January 2010
    18192021222324

jans11 on New Album #TherapySessions by…
    Abrra on New Album #TherapySessions by…
    jans11 on New Album #TherapySessions by…
    Abrra on New Album #TherapySessions by…

• Click on picture to buy “Therapy Sessions” on itunes

• Click on picture to buy “Postcards In The Sky” on itunes

• Click the picture to buy “Leo EP” on iTunes

The Power to Be

Posted by emifriend on Saturday, January 16, 2010

The thing about David I can’t quite stop thinking about is his unhurriedness.  It’s in his attitude:  I am just a kid, I don’t know about a lot of things.  I am not even supposed to know about all those things yet, but I’m looking forward to learning about them in my future, when the time is right.  David is not in a huge rush to do grown up things.  It is remarkable that though he likes to stay busy and productive, this attitude of unhurriedness is present in everything he does.  You can hear it in his singing, in the way he attends to each note with deliberation and patience.  It is there in the way he treats people.  He takes the time to be kind and when you talk with David he looks at you and gives you his full attention.  He listens not only to what you say but to what your heart can not.  In his lack of hurry he often ignores those who are.  Even in the way he talks… he will patiently persevere through his own awkwardness with words to make sure he is completely understood when it is important to him.  On the other hand, he will wait quietly and not interrupt or rush in to correct someone when it is not.  Like politely listening to Kathy Lee Gifford with her Josh Groban advice and replying, “Oh, yeah?” and then zipping his lip and smiling.  Hah!  Beautiful moment.

I’ve heard it said that some people get their power from having things, some from doing things and some from BEING.  David is a BE-er.  He could be a doer with that talent and that voice, but his identity is not wrapped up in that, I think.  His Identity is in the YOU AND I, to quote the Riddle, of the present moment, a sensibility which I think we are all born with until we are about five and then it slips away.  David has retained this quality, and I think it is part of what makes him “child like” but not childish.  David’s conscious efforts to be pure and true to himself, and his efforts to guard his heart, mind, soul, and mouth, empower him to be without guile, to be generous with sincere affection and to live in the moment.   Following in the steps of the great “I am,” he is the quintessential, existential, “to be.”  He walks the walk and makes it look easy.  Why does the phrase, “walk this way” from Young Frankenstein come to mind?

Maybe that is how we walk now.

This trait of living not in the past or rushing toward the future but unhurriedly being in the NOW, is so rare in our entitled twenty-something generation and those who follow, but David is such a great role model.  It’s a powerful thing in him.  I have great hopes for his younger fans.  And I have learned a lot from his example that I hope to apply.

I am learning to hurry less and to be more in the moment.  To let go of the past and not be afraid of the future.  This being in the now brings with it an increased sense of thankfulness.  So I am thankful.  To David’s parents who disciplined David without destroying his spirit.  To Dean Kaelin, who taught David to respect his gift, helped him find and expand it, and mentored David toward a professional career in music.  To all those Sunday school teachers, Boy Scout leaders, and other kids’ parents, who affirmed in David the goodness of good.  To all his siblings, who are as much a part of David as he is of them.  To his business managers who have done a great job of presenting and guiding David throughout this whirlwind year.  And to his friends, old and new, who support and encourage David and with whom he feels at home.  Most of all, I am thankful to David, for showing me, despite his youth and the prevalence of ageism in our society, the way to be.

“Let no man despise thy youth:  but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

1 Timothy 4:12

96 Responses to “The Power to Be”

1. pabuckie said

Emifriend – I love your article and it is so true how David “lives in the moment” not in the past or the future. He is the perfect example of that and boy do I wish I could be more like him. He is a great role model and is teaching us one day at a time.

Is there supposed to be a picture above “maybe that is how we walk now” because I don’t see one just a big blank spot?

2. archiesfan4life said

WOW emifriend – your post really spoke to me! We all seem to be in such a hurry today and this is yet another lesson David is teaching us that I hadn’t realized – to be in the now and not live in the past or rush into the future. I really enjoyed your post and will go back and re-read (as soon as I get back from rushing off to a meeting:().

SandyBeaches says:
    January 16, 2010 at 9:25 am

David From Texas (FOD site)…Good Saturday morning from Canada…I am bringing this on over from the last comments and this one you ‘can’ click on to…hoping!

I met you at our table during the luncheon in SLC and in thanking you for the Christmas card I am bringing you this to read…A new article posted this morning on “The Voice” and I found it fascinating. This is how David takes on the world of achievements and the world of having fans…

4. silverfox said

Emifriend,

STUNNING article! Thoughtful, articulate, and above all, so very true. Thank you so much for your insights about David.

BTW, where are you from? I ask because you have a beautiful & wonderful way of phrasing your words.

5. Kathy said

Wow, Emifriend! (I have a feeling you’ll read that a lot in comments.) This article is wonderful! I had actually realized that David is a be-er (I have a daughter who is a be-er — so happy in the moment and she seemed that way at birth, if you can believe that) but you go deeper than just to say this about David. As a lifelong (emphasis on the ‘long’) doer, I can say that I am trying to learn from David. Love that gentle patience which shows an apparent blindness to age, appearance, circumstance. Love the way he remains true to himself, even in interviews where most would be influenced by the situation. Love this writing.

Love him. haha(tmDavid)

6. Gmax4 said

Emifriend!! Good Morning. Thank you so much for your heartfelt impressions. Your words were so beautifully expressed and felt by each and everyone of David’s fans. What David has shown us in his young life is such a “pureness” of just being. He has been able to retain his “childlike spirit” that is squelched earlier and earlier in our present society.

David is far from being a child… he has been blessed to be “wiser” than his years!! Yet, I love watching the playfulness that he brings to others. People of all ages are learning so much…just watching him. One cannot be in his presence without being touched by the way that he treats everyone…with courtesy, respect, and genuine interest and caring. He wants to know about us as much as we want to know about him. We all want him for our friend. Your beautiful thoughts speak for all of us. Thank you for expressing them.

7. refnaf said

I applaud you emifriend!. Thanks for these insights. David is definately a “in the now” person and I have always admired that about him. I first noticed when he was in Toronto after the AI tour, when the crowds of fans were crazy, he maintained a calm, un-hurried pace, even knowing he had very limited ammount of time. I think that is why we what to be around him, he has such a wonderful affect on us….
    This is my vid of it….I just uploaded, and no that is not me doing the talking, we were cramped in like sardines…. lol

If you need help surviving ODD draught, catch TOfans article at:

Ah refnaf..I remember it well, Toronto lit up like the 1st/4th of July. That was my first concert and we were all awestruck…

TOfans’s article is priceless and good to go by in these days of David R&R…although wherever he is becomes immensley entertaining…

9. YJfanofdavid said

Emi, my friend! Love your article! A huge part of his appeal for me, aside from his Voice, is this Zen aspect of his personality, aptly described you as his “unhurriedness”. I love that word. You nailed it!

10. Tawna21 said

Absolutely beautiful Emi! Makes me think really hard about what I’ve let my life become–hurried–and where I’d like it to be–unhurried. If David, in all of his many, many daily functions can make it happen, I would suppose I can too. He is so intense in his desires, and yet he personifies a calm. Oh to be like that.

11. Jeffr said

Emifriend, what a wonderful article, it really struck a cord with me. Love your description of “unhurriedness”. The word I’ve used since the first time I saw David on Idol tour in Sept. of 08, was “composure”. I was so struck by his composure as he signed autographs, and as you describe so much better, unhurriedness, even though his time truly was limited. And he’s never wavered. Another point you made is “he walks the walk and makes it look easy”. He certainly does, just being himself, he shows us how easily we can practice it too. Wonderful article, thank you for your accurate observances and insight and expressing them in words I can only search for. 🙂

12. Fanis Archangelicus said

Emifriend,

Thank you for this soul-touching piece of writing! It is exquisite.

It is truly a blessing to be able to come here to The Voice and see my own feelings beautifully expressed by the gifted writers here. I am a huge fan of David’s but I am also a fan of the fans of David who see him the way I do and can so eloquently articulate their insights. I love that we are all learning lessons from a 19-year-old man and also from each other.

Emi,

Love how insightful you are about the way David is a be-er who lives fully in the moment. I witnessed his “unhurriedness” in Tulsa at the autograph signing. The line surrounding the covered entrance to the venue was so long and 6-8 people deep standing in the rain. He calmly and methodically moved from one person to the next, giving each one a smile and signing whatever they asked. He stayed 45 minutes after all the other AI had gone in and he was the second one out. Never once did he seem flustered or look to see how far he had left to go. He just kept giving each person, one by one, what they needed and then moved on. I know I am much more like that now too. I’ve seen a difference in the way I react to stress at work. I feel so much calmer and unhurried and this actually makes me more efficient. I do believe that watching David deal with looming adulthood and being thrust into the craziness of the music industry so quickly with so much grace has had a big influence on me.

Who he is as a person should be celebrated as much as his beautiful voice. He has a talent for living that informs his every movement and expression. I love the analogy of the Young Frankenstein “walk this way” clip. I think many of us do walk that way, hobbled by crutches we are convinced we need when we could walk uprightly so much easier without them. We buy into lies about ourselves and the world that David just shrugs off as he calmly moves forward. Thanks for a wonderful, profound article about power and being.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!

14. Emi said

Ya’ll have made my day! Thank you! It is a Happy Birthday! Thank you to Angelica and Aabbrraa and Bebebebe and DJAFAN and Silverfox for this wonderful “venue” and place to visit. Thanks of Angelica for her editorial additions and photos. I LOVE the Young Frankenstein video clip! I love how you edited out words that were confusing and edited in words to clairify what I am trying to communicate while keeping the essence of my thoughts intact. And to the rest of you all for your encouragement and affirmations along the way. This is my first blog post ever, and I was a scardy (hush) cat! And to top it off I do get to hear David singingHappy Birthday to me! grin.. thank you thank you…
    I feel kinda like I am making my Grammy speech now.. hahaha. “they like me, they like me” All the pretty comments really have made my day…Thank you!
    Davidlove,
    Emi, ( AKA emifriend, emily in nashville, nonvidem)

Hey!! Check out the new black and white slide show at the top right. Just click on the chameleon.

16. emmegirl said

emifriend – (not to be confused w/emmiegirl who does not possess the ability to pen such an amazingly insightful, thoughtful and inspiring piece)…thank you so much. Will be reading and rereading this one many times.

Angelica, love your slide show of the chameleon. The full view and close-ups, great idea. I had forgotten how much I love the Matt Clayton photos. For me, they still are set apart from any other photo-op he has done.

17. raelovingangels said

It is so delightful to see this beautiful site. You all have done amazing work. Looking forward to the “grand” openinng of the new chat room. I am very fearful I will spend a little too much time there.
    I adore this article emifriend. At any rate, on my, it is beautiful and you definatley are on to something. David sure seems to be in the moment, and appears to have a calmness about him in the midst of chaos. I appreciate your remarks at the end.
    “To David’s parents who disciplined David without destroying his spirit. To Dean Kaelin, who taught David to respect his gift, helped him find and expand it, and mentored David toward a professional career in music. To all those Sunday school teachers, Boy Scout leaders, and other kids’ parents, who affirmed in David the goodness of good. To all his siblings, who are as much a part of David as he is of them. To his business managers who have done a great job of presenting and guiding David throughout this whirlwind year. And to his friends, old and new, who support and encourage David and with whom he feels at home. Most of all, I am thankful to David, for showing me, despite his youth and the prevalence of ageism in our society, the way to be.’

We all believe that David is special and gifted, with otherworldy talent, a sweet spirit and old soul….
    But sometimes we forget, there were family, supporters and friends in his life, shaping, supporting, guiding and believing in him, before it was “cool”. No man is an island. Thank you for acknowledging those we know ( and I am sure many others we don’t) who played a part in bringing us this remarkable young man.

18. bridget said

Beautiful article…:)

{{{Emi}}}: Thank you! Your article was so worth the wait! After getting to know you in chat, I was hoping that one day, you’d share your insight with David’s entire fanbase. Believe it or not, I had been working on an article for The Voice on this same subject, David’s mindfulness. You said it so much better than I ever could. Looking forward to seeing more of you, here, and on The Voice Unplugged!

David can teach old dogs new tricks!

Refnaf#7 Thanks for uploading and sharing that video from Toronto. He’s amazing. Are you sure that’s not you talking? You deny it, but it sure sounds like your voice at around say, .24-.26 😉

Hey Raelovingangels, Emi squared, Bridget, Fanis Archangelicus, JeffR, Tawna21, YJfanofdavid, SandyBeaches, Gmax4, Kathy, Archiesfan4life, and Pabuckie!! All y’all out there lurking. Evening!

Emmegirl – Thanks for liking the slide show. There are quite a few pictures and not all of them get seen on the first viewing. They’re also shuffled, so each time you watch it, it will appear a little different.

21. angie said

Emi, you have expressed beautifully what I have attempted to explain about David since the AI tour days. Each time my family has had the pleasure of speaking with David, I have been blown away by his “unhurriedness”, it is palpable. You can “feel” the attention he pays to each person he encounters. We had the pleasure of going to an afterparty after the Cincinnati Idol tour concert. My daughter had a shirt for him to sign, and it had all the tour dates and cities on the back. He took forever, spreading it out on the table to get rid of the wrinkles, then reading all the dates and cities. He was surprised by the city he was going to be in the next day, he pointed out a date that was a holiday in Utah,and told us how excited he was to visit Canada. I find myself feeling “hurried” for him! (Maybe that’s why so many of us find ourselves walking away from him while he is still talking to us!) As we left that afterparty he stopped us and asked if Emily still had the shirt, and if he could see it. He then asked which was our next concert! Great article Emi, you have really made me go back and think!

22. Fiona said

Beautiful article emi!
    Angelica, loved the slideshow!
    OH my gosh, he is so beautiful! “Swoon” 🙂
    I think it’s the combination of his vulnerability, tender-heartedness, and beauty that is so deadly – for me, anyway!!

“unhurriedness”
    Very appropriate word.
    Nicely done, Emi. Very nicely done. 🙂

Tomorrow is the grand opening of our new 24/7 video chat room, “The Voice Unplugged”!

Please come by to chat, watch videos or both! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Here’s the link, FYI:

Emi…I’m so glad you took the plunge…you have written a beautiful piece. All your points are my impressions of David, what I feel being a fan of his and his God given gifts.

“to be generous with sincere affection and to live in the moment.”

This is so real to me. Everyone who has had the opportunity to meet him and have a few minutes with him speak of the sincere and attentive way he has with his fans. I’ve had two surreal VIP meetings and in both I felt him there with me in no hurry, giving me his full attention, so sincere and gracious, feeling his calmness, I still get the chills just remembering.

Thank you Emifriend for this wonderful post and hoping for more.

Welcome to all posters, previous and new. It has been a busy week and I appreciate you all taking the time to comment about the article and this site. I still pinch myself, I would’ve never believed I’d be part of a fansite. So I also want to thank Angelica, Bebe, Silverfox, and Abrra for their vision, support and faith in me.

26. kaycee said

Thank you for the beautiful article. It truly represents what I have felt so many times but was unable to express.

27. silverfox said

Oh my goodness, Angelica! Your slideshow is to die for! I Read Emi’s article again, then watched your slideshow. Beautiful words, beautiful photos, beautiful man.

David supposedly left Central America today, however that info did not come directly from David and we have not heard from him since last night, so who knows? Unless David tweets something later tonight, we won’t be hearing anything from David until Monday. 😦

In the meantime, The Voice is a great place to come visit to ease our ODD! AND tomorrow is opening day for The Voice Unplugged! What better way to get through this lull than to share our love & admiration for David with each other? It’s absolutely brilliant!

Good night all, see you tomorrow at The Voice Unplugged! And for David,

Dear lord,

Please take care of David.
    Watch over him, protect him from all harm.
    Cloak him with your love and give him the strength to endure all that is thrown in his path.
    Give David the courage and guidance to say no to those who ask for more than he can reasonably give.
    Surround David with loving and supportive people who love him unconditionally as we, his devoted Archangels do.
    Separate David from those who have agendas other than for his well being.
    Give him rest when he feels weary.
    Give him stamina to sustain his hectic pace.
    Give him assurance when he feels doubt.
    Give him joy when he feels sad and never allow David to feel alone or lonely.
    Give us the wisdom to always do right by David.
    Help us support David so that it’s always in his best interest.
    CLOAK DAVID IN YOUR PROTECTIVE ARMS AFTER DOING GOOD AND CHARITABLE WORKS IN YOUR NAME.
    Keep David and his voice healthy & strong as he fulfills his Destiny which was written in his Book of Life before he was born.
    Though we may be unworthy Lord, we humbly pray. Amen

David, have a good & restful night’s sleep with sweet & happy dreams. Thank you for all you do and for who you are. HOPE YOU HAVE OR HAD A SAFE & ENJOYABLE FLIGHT HOME. Keep with you all our love, support & prayers always. Contigo siempre! We will be with you always! TAKE CARE!

Also, keeping the victims in devastated Haiti and all the rescue & health workers in my thoughts and prayers.

Another view of David leaving the church….maybe this was the unusual

2nd video

1st video

29. ascphil said

Wonderful article! Fabulous site! Great job, everyone involved in The Voice!

Emi, I wish I could witness firsthand what you describe as David’s “in the moment” demeanor. Although he was in Manila for 5 days, he was guarded tightly by security fit for a prince. Only a very privileged few with connections to the concert organizers were able to get close to him.

His heavenly voice was the first thing that attracted me to him, but what made me a diehard fan was after everything I watched of him (Thank God for Youtube!)as a person to his fans and in his interviews outside of his performances. I have never followed any celebrity the way I have been with David on a daily (sometimes hourly, lol!) basis. He truly is a beautiful human being worth anyone’s admiration.

Angelica, I am glad you fally put up this fan blogsite with djafan, bebereader, silverfox and Abrra. Of all the commenters I came across in David’s sites, I have been thinking that you have all the skills in both writing and video-editing to put up your own. And voila! Fantastic site! Congratulations!

And btw, The Voice is now #12 in the Best Fan Site Poll! I just checked and voted for all David fansites. I can’t believe there are 25 in the Top 50 so far. Amazing how David has pulled together all these fans from all over the world on the internet!

30. ascphil said

Spelling-fail! I meant “finally”, not fally, lol!

31. heidijoy said

Beautiful article Emifriend. It takes a village to raise a child and in turn we get inspired and renewed by that child who is becoming a man…and thank you for the beautiful slide show Angelica.Thank you all for a beautiful site. I mostly lurk but appreciate all of your efforts. Also got the e-mail re:the Voice Unplugged. Thanks Bebe and Abarra etc.

32. Emi said

Ok I just re read this from Angelica:

And that is it! David does have a TALENT FOR LIVING and it’s amazing to watch him move and be and deal with all that life, fans, and chaos are dealing him now.

I think my first realization of his uncanny ability to “shrug off” and “calmly move forward” was during AI, when I saw the sparkle light up his eyes, and the small grin as he used every ounce of his good nature, humor, grace, creativity and strength to SIT DOWN in the middle of the stage and laugh at Seacrest who now had a problem.

How I wish I had known that before a few conversations with an ex boss,, where my mouth rushed in, out of my insecurity, to let him know how smart i was by disagreeing with him and explaining all my thoughts to him. David totally disagreed with what Seacrest was asking him to do and yet he did not say a word and made his stand by sitting down.. that’s genius! And he was 17, and on tv in front of millions of people? Amazing Composure. .(like Jeffr said #11)

Later came the Guillermo interviews. I would have hated the silence in those interviews and rushed in and filled them with stupid chatter… David does not seem to be bothered by silence or the need to hurry and he just let the silence be,, and smiled.. and it was so funny, so priceless. David did not have to say a word; he knew he could let the moment speak for itself.

Too many times to list, David, “the awkward one” has chosen paths of grace and love that the more” sophisticated ones” could not even see. And again. I think it is his unhurredness and fully being “here and now”, along with his purity that enable David to see and take those paths of grace.

Isn’t there a quotation:”fools rush in”? Our David is no fool.

33. Kizzi said

Beautiful article Emi (AKA emifriend, emily in nashville, nonvidem) 😀

You capture a difficult to put into words facet of David so definitively.

I especially liked this sentiment: “…who affirmed in David the goodness of good.” One of the most powerful attractors to this whole experience for me has been this “goodness” that is core to what David says and does.

And really, when it is all said and done, when we look back on our experiences, it really is about the “goodness of good,” isn’t it.

Thanks so much Emi!

34. munkmusic said

Emi, thank you so much for the wonderful article. You are so great at expressing what most of us know we see and feel! I love the phrase that David is a be-er and is continuing to become someone wonderful………standing against the tide of the world……showing us the “goodness of good” and not afraid to quietly stand for what he knows and feels is right. He gives us all courage and thoughtfulness to do the same. Then you add THE VOICE and it just validates everything else that David is….it fills us all up with joy and happiness.

So thanks again Emi for the wonderful words! What a great way start a day!

emi
    Thank you for a lovely article here at TheVoice. Happy Birthday! I hope you were able to do something special on your day.

As I read your article and all the postings here. I kept thinking back to this song from the AI7 finale:

I try hard to ” live in the now.” David is an example to us all.

36. silverfox said

Checked out YouTube and found this tribute to David’s phenomenal genius vocalization ability. Video by Saxophoney. Enjoy!

37. TOfan said

emifriend,
    So many riches in your post, I had to come back for a reread! Love the way you manage to link Young Frankenstein and existentialism, brilliant!!!

Was esp. touched by this:
    “Most of all, I am thankful to David, for showing me … the way to be.

It’s like the old writing adage, “show, don’t tell” … have always loved the way David never preaches to us but, instead, just by being himself, shows us by example “the way to be.” Wow.

(And thanks, emmegirl for clearing up the diff. “emme/emi”s, I was getting so confused! lol)

Welcome to all new posters including archiesfan4life, Ascphill, Angie, GMAX4 and Heidijoy!

Angelica: Thanks for the beautiful slide show that coordinates so well with emi’s article! David in color, David in black and white….hmmm, hard to choose. He looks lovely in either mode.

djafan: #28 Those screams from outside the Hondurian church were reminiscent of fans screaming for The Beatles. Maybe that’s what David meant in his last tweet when he said “A rather unusual night tonight lol. But had a good night nonetheless!”

Emi: Best wishes for a happy birthday!

SF#36: Thank you for the beautiful video, showcasing David’s vocal genius. It brought tears to my eyes.

Abrra, that video should be in The Voice Unplugged, when you get a chance; it needs to be out there and seen by everyone. But I’ll bet you already have it covered! 😉

Bebe #38
    I have it downloaded. I am prevented from uploading until tomorrow afternoon. It will go up asap.

40. TOfan said

This vid reminded me of your post … patience personified (and the “More Info” note on uTube is LOL):

TOfan

LOL I loved that video. Look at RAY’s face. You know he was not in the moment LOL! He was 10 minutes in the future, thinking they were late.

42. silverfox said

Here is David at the press conference in Honduras…Wait til you see the end. *GULP*

43. pabuckie said

Hi everyone!
    Don’t know if you saw this – David sang “How Great Thou Art” in Spanish while he was in Honduras.

44. pabuckie said

It’s How Great Thou Art in Spanish while he was in Honduras.

45. ram said

Thanks SF for bringing this over. He is glowing in this piece. Me and my runaway imagination think that it was David telling us he’s thinking of us even from Honduras ya know “contigo en la distancia”. Lupe looked so proud sitting there next to David. Sigh.

#42 SF
    Thanks for that video ( yes Bebe I got it ) LOL!

AT 4:22 he seems to be on sensory overload when a cell phone goes off and the interpreter is speaking as David is trying to finish his sentence. His eyes shift to his mother and he struggles for a second, then keeps going. He handled the foreign press with poise and dignity.

TOFAN#40 I always find myself going back to that video but didn’t understand why. Now I do! It personifies David’s living in the moment! Thank you!

SF#42 re: Press Conference in Honduras. I can imagine how difficult it must be to answer questions thrown at you in a press conference while at the same time, having an interpreter hovering over you, hanging on to every word, overlapping your voice. Why am I not surprised that David held his composure and handled it with grace under pressure. And he had the nerve to blow us away with Contigo! LOL Thanks for the warning!

pabuckie#45 Thanks for the “How Great Thou Art” audio from Honduras. Nice to see these are surfacing!

Reminder: Our new 24/7 video chat room, “The Voice Unplugged”, officially opens this evening! Hope to see you there!

49. pabuckie said

Bebereader – You read my mind!! I wanted to know if there will be a link on here to the chat.

50. silverfox said

Abrra, I think the problem David had with some of the interviews in Honduras, is that David UNDERSTANDS Spanish pretty well and did not really need an interpreter for the questions they asked him, but THEY needed his answers interpreted to Spanish. The interpreter was not allowing David to FINISH his answers completely before interpreting them but instead talked at the same time as David at some points which caused David to SEEM a little, JUST A LITTLE frustrated at some points. All in all though, David did a great job in the Honduras interview.

I took a little nap this afternoon and dang if I didn’t have a dream aabout David. I dreamt David DID NOT go home from South America, but instead he went someplace where many artists got together for a benefit concert and David was the EMCEE! HE brought all these great singers and there was this big stage outside and thousands of people in the audience. Then David sang POTC and all these BIG stars started crying & cheering. I don’t know who they were (you know how wierd dreams can be) I just know they were BIG STARS. I don’t know what the benefit was for either but I had just been reading the paper about Haiti and listening to who else but David when I dozed off, which is probably why I had the dream. It was a good dream. 🙂

51. pabuckie said

Nice dream Silverfox:

George Clooney is planning a Haiti telethon w/MTV for next Friday. Wonder if David will be invited. He should sing “Prayer of the Children”.

Hi all,

The link to The Voice Unplugged is now up! It’s under his tweets on the right sidebar…His hand will guide you there.

Tofan, Pabuckie, Silverfox…thank you for the links. He is such a joy to watch and listen to…He handled that press conference beautifully.

Hey Ram…nice to see you here!

53. silverfox said

Had a great time over at The Voice Unplugged today. Brought back lots of great moments from AI and the AI Tour. There will never be another David on AI, ever!

Good night all! For David..

Dear lord,

Please take care of David.
    Watch over him, protect him from all harm.
    Separate David from those who have agendas other than for his well being.
    Give him rest when he feels weary.
    Give him stamina to sustain his hectic pace.
    Give him assurance when he feels doubt.
    Give him joy when he feels sad and never allow David to feel alone or lonely.
    Give us the wisdom to always do right by David.
    Help us support David so that it’s always in his best interest.
    Keep David and his voice healthy & strong.
    Cloak David in your protective arms as he fulfills his Destiny which was written in his Book of Life before he was born.
    Though we may be unworthy Lord, we humbly pray. Amen

David, have a good & restful night’s sleep with sweet & happy dreams. Thank you for all you do and for who you are. HOPE YOU HAD A SAFE FLIGHT HOME. Keep with you all our love, support & prayers always. Contigo siempre! We will be with you always! TAKE CARE!

54. ram said

Hi djafan,

Just swinging by. Hope the chat is going great guns. Will stop by sometime as my internet connection is pretty sketchy. Sure miss our guy but glad he is making the connection with the great people in Honduras.

55. annmargaret said

I love your new site! I love having a place to go to to discuss all things David. Thank you!

56. annmargaret said

Forgot to tell you the name is great too. My dream is to see/hear David in an unplugged concert. Preferably in a small venue.

@davidarchie

Back in Utah! Snowy morning today haha. Happy Martin Luther King Day! 37 minutes ago

He’s back!!!!!

I added Best singing moments on the left sidebar…great compilation from saxophoney.

Ram…hope your sketchy connection gets resolved.

annmargaret! You found your way here….welcome and come back often.

58. poof said

I just watched his news conference in Honduras again this morning. To me, listening to him in this conference, is a “live” demonstration of everything Emi was saying. With confusion around him, a situation that could make others frustrated or angry, David consciously (we get to watch!) works to find the exact words to express what he is feeling. And what he is saying echoes his manner, his smile and actions. Again David shows us the “the goodness in the good”. What is it about David that allows him to be so consistently true to himself? He blows me away.

Annmargaret and Poof: Welcome to The Voice!

Poof #58 “What is it about David that allows him to be so consistently true to himself? He blows me away.”

I ditto your question, Poof. I wish we could have a transcript of the press conference because some of the questions are muddled in the video. But I think the answer lies somewhere in David’s answer, when asked how being a member of his church has affected him and his family…

“It’s changed my life…very much! I wouldn’t be where I was without it. It’s just something that’s kept me strong. It’s given me my strong values and it’s what I feel gives me so much optimism in the future.”

60. pabuckie said

Hi Bebe! I just watched that Press Conference video for the upteenth time! Love his face in that video. Does anyone have an mp4 of it in case it goes POOF!

*waves to Pabuckie*

I’ll hunt around for an mp4…before it goes *poof*.

62. poof said

I agree with you Bebe, “the answer lies somewhere in David’s answer, when asked how being a member of his church has affected him and his family…” but I think it is a lot more than that. I know many good Mormons and most resemble me, in a daily battle with oneself, to do “right” as your day progresses. I am sure David does this as well,,, he just seems to “win the battles” with more grace than most of us.

Hola Ram and AnnMargaret! Thanks for visiting with us here.

Poof,

I enjoyed reading your impressions of David at the press conference. I had the same take on it. He is serenely focused amid the fire of cameras and questions and a Spanish translator talking over him. I was very impressed with his answer regarding the situation in Haiti. He spoke well and with great concern that he be understood on the matter and you could see in his facial expressions he meant every word. I have only watched it once but I remember him being very intent on conveying to the Haitians that there are people out there who care and are mobilizing to help.

I agree with you that David does seem to win the battle with his Goliaths more gracefully than most of us. I think he’s very strong-willed. In his vlog from Central America he said,

“My mom doesn’t want to leave, and I don’t either lol. But I guess that’s all the more reason to come back!”

Which I took to mean, if there is something you really don’t want to do, you should do it because that’s the kind of thing that makes you stronger. I don’t think he passes up many opportunities to strengthen his character and flex his moral fiber.

Steel Velvet

Bebe…

Poof….

“To me, listening to him in this conference, is a “live” demonstration of everything Emi was saying. With confusion around him, a situation that could make others frustrated or angry, David consciously (we get to watch!) works to find the exact words to express what he is feeling. And what he is saying echoes his manner, his smile and actions. Again David shows us the “the goodness in the good”.”

Angelica…

“He is serenely focused amid the fire of cameras and questions and a Spanish translator talking over him. I was very impressed with his answer regarding the situation in Haiti. He spoke well and with great concern that he be understood on the matter and you could see in his facial expressions he meant every word.”

I’ve watched the press conference several times with just a feeling of pride and admiration. You all have made great observations and it is so in tune with Emifriends article. David the BEer and his unhurried demeaner, he was in control of everyone in that room with such calmness and poise.

I added the press conference video to the left sidebar, it demands multiple viewing.

Comment from youtube press conference video…

2008macarena2008 (1 hour ago)

david es una luz en la oscuridad , el agua en el desierto ,y la paz en el desociego

Transation..

david es the light in the darkness, the water in a desert, and the peace in the unrest

And this from TwitLonger…

Daniella Ruiz

On Monday 18th January 2010, @danielar06 said:

@DavidArchie Please read this I know lots of fans ask you to read theirs but I really want you to known this

My name is DANIELA RUIZ:) I´m from HONDURAS! woohoo!:D when you came to Honduras I obviously went to hear your testimony..
    When you started singing angels I didn´t say a word I just started crying! there is something about the way you sing that inspires me a lot!
    I liked how your mom danced&singed;too.. she made want start dancing hahaha 😀
    I loved the way you and your mom spoke.. I´m glad you both feel proud of being HONDURAN!
    When we held hands I felt like flying and the only words that came out of my mouth were.. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! me and my friends Ana Boquin,Doris Padilla,Andrea Chiang,Ana Muñoz & Sarah Ruiz gave you a Honduras T-shirt signed by us:) I hope you liked it!:P I was really dying to get your autograph and a picture with you but they said we couldn´t! 😦
    It would give me great pleasure if you take a picture with the shirt we gave you and put it on twitpic:D
    Im glad you liked baleadas and platanos 🙂 hahah
    PLEASE come back soon to give a concert here in San Pedro Sula 😛
    Please reply!:)you will definitely make my world if you do so.. 😀
    With lovee..
    A huge fan of your here in Honduras-DANIELA RUIZ

He sure has made an impression….only the beginning.

66. poof said

<<<>>>>> 🙂

67. poof said

ooops
    let’s try this again….. “He wore STEEL VELVET…….” 🙂

Brought these over from the Heart Connection. Didn’t want them to go unnoticed….thank you YJ!

I think German?

Trista Dheel said
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Sorry, aber das bezweifel ich ganz stark…Baer

Cody Salazar said
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Love this post! Thanks for this. I’ll be sure to come back again. P.S: I’ve bookmark your site as well.

YJfanofdavid said
    Monday, January 18, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Trista and Cody, Welcome to the Voice. Please be sure to come back to visit!

69. Emi said

I’m.thinking David has made great efforts to make plainly clear what makes him tick. He just traveled the country talking about the importance of family.. and his song Angels says it all. I think he must hear the melody of angels with unfolded wings in his head and heart –“whether he is right or wrong,” and even “down the waterfall” David is confident that “life will not break” him. David walks as one who is confident that he will “always be blessed with love.” David just told the Hondurans ( and us thanks to YOU TUBE) about his church and faith, fulfilling a command in the Bible to always be ready to give an explanation for the “hope that is within you.” In Feb we are getting a book.. what more could David do to let us know? To quote Bebebebe (in a note to me), “He gives the answer, time and time again. It’s his faith, it’s his family, friends and values. “

70. silverfox said

So happy David let us know he’s home in Utah..Not happy he’s got a bad cough! Going from cold to warm then back to cold temps apparently was not very good for David. But he is home safe…so just a few words..

David, have a good & restful night’s sleep with sweet & happy dreams. Thank you for all you do and for who you are. Keep with you all our love, support & prayers always. Contigo siempre! We will be with you always! Please TAKE CARE of yourself!

Good night everyone!

Website to send donations to Haiti Relief.

72. munkmusic said

HI, I don’t post here very often…..and I feel kinda of funny posting because I don’t know people here even tho I read the comments every day. I just wanted everyone to know how much I love this site and everyone’s comments! I enjoy reading all of the articles and I am loving The Voice Unplugged! I haven’t logged into the chat yet, but I have been getting my daily fix with the videos. So thanks for a job well done!

Hi all…

Emi…

“I think he must hear the melody of angels with unfolded wings in his head and heart –”whether he is right or wrong,” and even “down the waterfall” David is confident that “life will not break” him. David walks as one who is confident that he will “always be blessed with love.”

David tells us but better yet shows us.

Bebe..

He does, he never waivers.

Angelica…thank you for the links. Such sadness.

Munkmusic, aka maryanne? aka lil mac?

Am I right?…lol Thank you for your kind words, come back often and never hesitate to post! And truth be told we actually do somewhat know each other because of the one thing we all have in common….David.

74. munkmusic said

Hey Djafan! YUP! it is me! I had so many different names on different sites, I thought I had better just have one! So you guessed it! I love this site! I am hear all the time…..just feel funny posting sometimes! Been watching videos on The Voice Unplugged! AND……I love the article posted! It is really good and truly captures David.

It is hard waiting for the next exciting thing. But I am sure it will be great!

75. omgdja said

Thanks for creating this wonderful site. I was so glad to have discovered this site accidentally & began telling my friends about this peaceful place. I felt the same way when I discovered Snow Angelz… this is another place to be while taking a break from the real life. Also, it was a great surprise to receive an email from you guys. What a welcome… I feel am a member of this group even though am a daily lurker.

76. munkmusic said

Welcome Omgdja! I am new here too and I love it!

77. omgdja said

Oh thanks, Munkmusic, it’s so funny I was just reading your comments on FOD. love your posts.

Munk: So nice to finally ‘meet’ you at The Voice Unplugged!

The chatroom is picking up speed! Abrra has uploaded over 100 videos! The room has a nice mix of people to chat with and an assortment of videos to feed any ODDer’s obsessi..ummm taste. LOL

Welcome aboard, Omgdja! Glad you discovered us, accidentally (on purpose? LOL)! Hope to see more of you here and at The Voice Unplugged, our 24/7 video chatroom.

79. rapture said

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to ask about the link at the bottom right of the main page for Dunkin’ Donuts / Invisible Children. I’ve tried to support them and do the activities a couple of times but it just keeps dead-ending after I type a message and enter my name and city.

It doesn’t seem like anyone’s had much success with it since the counter is still at zero. Any way to fix the link?

80. Bright Light said

Wonderful article. Thank you. I particularly apprectiated . . . “It is remarkable that though he likes to stay busy and productive, this attitude of unhurriedness is present in everything he does. You can hear it in his singing, in the way he attends to each note with deliberation and patience. It is there in the way he treats people. He takes the time to be kind and when you talk with David he looks at you and gives you his full attention. He listens not only to what you say but to what your heart can not.”

David has quite a remarkable ability to be PRESENT. That may be why some people become ‘rattled’ when talking to him. It is such an honor to be attended to in that way.

Rapture #79 Thanks for alerting our attention to the problem with the Invisible Children link. We will look into it and hopefully have the problem fixed shortly.

Rapture, thanks for letting me know the link is not working now. I just tried too. Will get right on it and have that fixed asap!

Hello Munkmusic, omgdja and Bright Light said… (lol)

David does possess a remarkable ability of being present, Bright Light.

Thanks for the kind words all and don’t you be shy about posting here! I get all twitterpated when I see a new poster delurk. Love that word.

Urban dictionary: twitterpated

1. the happy jumpy feeling you get that causes you to smile uncontrolably.
    2. the way birds and other animals act during mating season (as seen in Bambi)

83. munkmusic said

Omgdfa! I don’t know if you are here anymore…been teaching piano lessons…but thanks!

Bebe! Thanks, nice meeting you too! I feel a little out of my element, but did OK.

Hi Angelica, You do wonderful work, by the way….

84. munkmusic said

I just need to make a quick comment. I think everyone is feeling the drought……we have been spoiled with David’s continuous hard work and performances… But just like it was stated in the article….David is unhurried. He is taking the time to do things right, and we have to remember that he has a life other than music. Who knows what other goals he is working on in his life. He deserves to slow down after the constant speed and pressure of the last two years. I know it is hard on all of us. We want new music now. But I have to know that “God is by his side” and David will make the right choices. He will be fine and will accomplish all that he is suppose to and all that he desires to. Thank goodness for great videos and great friends! Love this site!

85. Fiona said

Munkmusic I love what you said! That was so calming, true and sensible! Thanks for reminding us that David has a life too apart from music!

86. munkmusic said

HI Fiona! Thanks…..I have been on other sites and they are all going crazy because they can’t get enough of David fast enough. I know we all miss him…..But I am grateful for the calm that he brings. I just need to tap into it and be at peace with what he is doing an trust all will be well. He knows what he is doing. If we can’t see this by now, then we need to take another look.

87. Jeffr said

Hi Munkmusic, I do agree with you. I’m so pleased he has this much time, for the first time, in two years. I have no problem waiting for whatever he does next, I couldn’t ask him for anything. It’s beyond my comprehension how he’s done everything he’s done for two solid years, including recording two albums WHILE touring. I don’t know how he did it. All I know is he can take 3 months, 6 months, whatever he needs, David has given us a wealth of song, video and fellowship, and I hope he gets to have plenty of a 19 year olds life, as he’s already given us his 17th and 18th year. Have a great evening everyone. 🙂

MunkMusic,

You are wise. Thanks for bringing a much needed perspective to our David love. We have to love him enough to let him go. But “Don’t Let Go.” If you can combine the two. 😆

89. FunnyGirl said

ANGELICA – just sent you an e-mail. Thanks!

JeffR,

You are plenty wise too. I love what you both have said.

91. FunnyGirl said

Angelica – just sent it to you again at the email address you sent me – I had sent it into the voiceda email.

Rapture…that link was dysfunctional.

The links to all the charities he supports are on the right sidebar.

Munkmusic and Jeffr,

Ditto to both of your wise comments.

Angelica..letting go without letting go…

93. munkmusic said

HI! I am not letting go….just being patient and enjoying the ride!

94. emmegirl said

Twitter is cracking me up today! Do you think he realizes the power he has, telling tweeters to “go to school’, “do your homework” and “go cook dinner.” Pretty sure that they all did exactly as he said!

…and this one that he chose to reply to:

“@davidarchie wanna wish me good luck in the test i have tomorrow? cause i’ve been thinking about u the whole day instead of studying!! ;)”

“@NoamArchie Good luck!”

Munkmusic….and what a ride this is!

Emmiegirl…

I loved the twitterfest today and I’m with you, they all did he said…I probably would to because he makes me all twitterpated…lol

96. silverfox said

Munkmusic & Jeffr, agree with your comments. 🙂

Today was all about bringing smiles to his fans. I have a feeling David is aware when his fans need to have contact with him even if it’s only through twitter.

I usually get his tweets on my phone, but not today for some reason. And it’s a good thing too, otherwise my hip would have gotten a good work-out due to a vibrating phone in my pocket, ala David! 😆

Good night everyone!