Here’s a Riddle for Ya and How the Milk Carton Kids Got Found

Posted by Angelica on Wednesday, August 6, 2014

riddle(5)
The previous post about The Civil Wars was an unanticipated preamble to the present article. I was in the process of writing about another duet I had recently discovered: The Milk Carton Kids. It was late at night when I saw the news of the Civil Wars ending and the thought struck me how numerous the similarities exist between them and TMCK. Both groups are/were duos. Both perform folk music. Both are known for pure, rich vocals and exquisite harmony. Both are accompanied only by accoustic guitar. Both are fueled by a body of lyrically intelligent songs with amazing meaning and melody.

Photo credit Brendan Pattengale

Photo credit Brendan Pattengale

I had tickets to see The Milk Carton Kids perform next month. A few days ago, I got an email that all their shows for August and September had been canceled due to vocal strain. This was a blow, as when their tour starts up again in October, they will not be near enough for me to attend. Translation – they are not David Archuleta for whom apparently, no geographical coordinate within the continental United States is too far for me to travel.

But they are so talented and their music is poignant and gorgeous. The two struggled separately for years without much success until 2011 when Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan ditched their solo careers and became The Milk Carton Kids, blending so flawlessly their tenor voices that it’s almost like listening to one voice. They have since toured to sold-out venues in the US and Europe and been nominated for a Grammy for their album, The Ash and Clay. Here they are performing in an empty space they fill completely.

Video Credit ThePortlandSessions

Which brings me to what I was intending to write pre-Civil War. The touting of what a tour de force work of promotion The Milk Carton Kid’s have achieved in such a short time. Visit their official site and click on TOURS and you will find not just the upcoming tour dates, but all the past tours listed and every venue they’ve ever performed. I can’t help but think how gosh almighty that would look on David’s official site. Think of all the cities he has performed on tour, all the early TV appearances that could be listed. It would be a ponderous chain of events and an impressive page indeed. The Milk Carton Kids also have an entire page devoted to fans who do covers of their songs. Every fan, every cover, ever done and more being added all the time. How appreciative is that? There is even a listing and link at the bottom of every page of their OS for their Management, their Booking Agent and their Press Agent. But here is the savvy part, for this is how I came to know them and how it happened that I got online and purchased tickets to their concert. Their first two albums, Prologue and Retrospect are free for download on their OS. Smart. Back in 2011, the same year The Milk Carton Kids started, I wrote an article about music industry changes and the importance of seeing the world differently in this technological age. I encourage you to give it another look because it says a lot of what I want to say here but lack the space. Today, for a variety of reasons, the money is in tours and merchandise. But first, you have to get them to come to a show.

Video Credit ArchuletaAvenue

60 Responses to “Here’s a Riddle for Ya and How the Milk Carton Kids Got Found”

I kinda love you, Angelica. ^_^

(Okay….so that is an overly simple, completely replete, and almost mostly redundant way to comment on your ((tippity top)) article. But it is late in the day for me and I am a sandy-eyed, sleepy-brained, Please-Go-To-Bed, body. Suffice it to say: taste, heart, brain = happy. S’ nuff for now, and I do love you. Emensely. ^_^)

REALLY enjoyed that music.

I really believe that if David “builds it”, they (we) will come…..again…filling those venues up! I love where you say: “Translation-they are not David Archuleta for whom apparently, no geographical coordinate within the continental United States is too far for me to travel.”

David seems to be in control on getting back out there, I just have to be patient! :) And that little teaser of the Spanish song sure doesn’t help my patience! Come on, David hurry up! :) :)

Wow! I really enjoyed this duo. I haven’t heard such wonderful harmony since the Everly Brothers and CSNY.

I just finished an online college course after reading Pandasmama’s article http://thevoicedavidarchuleta.com/2014/04/20/the-music-industry-in-the-digital-age/ and I agree that the music industry has flipped the emphasis of the music driving the revenue stream. It’s all about performing the music and selling tickets. Once an artist has you in the seat, they have your attention. It’s up to them to showcase what they have to make you want to buy the music once you leave the concert.

Bringing this over from the last thread.

Sara Goldberg @goldberg_sara · 33m
    Amazing having @davidarchie at out nbcagt rehearsal!! #nosleeptilradiocity #roadtoradiocity… http://instagram.com/p/rYGjLrkVNO/

Sara Goldberg @goldberg_sara · 31m
    Looking forward to hopefully meeting @miguel_dakota for @nbcagt!! Make sure you watch for me and @1VoiceChildrens every Tuesday&wednesday

Sara Goldberg @goldberg_sara · 40m
    Thanks so much @DavidArchie for answering our questions and for the advice and support! We love you!!

The Archuleta is a chick magnet!

MarthaPB @mlpb3
    Awesome Pic! @DavidArchie with children at #nbcagt rehearsal @1VoiceChildrens twitpic.com/e9n5ui/full

One Voice Children’s ‏@1VoiceChildrens
    @DavidArchie from @AmericanIdol surprised choir kids at rehearsal today! They were soo excited! #nosleeptilradiocity

David went to the Ogden Utah Temple open house. A fan got a chance to pose with him for a picture.

willowgirl13
    Just ran into David Archuleta in the Celestial room! Best day EVER. 😎 #davidarchuleta #ogdentemple #swag

David tweets!

David Archuleta @DavidArchie
    “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have…
    David Archuleta @DavidArchie
    …but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
    - Frederick Keonig

I’d appreciate some new music :) Spanish please! #soonerthanlater

6. TOfan said

Thanks, Angelica, they have a very cool sound! And some great ideas for sharing their music! :)

I agree, Angelica.
    Their voices blend together so well that it almost seems like one person is singing. It’s unfortunate that the show you had tickets for was cancelled. :( But looking at their Fall tour schedule, it’s not surprising that they needed vocal rest. They are scheduled for back-to-back shows for two weeks straight with one day break in between. Still, they seem like innovative young guys who are on the right track for a successful career.

But in addition to talent and the ability to be savvy, I do believe that you need some old fashioned good luck to succeed in this business. I wish all of that and more for David. :)

That is way cool harmonizing! I wonder how they came with that name, interesting.

Will only travel for you know who!

Great pictures Abrra.

And David tweeted!

This is so cute!

кylie↬leanne @MissKylieee01 · 11m
    So david archuletta was driving behind us & was waving & laughing while we were jammin & did that just happen? Oops made fun of by a celeb😂

sara koch @sarakoch88 · 10m
    I just saw david archuleta!😊😙 #heartisraceing💜

sara koch ‏@sarakoch88 1m
    Wow david makes my heart race!💕 @DavidArchie lol at you laughing at us in our car hard core jammin😂

To look in the rear view mirror and see David Archuleta driving behind you! haha

BEGINanniversary!!!!

Kari Sellards @kariontour · 5m
    Back when we shot the cover for BEGIN. Happy 2nd anniversary of the release
    @DavidArchie http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/begin./id540833922 … pic.twitter.com/ehLeYvd97o
    David Archuleta

Laying here trying to sleep rereading your article and watching that performance of David singing the Riddle, he had “it”and clearly still does. Just look at how they all want a piece of him. And this is so spot on that i have to repost :)

“This is about an example of how a true artist with the right self-promotion can sell out venues without selling out. This is not about whether or not you like indie folk or that I want David to go that route. I don’t. I just want him to honor what is real and true for him musically. Considering his choice of Stephanie Mabey and Justin Christensen to work with, maybe it will sound something like the video below. All he has to do is get them to come out to a show. His voice and charisma will do the rest. Watch how the merest change of expression on his face elicits a reaction. Then the smile. He wins again.”

Yes, the right promotion. Yes, David is where the good stuff is. Love this article, Angelica. I really like the sound of TMCK.

Angelica,
    Great article. It’s so hard to make it in today’s industry, it’s really sad to see some groups who have actually managed to make a success of their career have to give it up and start over for whatever their reason. As for this group, I hope you do eventually get to go to their concert. :)

And this … “All he has to do is get them to come out to a show. His voice and charisma will do the rest.” … So true!

Bebe,
    LOLing at the tweets. You know they’re thinking “so close and yet so far.”

14. collegemom said

yes – “All he has to do is get them to come out to a show. His voice and charisma will do the rest.” I remember when David was singing in the SF Bay Area and I sent e-mails to local colleges to try to get them to put it in their announcements, etc. (sort of pre-twitter). I have always felt that if all the local high school and college students are given just one week “heads’up” via their school entertainment twitter or list of upcoming events e-mails, that he would get a ton of young people at any concert. But how to get that into that info out there at the right time for the different target ages (about a week or two for students, 3 weeks or so for older groups, etc.) Get it onto twitter, etc. I guess this is what Gina or some marketing person could do easily after doing research about the area of the concert in advance and then just pop out the information. Oh well….I am rambling…..and hopeful……..

Yes, David just needs to build it and they will come and by that, I mean he needs to find his own sound and write the songs, which he is doing. Cover album are great but they don’t garner the respect of original works. AI was a good way to launch but he was right to unfollow it. It is an albatross around his neck. I think he is absolutely correct to take his time.

Djafan, you asked how they came up with their name. The video I posted of the Portland Session has them singing the song “Milk Carton Kid” and has the line, “I don’t feel the pain I once did. One day it just vanished, like a milk carton kid.” So I guess it came out of that feeling.

Just a little background on the guitars and mics they use. Joey, the taller one, plays a 1951 Gibson and Kenneth plays a 1954 Martin. I guess guitars, like women, just get better with time. :) Neither of the guys had a voice lesson in their life so they are true primitives vocally. The mics they use are little “assemblage” works of art, hand-made from copper plumbing supplies and vintage bicycle parts by http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/products/microphones/ The one they use is Edwina and all the other mics made by this workshop are named for women and referred to as “she.” Edwina has a 2 layer mesh grill backed with silk! In the video I posted, look how far away they stand from her. Can we all just take up a collection and buy one of these for David? Maybe we could see his face more when he sings and I would love to hear the sound he could produce with her.

Angelica 15

I am clapping my hands. I love their sound (TMCK). I watched the Lincoln performance 2.5 times (over an hours worth… I laughed SO hard!) and I am totally up for watching it again. Glad for the info on the mics – “a mic by any other name?”

Oh, my gosh… if DA ever OWNED his sense of humor, can you imagine!!!! *_*

Angelica, I missed that lyric, I was so focused on the sound they were making, trying for figure out what sound was coming from which guy lol. Still wasn’t able to isolate.

Collegemom, Love your ideas. And while I don’t know if David thinks of these things or anyone in his camp does it sure is something we can tackle when it is time. We’ll be ready :)

The mic….I say we get him one. We could send it to his fan mail. Maybe we could even name it. Any suggestions?

This from earlier. Where could he be going???

@thisistanner
    David Archuleta is on our flight. Hope he entertains us w/ “Crush.”

KarasPartyIdeas @karaspartyideas
    Look who I ran into at the airport! Kelli’s celebrity crush!! @5firecrackers @shanbrown79 #davidarchuleta @davidarchuleta

Shannon Brown@shanbrown79
    Haha poor kid…I think we scared him!
    1 hour ago

David appears to love this shirt! /giggle

I see the chick magnet made it home. lol.

Bluesky, I bought the CD of the live show at Lincoln Theater. Isn’t Joey hilarious! He has SUCH a dry sense of humor and delivers it so deadpan and Kenneth mostly laughs and tells him he’s just wrong. David does have that “dry wit” too, so maybe he could work that into his show someday..

Um. How did you get it as a CD? I can only see it offered as a DVD. I would love the sound alone… what am I missing?

Oh duh. I meant DVD.  photo oops.gif

David tweets. I see he’s not home after all but in Hollywood.

Watching some amazing performers tonight. Up next @msgladysknight.

photo BukdfFqCEAAoH4W.jpg

Soak in that soulful sound, David.

Hollywood Bowl 20 mins from me….darn. I thought of going but to late to go in but maybe sit in the parking lot to see of I could get a glimpse of him but that sounded pretty crazy haha

So he’s in LA, wonder what other concerts he might go to?

Ha,ha…..Angelica. I get that feeling all the time.

Djafan!! I get THAT feeling all the time as well! Darn. His ninja skills have only gotten greater. Hope he enjoys the show. I would love to hear what she has cooked up.

25. emmegirl14 said

Betsy, how terrifying for you! So thankful you are now safely home. Hope recovery is going well. ♥

26. gladys1961 said

Ahhhhh my name is there, near David, hmm that will have any hidden meaning ???? (hahah in my dreams)

27. gladys1961 said

now that I think about it, I’m close, much closer than many years ago. (except those two beautiful years in Chile)

Thanks, Emmegirl. I’m doing pretty dang good, considering.
    Everyone has been so good to me, so loving, so nice.
    Also, (and I think I’ve mentioned this) one of my favorite book series has been made into a series on Starz, and it begins
    tonight. I can’t tell you how excited I am to watch it. I’ve waited 20 years for this. (Outlander)

Gladys ♥

Gladys
    I was written in the stars that you would meet David. I am positive that anytime he reads or hears “Gladys”, he remembers you.

photo 357a47e0-4687-4f96-85ce-fadff36d8c7d_zps060cba5a.jpg

David tweets!

David ArchuletaVerified account ‏@DavidArchie

“I’ve learned that the purpose of faith isn’t to change the world to match what I want; rather, the purpose of faith is to change my heart.”

Dan Clark posted a new blog. It’s a recap of the trip overseas and his perspective on it’s impact. It’s verylong so I will simply post the link.

Sunday’s puzzle: Are you under the spell of the gaze?

Someone had a shock last night seeing David at her box office window. :)

married to granger ‏@hermioneswife 6h
    so david archuleta walked up to our box office window tonight and im still not over it. still freaking out here. FREAKING. OUT.

LindaSpivey#DA2014 ‏@erlindita 4h
    @hermioneswife @GoodPlaceDA2014 Where did you see David??

married to granger ‏@hermioneswife 2h
    @erlindita sara bareilles’ concert in san diego!

It seems like David is schooling himself again in all kinds of music. It’s all good!

Betsy,
    I have thought about your story these several days. It hits very close to home since a close neighbor of ours had a similar thing happen to her this last year. She was also in her car driving at the time. Actually, she maneuvered through a four-way stop as well, not knowing how she did it. She is still recovering.
    I am beyond grateful that you are all right. Please be well.
    bluesky

A fan meets David today!

aaliyahrosemusic
    57 minutes ago
    Look who i ran into today.. one of my singing inspirations @davidarchie ♥♥♥ He had some great advice for me… i have been such a fan since American Idol. So nice meeting him!! #haveablessedsunday #ifeelmysaviorslove #aaliyahrosemusicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

She is a recoding artist. Audio West http://www.audiowestmusic.com/index.html
    On iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/aaliyah-rose/id692789433

Bluesky, thank you for thinking of me. :)
    Believe it or not, this has been life-changing. And not medically. That stuff can and will heal.
    Right now, all I feel is loved. It’s all I need.
    Because.
    I found out that one of my sisters tried to contact David through Twitter to get him to
    message me or something lol. I won’t look it up (I could but don’t want to see it) but the fact that
    she thought of that just kills me.
    My stepdaughter was beside me at the hospital the entire time. Went to the store and bought me a
    sundress/underwear to leave the hospital in. Remembered everything I forgot.
    My sons came home and stayed here. Bought me my favorite treats. Hugged me every 10 minutes.
    My adult children’s friends drove 4 hours to come and see me. I found out I was a like a second mother to them,
    and never knew they thought this.
    A very sweet nun visited me in the hospital and gave me communion. She reminded me of my mom.
    I guess what I’m saying here is that life is so fricken beautiful. ♥

Betsy, You are so blessed. I had tears after reading your comment. It’s such a relief to have family step in when we are not able to manage. We take care of our children for so many years and they love the chance to give back. I hope your hubby is back from his trip. I can’t imagine getting that kind of news so far from home.

Abs, Robert came home last night, late. (actually, about 2 a.m.)
    They had no idea of what happened, they were too far away to get cell reception. He was on a fishing trip that was part drive in/
    part fly-in. They started getting texts 2 days ago, on their way home.
    He had planned this trip for over a year and I told everyone to NOT call him.
    That was my biggest worry. Anyway, he’s home now. And driving me nuts with his comments about me not taking off
    my back brace, which I have been known to do. It’s uncomfortable! :)

39. Betsy…going through such a terrible journey with our son recently I found out that we have several of the same friends here who are caring people sending along their thoughts and prayers making a huge difference. In one day I heard from people from all over and the next morning the doctor used the word miraculous in his morning visit. There is so much good energy that comes from caring people.

Knowing David has become a very positive addition to life in general even with whatever changes he makes to his own life.

David tweets:

David ArchuletaVerified account ‏@DavidArchie

Hollywood, Californ-eye-a http://instagram.com/p/rkKR3flyzv/

18 minutes ago
    Hollywood. Welcomed a friend back home this weekend who got back from his mission. Took a walk around the Griffith Observatory after.

Betsy,

It’s just so good to have you back.
    Best wishes for your continued recovery!

SandyBeaches,

Hope your son is on the mend now.
    I agree with you about good energy from caring people.
    Please keep us posted.

Bebe #40 pic…. I just wanna know — does David go sightseeing in his white shirt and tie? #justwondering #notimportant :D

39 SandyBeaches

Arms of love and tender care surround you, your son, your family.
    Your joy is ours. Your pain, our tears. Your peace and strength and full recovery, our hope.

Always.

42 Apparently.

He has always wanted to be free from the “clothing” conundrums that can effect so much of life. So, to go from a church meeting where he welcomes a friend home, to a stint of sight-seeing without needing to shed one apparel for another……

Wait, am I talking about DA here? *shakes head* His nature is the opposite of one of my sons, for whom the choice of clothing is a necessary delicacy of every day life, to be savored and enjoyed as fully as any other form of expression.

No. Not like DA! ^_^

Oh, how I love the differences in human kind!

bluesky…. differences — it makes the world go ’round!

46. stenocruiser said

#40
    Well, the hills are lovely and the sky is blue
    The Hollywood sign is plainly in view
    But if the people below looked up and turned around
    An even more beautiful sight would be found !

Gosh, what a great photo!

SB,
    I’m so glad your son turned out to be one of the miracles! :) Praying for continued healing for him.

Bluesky,
    “His nature is the opposite of one of my sons, for whom the choice of clothing is a necessary delicacy of every day life, to be savored and enjoyed as fully as any other form of expression.”

I had to smile at that because my son is exactly the same way. If he hasn’t gotten his hair perfect and donned just the right outfit he just doesn’t feel right. LOL Not surprising since, as you all know, his mom is all about hair and clothes. ;)

Steno,
    The poem ……. Perfect! :D

Love the picture. David certainly seems to be a travelling man. He does get around.

Gladys,
    Speaking of travelling, I hope you’re having a great time in the U. S.!

CEOFam ‏@JamilMorrar
    I’m still in shocked that i just seen David Archuleta. Best singer in 2008! That was crazy!!!… http://instagram.com/p/rkre4VrZ3p/

CEOFam ‏@JamilMorrar 38m
    Hahaha @DavidArchie face hahahaha ! #HeARealOne #DavidArchuleta #NoOnKnowsDavidCookCuzArchuletaShouldHaveWon pic.twitter.com/nwy0dvTJv2

CEOFam @JamilMorrar · 17m
    I’m real… I called my sister and he spoke with her and I got her an autograph. @DavidArchie

MarthaPB ‏@mlpb3 41m
    @JamilMorrar @DavidArchie @kimak He doesn’t usually frown – must be a serious convo lol

CEOFam ‏@JamilMorrar 41m
    @mlpb3 @DavidArchie @kimak no they were joking

Taha ⚽ طه ‏@EmadLyfe 18m
    Met David Archuleta Today in LA. He was so amazed to find out I was Arab. Lol. #DavidArchuleta #LA http://instagram.com/p/rkzx4-Qyyo/

David was very gracious to that group of fans! Not a female among them for a change. I wonder if they squeeeee’d? haha

I came across one more picture.

credit: ‏@RayyWheezy

#51 Abrra “How long before Snowangelz makes up some wild story to go with that picture of David with the “mad Josh Bradley ” face? LOL”

It didn’t take long, Abs. TOFan is brilliant! And hysterical.

David tweets:

David Archuleta @DavidArchie · 1m

“Build a team– success is a team sport. No one can do it alone. Let people be in your life the way you try to be there for them.”

Betsy and SB,

((((hugs))))

Bluesky, I want part of your brain, beautiful words.

And Steno, that was so good and true, duh!

That picture of David in deep serious conversation was about olive oil!!!! The man knows his oils lol.

Hoping David goes to the JT concert tonight!

Kari Sellards @kariontour ·
    Pulling into Los Angeles now! Good morning!!! #tourlife #JT2020Tour #buslife

Bebe,

That last David tweet gave me the butterflies.

#53….. David’s tweet…. could it be applied to the Robin Williams’ tragedy? We all need a team. We ALL need a team. ♥♥

We, DA are part of your team. You may be in the process of discovering a new way to interact with us.
    You may not have a real clue how it will be. That can make you shy. (There are meanies and crazies out there after all.)

yet….. somehow, I still believe that we are unique. like you. and when you brilliantly discover or create anew a new way to play with us in the “field of all possibilities” I suspect it will be something wonderful to be part of…. and quite possibly, it will amaze even you.

you amazing thing, you.

^_^

David tweets from a restaurant!

David Archuleta @DavidArchie
    Am I hipster enough now? 👨… instagram.com/p/rn2n4qly6K/

davidarchie via Instagram
    6 minutes ago
    Checking out the menu at a restaurant in Little Saigon. #prizesfromquartermachines #doyouthinkthewaiternoticed?

Dear David, Did you WIN or Lose a bet?

58. Bluesky, MT, tawna and djafan…
    Thank you for thinking about my son. It will takes several weeks but he will get stronger. He has a new baby coming in October. My cooking skills are being put to the test!!

First I didn’t care for plaid then I really didn’t care for shirts buttoned to the top. I was watching a special on “One Direction” and at least one of the five performs often with a shirt very similar to David’s. So I am not in fashion!

So sorry to hear that Robin Williams lived with so much pain. The healing music of David’s is very positive during difficult times.

57. Abrra,
    That picture!!! ROFL He is too funny!

SB,
    Please keep us up to date on how your son is doing. And Congrats! Please let us know when the new baby arrives. :)

As for these newest fashions, like you, I think I am out of fashion these days. I’m still trying to get used to it.

SB good to hear your son is on the mend!

Bluesky, I believe we are going to bring DA to tears when he feels are love. And oh the tears will be free flowing from us. Be ready for epic times coming our way :)

That mustache picture, the comment, the hashtag phrase lol. I think David has taken his wit to a whole new level.

That buttoned up shirt was from yesterday shopping in Orange County and so is Little Saigon. Hmmmm is he trying to get us off track from he’s real whereabouts? Like the Staples Center at JT’s concert with Kari? I think maybe so lol