David Archuleta ~ New Heights

Posted by bluesky4home on Monday, March 17, 2014

Fullscreen capture 3172014 93522 PM.bmp

It was just over 6 years ago this month that my son Joey told me that I really should listen to this local kid on American Idol. He said he was from around where we used to live, that he was LDS and that he was a very impressive singer. Joey has never let me forget how skeptical I was, and how very reluctantly I sat with folded arms, a doubtful expression on my face as he brought a YouTube video up on my computer and brought DA into my life.

Since then, my sons have teased me somewhat and wondered a time or two. But they are mostly supportive of my support of DA. Joey even got to meet him before he left (at a place where Joey works) and had the chance to tell him that he completely supported him in his decision to serve a mission.

Now Joey has gone and returned. And he and his friends, (some other LDS young men who had returned from their own missions) formed a musical group called Argyle. For several years they have traveled, sang, and performed all around Utah.

Although I love almost all their music, I have my favorites. One of these is “New Heights,” which tells the tale of a returned missionary meeting up with a girl he had left behind.

So now we have come full circle. DA is now the one who is returning… to all of us he “left behind.” He has new plans. He has dreams, goals, and some challenges (I am sure) awaiting him.

But I am also sure that he is full of that same wonder, that same drive, that same spontaneous generosity of spirit and energy of soul that he had when he left. Only now… Wow. That is all I can say: Wow!!

In my mind, I hear him say, as the men of Argyle say in their song: “Hey! How are You!? I know it’s been a couple years….”

And I am ready to “jump” into the deep end, “fly” to the horizon, and accompany him, in my own way and with my own heart, as he begins to “chase all of (his) dreams.”

God bless you, DA, in this new chapter of your life. Because I do believe the words of the song:

I do believe you are, DA. And we will need all the ballast we can manage to stay afloat in the waves of fun rising on the horizon. I do believe.

wave

Bluesky is a staff writer for The Voice.

33 Responses to “David Archuleta ~ New Heights”

1. Jane said

Beautifully written……WOW!!!!!!

2. marlie7 said

Lovely, bluesky – David can move forward with his ” dreams, goals, and some challenges (I am sure) awaiting him,” now, knowing he had fulfilled a major commitment. I do believe the brakes will be off when he starts up his career again (soon!)

3. archugeezer said

Sweet expressions of anticipation. Thank you, bluesky4home. I believe too.

4. fenfan123 said

So one week to D-day!

Yes Bluesky, I believe. Desperately looking for “ballast” now. So looking forward to the fun times ahead spazzing with you all and hearing that Voice again.

Hey Bebe – your comment in the previous thread – I should be thanking you for the opportunity to tell my story. I had never told it in such detail before because I don’t know anyone who has ODD, other than people on this site. I had a great time. I loved it when everyone chipped in with comments, and questions that I hope I managed to answer.

Bluesky, I do believe he is ready to jump with both feet into what he knows is waiting for him. My heart feels he was just wading before he left. He couldn’t go into the deep surf because he had things unfinished on the shore. The major commitment has been completed, so he can roll up his pants (no shorts for our David :) ) and start the forward motion that is next. I’m so excited (I can hardly breathe) for what is to come! I just have to remember that he needs, and deserves, plenty of time and space to adjust to the temperature, winds, and waves, that are also part of what is to come.

Yes, looking for ballast!!

Thank you Bluesky!!

Bluesky!!
    Love this! and Your son and his group really did a great job on the song. I really, really, like it. I’d love to see David write/sing something similar to this.

And this … “I didn’t ever want to let you go, but back then I had to be alone. Please understand. I know it wasn’t fair to you. But, back then I wasn’t ready. Now I am!!!”

I believe those particular lyrics fit David perfectly. Back then, he wasn’t ready for all that a career in music involved; the pressure, the schedule, even the adoration must have been so difficult to wrap his head around. At 17 years old, it must have been overwhelming. But like you, I believe he is now ready to soar to new heights in his career. I CAN’T WAIT!! I too believe it’s going to be amazing! :)

Fen,
    I love love love fan recaps and yours was awesome. :) I loved every little detail, especially the part about the camera that just “happened” to be in your bag. LOL Thanks for sharing!

@DavidArchie A cover of Snow Patrol’s Chasing Cars. youtu.be/MFS3uyeYsrI Recorded while in Singapore back in 2012. (KS)

MP4 http://www.mediafire.com/download/anczdw10kdh1b7a/Snow+Patrol+-+Chasing+Cars+%28David+Archuleta+Acoustic+Cover%29.mp4

MP3 http://www.mediafire.com/download/vo2u44tkt4e2sgg/Snow+Patrol+-+Chasing+Cars+%28David+Archuleta+Acoustic+Cover%29.mp3

A tweet with a video!! A cover of Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

David Archuleta ‏@DavidArchie · 12m
    A cover of Snow Patrol’s Chasing Cars. http://youtu.be/MFS3uyeYsrI Recorded while in Singapore back in 2012. (KS)

haha Abrra beat me to it!!

AND you know how I love to scream cap :) He didn’t smile until the last second. But I will not be defeated! I got it! LOL

photo 74_zps021d2220.jpg

photo 78_zps791037ea.jpg

photo 75_zps31fdfb41.jpg

photo 77_zpsf484896a.jpg

photo 76_zpsd2e2c858.jpg

photo 80_zps9cd19104.jpg

11. funfee said

Haha thanks Abrra!! You got the smile! That was a beautiful cover. Loved hearing him sing a “new” song!

Jane – thanks! So Great to hear from you!

Marlie – Ahhh, so do I! ^_^

Archugeezer – Somewhere, sometime…. hope to meet you. A.n.t.i.c.i.p.a.t.i.o.n. Ummm hummm.

Fenfan – ballast, life jackets, whatever it takes! Glad you could share your story, how cool is that?

Tawna – you are always so considerate of DA. Thanks for your great perspective. At least he has some idea what the whole career entails, not like when he was just thrown in, so to speak!

MT – Thanks for your kind words for their song! I love their music. ^_^ (They earned an award for “Utah’s Best Garage Band” ((had to say that!)) ) I love how all the lyrics speak to me of our journey with DA: both in a real and in a metaphorical way: We were with him when he “faced all his fears” and I believe we are “more than just friends”. …… anyway…. I get excited.

And why not?! Listen to that layered love song we just got landed with. Bless his pea-picken heart. (just all the words I could muster)

bluesky

Thank you, Blue! I’m a believer, too. I think that we are in for an exciting ride!

Is your son, Joey, the lead vocalist in the song “New Heights”? If so, way cool! I really like the song so thank you for sharing it here with us! I’m an immediate fan! haha

Fen,
    You’re welcome! So glad you’re thanking me rather than blaming me. LOL You did such an amazing job. I hope others will follow in your footsteps.

Woot woot! A new cover song to love! Hope there are more of these to come!

14. marlie7 said

Is there an NA session tonight? Or a gathering? :-)

Nice post, Bluesky, and I really like your son’s band’s song New Heights. I’m sure that David will go to way up there in new heights! It was amazing all the things he did after AI knowing that he was going on a mission. With it behind him now, he won’t have it in the back of his mind and can concentrate on his music. :) So, no telling what he will do with him so dedicated to his fans. I am so happy that he is following his heart and excited for his future and we are going to love the ride that he’s going to take us on! ♥

Thanks, Kari! Just hearing his voice sing a new song….gah! Even if it’s from 2 years ago. I have to listen to his voice every day…♫♪it is so beautiful♪♫!

Thanks for the smile, Abrra. You had to be fast to get that one! :)

@DA2014……….ONE MORE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry, I’m kind of excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlie14
    We haven’t had an organized NA chat in a few weeks due to low attendance. But watch for future surprise impromptu chats in Unplugged or in the room used for NA.

Bebereader – No. Joey sings harmony and plays the bass. He usually sings harmony, you can hear him when they all sing different parts. They are a great bunch and really support each other. I look forward to DA finding a great band to work with him. I like to think of him interviewing more guys. I think he will enjoy the camaraderie of the band – especially since he has had these years of being with so many guys in such a close and supportive way.

(Bebe… their songs are on iTunes if you want to hear some others. I am kinda a fan, too. *_* Doesn’t seem to stop me from getting all hyper over a certain Latin Guy. Seems like with your own kids: your heart just gets bigger. I have great admiration for anyone willing to take the challenge of creating “good” ((in every sense)) music these days. No more “Waiting On The World To Change”… these young people and others are doing their part to bring life, joy, great entertainment, and excellence into the world. I am so glad that I have the chance to support someone like DA………. “Go get ‘em, Tiger!!)

(*sigh* I think my passion is showing. *_* )

Jans – thank you! And … one more week. Yes! We DID IT!!! I think that is pretty amazing. So glad to be with you all here: “At the Beginning of All Things”. (Sorry, Sam – Frodo, it had to be said.)

18. angelofdja said

Bluesky4home, I’m a new fan of your son’s band! They are really good! Thanks for sharing!
    I’m so excited for David! He will be able to see his family and friends soon!
    I’m completely optimistic about his music career. All good things take time. We’ve already experienced so much beauty from him, can’t even imagine what he has learned and how he will apply that knowledge to new music! GAH!
    I can’t believe we may know something as soon as next week! Maybe David will return on my birthday, next Tuesday! It would so warm my heart… ;-)

19. Angelofdja – *waves* isn’t it exciting? That would be so great, to hear some news on your birthday! That would be something you would remember for a long time to come.

20. ray said

bluesky i am now a fan of your son,s band,but can,t stop listening to chaseing cars by that guy ,you now who ,he brings tears to my eyes .soon very soon the world will spin,hang on guys hang on.ps i wish those boys all the best

Bluesky Your son’s band is amazing. They sound very professional for a “Garage band”. Just teasing! Of course they are professionals :) Especially like the lead singers voice. It has a smokey tone to it. The harmonies blend well and I like that the productions doesn’t get in the way of the melody. Very nice effort by these young men.

Ray I love you.

Marlie If you need some chat, I am willing to hang in Unplugged tonight when Idol is on at 8 est. All are welcome and we can watch Idol and chat about the best singer in the whole world.

Angelica That lead picture. Runners legs FTW! I am sure David stayed fit while in Chile. He walked a ton of miles. I wonder if the nerd in him kicked in and he wore a pedometer. If that is so, I am sure he will let us know the distance he walked in 2 years.

photo tumblr_m5kaekmUti1r9dhlfo1_r6_500-1.gif

I cant stop staring at this BEGIN gif. I forget where I found it. I want to say “Great job!” to whoever made it.

bluesky, I finally had time to really give a listen to Argyle…. they are amazing! I wish them the best with their future endeavors. #happytoknowtheproudmomma #youshouldbeproud

RAY!!!!! You are such an amazing fan. Gosh! You know that you as eloquent as the greatest poet. You just shine.
    Yea, I know what you mean, and I am so glad that you are here to share all this with us. Thanks for hangin’ in there!

Abrra – Thanks for giving them a listen. I struggled with sharing the music, because they are people that I know and I did not want to seem like I was using the DA site for other motives. It was just that I could not get that song out of my head. Those other young men had been through all this that DA is going to do now (the coming home), and they knew what it was like and how blessed they were to have people supporting and waiting for them. I just could not get the image of DA and his fans out of my head. To me, we a.r.e. “more than friends”. Not like “hey, call me up!” friends, but like heart connections from afar, who watch, support, pray for, and even sometimes sacrifice for the good of the “other”, just because of the shared joy that it brings. What is this site, but an expression of love, support, and shared joy? So, thank you for letting me share the song. I appreciate you all so very much.

Tawna – thank you. They are all fans of DA. ^_^ (his pic is on their FB page!)

Bluesky,

I love the song (kind of an earworm for a whole day) lol and I especially love your interpretation of it and how it relates to David and his fans. “I didn’t ever want to let you go, but back then I had to be alone. Please understand. I know it wasn’t fair to you. But, back then I wasn’t ready. Now I am!!!” I really believe he will be too. Nothing to keep him from jumping in with both feet and going ahead full speed on his career. Just hope we can keep up with him. He does have a way of surpassing whatever we thought was his personal best. Gonna need to keep our floatation devices handy for sure or drown after the drought! I’m a pretty good swimmer tho and can tread till I starve (a skill we learned in the military) although I never had to use it, thank goodness. Funny thing tho, ever since and to this day, I cannot sink even without treading. Just hang there with my arms folded in a standing position bobbing along like a cork. Where was I? I do digress. But as Ray said, I wish those boys all the best too! Funny how you were forced to watch David by your son Joey. :) He had no idea what he was starting there. I’m so glad you discovered David and along your journey, found all of us.

Abrra, ohnopurple has watermarked that gif, top right corner.

Thanks Angelica. I must have been blinded by the subject.

Angelica – I so admire those whose courage leads them to serve in such a way as you have. Thank you. <3
    And, I have to tell you that I was the only girl in our swimming class that they could never teach to float. No matter what they did, I sank. They gave up, eventually. Thing is… I understood the concept and what to do, I even ended up teaching more than one other girl how to relax and float.

Must have been my side-ways brain upsetting the "ballast". *grin* So, I always pretended I was just a mermaid and learned instead to swim under water. I guess that means: I'm already sunk. ^_^

I’m like you, Abrra. I can’t quit watching it either! :) It’s like hypnotizing! Thanks ohnopurple…it’s awesome!

#DA2014….just a few more days! :) :) :)

Bluesky, What fun to have a “band” in the family, wish them the best. The lyrics really stood out to me and I can see right away why the David connection. They’ve lived the mission and can write about it first hand. What experiences will David share with us in his music? Whatever they are I’m still here.

I couldn’t pick my favorite bluesky passage, I love them all, they are beautiful so they must be highlighted :) Thank you.

I to believe ♥

Facebook, today.

David Archuleta
    3,758,761 likes · 50,499 talking about this.

I don’t believe David will have to start from scratch :)

Awww, Djafan *_* me, too. Me, too.

50.5 thousand “talking about this”. They are the smart ones. ^_^

A new tweet from Kari.

photo 98_zpsdbb8dfa8.jpg

@DavidArchie Here is a fun one from David’s Birthday in 2010! #throwbackthursday (KS) pic.twitter.com/hMh6ZO3s4c

hehe The girl at the fence is staring and saying ” Is that David Archuleta at the helm?”
    edit: Looks like Melinda, the former manager.

Such a cute picture of David with his famous smile!!! :) Another goodie from Kari! Love it! :)

#DA2014….a lot to smile about! :) :) :) :)

Ok so I stalked the picture and I think it’s in Ventura, CA The video below shows a driver’s point of view. It made me dizzy LOL