cloak him with your love and give him the strength to endure all that is thrown in his path.
    Give David the courage and guidance to say no to those who ask for more than he can reasonably give.
    Surround David with loving and supportive people who love him unconditionally as we, his devoted Archangels do.
    Separate David from those who have agendas other than for his well being.
    Give him rest when he feels weary.
    Give him stamina to sustain his hectic pace.
    Give him assurance when he feels doubt.
    Give him joy when he feels sad and never allow David to feel alone or lonely.
    Give us the wisdom to ALWAYS DO RIGHT by David.
    Help us support David so that it’s ALWAYS IN HIS BEST INTERESTS.
    CLOAK DAVID IN YOUR PROTECTIVE ARMS always and please keep David and his voice healthy & strong as he fulfills his Destiny which was written in his Book of Life before he was born.
    Though we may be unworthy Lord, we humbly pray. Amen

David, have a good & restful night’s sleep with sweet & happy dreams. Thank you for all you do and for who you are. Keep with you all our love, support & prayers always. Contigo siempre! We will be with you always! TAKE CARE!

♥What a love!♥
    been rewatching this:

*I can stand witness to the power of music*
    *How far music & sound can travel*
    *I’ll never get sick of the music*

38. kaycee said

Been super busy this week and am totally late to the “She’s Not You” party!…I really like the song! Is it OK to download? If so, does anyone know where I can get an mp3 of it?

If The Voice Unplugged link is indicating that the site does not exist, keep trying. That’s Livestream’s silly way of saying that channel server is down temporarily.

Check back often, it will work eventually.

40. FG said

djafan – what brilliant screencaps Gah! Soooo much pretty. Pastor at church yesterday said “God will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear” My first thought was “ORLLLYYYY?” LOL

41. FG said

There was a lot of nostril action in Pomona, in case you didn’t notice. He has the most beautiful nose. LOL 🙂

42. Fiona said

THanks abrra, I did try again and it worked!

43. djafans said

A VIDEO BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. djafans said

I love this guy!

Dja,

Thanks for posting that vlog and the great screen captures. You know what’s coming, don’t ya? It’s processing now. He MAKES me do these things. Dang his precious hide!

49. FG said

gahgahgahgahgah! what a crack-up he is. Somebody just roll me in egg and deep-fry me mmmkay?
    Gaaaaaa so sweeeeeeet. I’m off to work with visions of beanies in my head.

Is there anyone else in this earthly world who can make you smile so much you feel it almost touching your ears, seriously?

Oh, what a character he is…and I bet Nashville loves him right back.

Thanks David for the vlog (you are so thoughtful) and thanks Angelica for the MGR produced in record-breaking-time!!

Djafan…he is excited and makes everyone excited…I forgot to say thanks for the terrific pictures to look at…

I also forgot to mention that I seldom laugh out loud at the computer but last evening Abrra’s #22 made me laugh heartily for quite some time…

Betsy…that is one of my most favorite interviews!

FG…Pomona did have tons of nostril action…Did you notice anything different about his nose on this most recent vlog?

Angelica…We can’t help ourselves…thank you for the mgr!

SB…I haven’t encountered anyone else who makes me smile so much!

LA TIMES INTERVIEW!

55. Emi said

oh wow – David just keeps topping himself in these vlogs.. whoooooo…. hahaha.. love it.. Ok so.. yesterday I am at a beautiful place in Nashville called Radnor Lake for a late afternoon walk.. and in the parking lot, from a distance, I see a dark headed, smallish, guy in jeans and plaid shirt and grey converse sneakers, and he’s standing around talking to some friends and the only thing that kept me from RUNNING up to say “hello” was the way he hugged one of the girls as they said goodbye.. it could NOT have been our David.. ha…. but I am wondering.. Am I going to be doing this all week long?

Something else I’ve been wondering about, and this is pretty random, but when David waves at the beginning of a concert, do you think he says to himself “Hello Fans” the way he says “Hello Band”?

Here’s the Los Angeles Times Interview from comment #54, too good to leave as a link.

Season 7 runner-up David Archuleta has a new album in the works, a book about to hit the shelves, and a very busy few months staring him in the adorably dimpled face. But the 19-year-old native of Murray, Utah, still made time to talk to us between his travels to Nashville for songwriting sessions. The follow-up to David’s gold-selling debut is slated for release later this year, but read on to learn about its progress, as well as David’s experience with the Spanish-language “We Are the World” and his thoughts on the new season of “American Idol.”

What do you think of Season 9 so far?

I just really feel for the contestants. I want to talk to them, to tell them: I went through this, and I know what it’s like. While you’re there, you’re overwhelmed with so many different things. It’s a lot of work but you’re gonna learn so much from it, and there will be so many opportunities that you wouldn’t even imagine coming to you. And all the people who work on “Idol” — so many of them made what I thought was an impossible dream come true. These are the people who can really change your life.

Talent-wise, do they measure up to previous contestants?

I think they’re really talented. They show a lot of their own personalities, and I liked that about them. And there’s some really good singers, too. Like Andrew Garcia, I like the character that he’s shown. I feel like there’s a lot of pressure for them because people are now expecting them to change up the songs, and they’re not sure exactly what to be showing people. It’s matter of balance — changing the song enough to show who you are but still preserving the song for what made it magical.

Is that the secret, David? You would know, having made it all the way to the finale.

It’s difficult. You only have so much time in the day to think about that. Especially for the kids who are in school who study and are supposed to use their brain in another way for a lot of the day. Sometimes it’s hard to focus on both things at once, especially when you have to sing in front of millions of people. But “Idol” is like boot camp — that’s what I always say. It just makes you strong and gives you the knowledge and experience that you’ll need in the future. I’m excited to continue watching.

Tell us about your new material, and how long you’ve been working on it.

I’ve been working on it since January, but I had my first writing sessions in the summer, and I went to Nashville to write in October. Then the Christmas album came out and sort of took over, but I go back to Nashville this week.

Why Nashville?

It’s a really fun town, and I just love the people there. They’re really focused, very humble people, and the writers want the songs to be meaningful. That means a lot to me. It’s just a matter of finding that balance between radio hits and songs that really bring a message across to people. Plus, I love to tell a story, but I want to talk about my own stories, so I’ve been learning a lot about the writing process by working with people like Matt Squire.

Is there something you’re trying to accomplish with this record that you weren’t able to do on the first one?

[Lyrically], I just want it to sound more like me. I want people to say, “This is David talking.” Instead of just interpreting — and I’m sure there will be songs like that — I want to focus on showing people who I am, what my personality is like and hoping that I leave an impression on people. Even if it’s a light, fun topic, I still want it to make people think. I don’t want a typical everyday relationship song. If it’s going to be about a relationship, I want to create an image in people’s minds and let their imaginations go.

Have any current artists helped inspire you as the album has come together?

Jason Mraz, A Fine Frenzy, Owl City, Imogen Heap… those are some of my favorite artists. I love how Imogen gets you thinking and her music paints all these pictures in your mind. Owl City too, the weird abstractness makes all these colors and images come to life in your head. I love it when a song can do that. I don’t wanna get too abstract about it, but I want people to have a good time with the music and for it to match my personality. That’s kind of the goal right now, which is still kind of difficult because I’m still figuring out what exactly I want to do.

Please tell us we won’t be hearing you all auto-tuned. …

I hate auto-tune! There’s a certain emotion that you work on trying to get into your voice all these years, and I feel like auto-tune takes that away. Sometimes imperfections are supposed to be there! I have a hard time singing with it on because I pay so much attention to what is coming out of me, that when what I’m hearing in my headphones is not the same as what’s actually coming out, it really throws me off. So, no, I’m not a fan of auto-tune.

One of your songs, “She’s Not You,” was leaked recently. Is it a contender for this new album?

That was like the third song I ever recorded a year and a half ago. I don’t know how it got leaked. I guess people are hacking into things a lot more, like Jason Mraz’s Twitter [account] got hacked into.
    I recorded over 30 songs for my first album, and this was one of them. It was written by E-Man [Emanuel Kiriakou], who wrote “Crush,” and I really liked recording it, but it didn’t make the record. And now, he worked hard to write that song, record it and produce it, but because it’s not released or for sale on iTunes, he’s not being provided for all the work he did. So I feel really bad for him.

Your book, “Chords of Strength,” is coming out. How do you respond to those who say you’re too young to write a memoir?

I agree with them. When the idea was brought to me, I was like, “Huh? I’m only 19, and I don’t think my life has been that interesting.” At first, I wasn’t sure how I was going to do it. Except in my liner notes [laughs], I was never good at writing a lot. Even in school, I always stayed after class because I’d never finish my essay in time. So writing has been a challenge but something I’ve been working on. Also, a lot of people ask me questions about my life, and I thought this is a great way for me to finally explain how I managed to get to this point at a young age and why I’m still the way I am. That’s the focus in the book: There were so many times when I thought, “I’m not good enough,” or, “There’s no way this is going to happen,” and then it does happen. I like to share those things with people, which is what music’s all about — having even a small influence by sharing my stories.

What was the process like?

It was very challenging, but I feel like it taught me a lot of things. It brought back memories that I completely forgot about because it got me thinking deeper and in more detail.

Last month you joined Emilio and Gloria Estefan, Ricky Martin, Shakira and a host of Latin luminaries to take part in “Somos El Mundo,” the Spanish-Language version of “We Are the World.” How was that experience for you?

It was just amazing to be around so many Latin artists. I was a little nervous because I don’t have the greatest Spanish, but I was able to get by. And my mom idolizes Gloria Estefan, so I brought her with me, which was really special. Plus, I just love to be able to reach out, and I love when people come together for such a good cause. I feel such a love for people [in need] especially now, with all the things that have been happening, not just with Haiti.

Would you consider doing a Spanish album?

I really want to. I love those people. I love what they’re all about, the culture they’ve given to me in my life with my mom’s side of the family. … Latin people are so passionate about music and emotional and expressive that way.

Perez Hilton recently suggested that Gloria Estefan would be a good “Idol” judge. Would you agree?

I think she’d be a really good candidate. She has a lot of knowledge, she’s a songwriter and a performer, she’s been under those pressures and has accomplished a lot in her life. Plus, she’s a very nice, down-to-earth person. I think she’d be a really good candidate.

Any plans for you to appear on the show this year?

I’d love to. I really wanna go back, and I’ve been trying to watch this season as much as I can.

— Shirley Halperin

I agree bebe to good…I put it up on the right side column along with that gorgeous picture.

Great interview and good to see a more current picture of him. David lets us know how he feels about autotune, his up coming CD, The book, and that he wants to go back and perform on AI, I hope it happens for him!

Love this comment on Somos El Mundo

compysnaps (4 hours ago)

¿como se llama el chico a 2:32 ?

What’s the name of the guy at 2:32?

xxDeewanixx (4 hours ago)

aaa el cantante del minuto 2:32 es el papasote de David Archuleta…el ex participante de American Idol….jejeje lo amo!!!

aaah the singer at 2:32 is the big daddy David Archuleta..ex participant of American Idol…hehehe I love him!!!!

I see a more mature David in this recent interview. His answers are well thought out and deliberate. There’s confidence oozing out of his words. Bravo!

Love that LA Times interview. This made the artist in me go all doe-y eyed and melt into a puddle of gooey paint…

Ahhhh…thanks for that. BTW, I have lots of Pomona screen caps I made for this article and didn’t use that are just lying around gathering dust. As long as this is the Pomona David thread, I may as well share them, hmmmmm?

Photobucket

That ought to hold you for now. I’ll post some more later.

ay ayaya Angelica…beauty’s!

Kinda reminds me of you and I had to read again to make sure I was reading right…lol

tweet from @redmetyellow

Meghan Daly just met David Archuleta! She said he has perfect skin and an award winning smile. #fb

red met yellow website…somethings up!

And this is Meghan Daly’s Summary

I’m an illustrator, graphic designer and textile artist. I love all things handmade, textures, and coloring outside the lines.

I am proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Quark and Corel Paint. I have experience in Adobe Dreamweaver and Flash.
    Meghan Daly’s Specialties:

Meghan,

Do not touch his moles. Thank you.

Angelica…I will try to find a way to let her know!

This post at IDF… funeee

I just had to stop my mother from following David Archuleta around Urban Outfitters. I also had to remind her of his age.

66. Fiona said

That tweet is hilarious dja! I have a teenage daughter too so can just imagine how freaked out she would be if that was me following David around the store! (If I was there I am afraid it would be me, but I would be sneaky about it!!) 🙂

“Let their imaginations go”
    Done.

Angelica – you are right. Altogether no photoshopping.

Been busy in The Voice Unplugged all day, gearing up for another Theme Night. Watch for details to be announced in the next day or two.

Angelica,

Those Pomona screencaps are extremely thudworthy. Jeepers!

David said “If it’s going to be about a relationship, I want to create an image in people’s minds and let their imaginations go…Imogen Heap… those are some of my favorite artists. I love how Imogen gets you thinking and her music paints all these pictures in your mind. Owl City too, the weird abstractness makes all these colors and images come to life in your head.”
    When I read this, I immediately thought of you.

I also liked David’s concern and compassion about Eman and the song leak, “She’s Not You”. Here it is: “It was written by E-Man [Emanuel Kiriakou], who wrote “Crush,” and I really liked recording it, but it didn’t make the record. And now, he worked hard to write that song, record it and produce it, but because it’s not released or for sale on iTunes, he’s not being provided for all the work he did. So I feel really bad for him.”

Posting Silverfox’s prayer while she’s away:

Good night all, and for David..

Dear Lord,

Please take care of David.
    Watch over him, protect him from all harm.
    Separate David from those who have agendas other than for his well being.
    Give him rest when he feels weary.
    Give him stamina to sustain his hectic pace.
    Give him assurance when he feels doubt.
    Give him joy when he feels sad and never allow David to feel alone or lonely.
    Give us the wisdom to ALWAYS DO RIGHT by David.
    Help us support David so that it’s ALWAYS IN HIS BEST INTERESTS.
    Though we may be unworthy Lord, we humbly pray. Amen

“I feel such a love for people [in need] especially now, with all the things that have been happening, not just with Haiti.”

Oh David – you are so loved. ♥

I am in some kind of fog here, repeatedly watching the following. This happens all the time. 🙂

72. djafans said

Thank you for the prayer Bebe!

Betsy….he really is loved!

That vlog today…he warms my heart.

73. djafans said

Photobucket

Oh dja! I am loving your screencappiness!

Love the screencap collage Dja! Oh. my. gosh. When I first saw that vlog I thought (with a shudder of horror) that was his new haircut. Not even kidding. I spazzed. I yelled at the screen, WTH were you thinking? We gave you all that advice and you come back looking like MOE?? LOLOLOL! I was never so thrilled to see a beanie in my LIFE!

Well, good morning…I hope that some of you saw the wedding of Bachelor Jason & Molly last night?? IN the pouring rain without a tent, without any cover at all!! But the great happening was that there was a rainbow (or so it seemed) and Jason Castro sang as they walked down the aisle….Somewhere Over the Rainbow…Maybe the rain was fake for the effects?? His singing fit into the wedding perfectly and he had his wonderful smile on…and green shirt like the foilage all around him…He sang a second song at the end as they were walking out…have the name written down away from the computer. I was really pleased for Jason because this was a two hour special and millions would have been watching.

Sorry about the duplication…!

Check out Jason’s appearance on his site and he sang his new single!

79. FG said

djafan what about the nose in the vblog?? What did I miss??

Angelica – death by Pomona screencaps.

check out this gem by Jen Barry

Gah that thumb bend and those perfect fingers and the neck veins

David’s good friend Jason is doing very well! You can listen to his new single, the one he sang at the Bachelor’s wedding…”That’s What I’m Here For”…on his site as I mentioned above…He’s a cheery guy and has a great site to look at…Way to go Jason!

Just need to comment on the comments—I love you guys!!! I just can’t tell you all how much fun it is to relax, giggle, get flushed, gasp at the beauty in the photos, and sometimes weep with all that is said here. Thanks for it all.

dja~ he makes ‘this time of life’ tolerable for me! Thanks for bringing to light a remedy.

TW

FG#79

Uh, where is that concert pic from? I thought he only unbuttoned that next button on his shirt for the Pittsburg show where he first sang Bubbly. Is this the concert where he has to dig for his ear piece and inadvertently unfastens a button? I need a team on this stat! I need a full out thorough investigation…facts, pics, video, the works and I need it NOW!

I need to go stare at that beanie vlog pic for a while.

84. xaris said

Okay Angelica…deep breaths! Isn’t that lovely photo in #79 from Boston, summer tour?

FG–I like your attention to detail when viewing photos….

Cheers everyone!

85. YJfanofdavid said

#83 Angelica, We anxiously await for the full investigative report on The Curious Case of Missing Button… complete with photos, screencaps, MGR, slow motion vids, anecdotal first-person accounts, hearsay, the works!

86. xaris said

…or it looks like the same shirt was worn in Seattle, summer tour. I refuse to speculate on how the second button came undone.

(hides before Abrra catches me spamming)

Xaris,

So we have it narrowed down to either Boston or Seattle, opposite sides of the country. An intriguing twist of fate or pure conincidence? This may take a while.

88. FG said

Hey guys it is Seattle:

89. FG said

glowy sweaty gah

Jehoshaphats jewels! Would that I were home and could use my powers of deduction to unearth this heinous crime against the delicate tranquility of womanhood, I would….eh? Oh, thanks FG. 😆

91. xaris said

FG-glowy sweat FTW! You just kill me, I hope you know that. Why is it when I am hot and sweaty, I look like something my horse has dragged around the pasture, and he looks….um, nevermind.

By the way, y’all turn down the volume before you watch those vids in 88 and 89. That blew my eardrums out.

92. FG said

Just found this flirty David at 1:01 from Portsmouth UK, look at him stare someone down for 12 seconds. TWELVE. He better watch that. Don’t stare at no grown woman that way boy.

93. FG said

Angelica ROTFL!

Yikes! How could we have missed those Seattle videos? Man oh man, had to turn FG’s link into a real pic! Have you ever seen anyone more beautiful?

SB Thanks for the link to Jason’s site. Whomever designed his website deserves an award!

Betsy/Twin#81

“I love that David is invited to stay with people in their homes. I wonder how often that happens with other singers. I would guess not very. I also love that he is staying with these two in particular. Smack dab in the midst of a happy couple in love.”

Get out of my head! LOL I had the same comment yesterday when I saw the vlog. It makes me happy to see David around a loving couple like Joy Williams and her husband. Notice how David rarely stays in hotels anymore? He’s the perfect house guest. Yeah and he probably sings a little, here and there, too. *sighs*

Here is a question that can boggle the mind…well anyway it can boggle mine!

This article has as the opening picture, David deep in concert, looking well I will say ’25’ years old and acting maybe older at times. When you look at his CELD video and many others, he looks about the same. How can he look like 15 year old in the pics of his beanie vlog? How does he do it? How is this dashing young man ready to walk the cities of New York, London, Paris even Rome and then look like the sweet young guy staying in someone’s guest room and so dang excited he saw a friend sing the night before? The contrast is huge…Are there two David’s?

Does anyone know which of the writer or writers might actually be the one/s to write a huge hit or two for David this time around? This is the time for sought after videos and #1 songs. This is his time and I hope that the writers want to have him at the top of the charts because..he..can..really..sing! David makes a plain song special but the writers I hope want to make it big for David. We have seen his ultimate talents…

97. munkmusic said

#96 SandyBeaches, From what I have seen, most all of the writers that David has been writing with have produced platinum records. That is what is so exciting about this whole process. Each of them have their own sound and their own gifts. It will be interesting to see who David gravitates to the most and what sound he comes up with. I am hoping for a variety of sounds like his first album. Can’t wait!

98. xaris said

“How is this dashing young man ready to walk the cities of New York, London, Paris even Rome and then look like the sweet young guy staying in someone’s guest room and so dang excited he saw a friend sing the night before? The contrast is huge…Are there two David’s?”

You are right, SB; the contrast IS huge. I remember watching David on stage singing an incredibly intense Barriers. As soon as the music ended, he peeked around the microphone with that terribly cute, megawatt smile, looking about 15, as if to say “I enjoyed that–hope you guys did, too.” Honestly, you could get whiplash at his concerts flipping between older and younger David. From observing this horde of teenage guys in my life, that contrast just goes with this developmental stage. Let’s face it. Young people who are 15-20 years old sometimes act like they are 25 and sometimes like they are 12! David is just secure enough in who he is to let the world see it and I say, “Kudos to him!”

FG…the bridge. And whew that picture! And loving those videos, hadn’t seen those…You been hunting?

SB..I have it tivo’d haven’t watched yet and I tell you he is an enigma. I don’t even know where to start or finish with him.

Betsy…I don’t think most artists get invited to stay at the homes of the songwriters they’re working with. I think it’s another David phenomenon, but it doesn’t surprise me. He is probably a perfect house guest.

Tawna “he makes ‘this time of life’ tolerable for me!” He sure does!

Angelica…you crack me up!

Hi Xaris! And thank you for the volume advice.

“Let’s face it. Young people who are 15-20 years old sometimes act like they are 25 and sometimes like they are 12! David is just secure enough in who he is to let the world see it and I say, “Kudos to him!”

A huge dittoo to this!

Has anyone seen Ram?

Ram if you’re around…I have something for you at #34.

Abrra…that looks so real!

Cute video

103. ODD Maddy said

I don’t know how much longer I can take it without a new CD or tour. I CAN’T WAAIIT!!! haha!

104. ODD Maddy said

At number #35 I love how David doesn’t put his arms around those girls >:)

It’s TCA nomination time…

cari adams

show details 4:57 PM (33 minutes ago)

Hi, guys. For some reason, I’m unable to figure out how to post on various sites, so I’m resorting to email. I’m from Idol Forums (in the US), and we’re trying to spread the word to David fans about TCA nominations this year. I’ll just copy what I’ve posted elsewhere. Tks for helping if you can!

Hi guys! A few weeks ago, Teen Choice awards started asking folks to request celebrities who they thought should be nominated or who they want perform for them this year. At that time, there were alot of requests for other artists, and very few for David.

TCA is gearing up to launch their 2010 voting site. They are looking for nominations, requests and suggestions right now. We need to keep supporting David and show the TCAs that we care. You can send email requests to Teen Choice Awards at staff@teenchoiceawards.com, or send a tweet to @TeenCAwards2010.

You can recommend that David perform a certain song on the show (which would be awesome promo!) or be a co-host. And you can nominate him for categories, or suggest your own. Examples from previous years:

Choice TV Male Reality/Variety Star, Choice Hook-Up, Choice Music: Male Artist, Choice Music: Love Song, Choice Music Album: Male Artist, Choice Male Hottie (Helllloo), Most Fanatic Fans (us!). Other ideas: Best Duet, Best TV Show Guest, Best Christmas album.

Please take just a minute to do this for David. Thanks

106. ram said

#34 Absolutely G O R J U S! Thank you Djafan. That first one in that sequence, flirty direct eye contact David- shazam!! Looks like your daughter made an impression on David. 🙂 I personally would have slowly slithered down to a pile of mush had I gotten that kind of a reaction. I’m surprised your camera didn’t melt right there in your hands. And you managed to stay calm and collected. You’ve got guts my dear.

He is such a sweeetheart! Love that he doesn’t repress his joy in an effort to be cool. He is the new cool. Natural and genuine. Gracias, amiga.

Is there an “unpluged” party tonite ?

107. ram said

I think I’M
    coming “U N P L U G G E D”. Sorry about the misspell(ing). lol

Ram #106 “Is there an “unpluged” party tonite ?”

Not tonight, but you’re close.
    We’re having Theme Night on Fridays now; the next one is in just a few days on Friday, March 12. Details will be posted very soon.

109. ram said

Thanks, Bebereader. Hope to make it.

110. djafans said

Ram and anyone else….

Please feel free to pop in anytime into The Voice Unplugged chat…there’s usually chatters there including us on any given day. So check in regularly!

111. Emi said

Ram said ” He is the new cool. Natural and genuine. Gracias, amiga.” and I totally agree. We might turn into a kinder and gentler nation yet…

Haven’t seen this one in a while. Wait a sec…did I ever see it? Not sure now.

Wow bebe! I haven’t seen that in a long time! Thanks for finding it.
    Sounds like David had a good time tonight. Love to see him mingling with real artists.

Got to meet a bunch of really cool Nashville songwriters/artists tonight. Had a great time hanging with everyone.

joywilliams

Just left The Tartan Club gathering. Songwriting friends galore. Reminded again tonight of why Nashville is dear to me. #fb

Never seen that vid, Bebe. “This is the bathroom here…hmmmph.” lol

Betsy, I’m loving that he loves Nashville.

New post.

115. Buy Costume Online Cheap…

[…]From Perimenopause to Pomonapause « The Voice[…]…