David Archuleta and the Art of Whistling

Posted by Angelica on Friday, August 30, 2013

Fullscreen capture 662013 15248 AM.bmp

You know how to whistle, don’t you? You just put your lips together and…blow.

Lauren Bacall, To Have and Have Not.

I don’t know how to whistle.  I could put my lips together and blow till my brains fell out and never produce anything but wind and severe hyperventilation. Maybe that’s why I admire people who can whistle. Don’t sit next to Djafan during a David concert if you value your eardrums. She is a two-fingered whistler, the most piercing kind, especially when produced within the acoustically perfect walls of the Conference Center during a certain MOtab Christmas performance.

David has mad whistling skills. When the snippet for YEDL was released, some questioned the use of whistling on the song.  I didn’t.  I loved it.  But most people, me included, did not know it was actually David that was doing the whistling. We discovered that only when he performed the song live in concert for the first time.

David is a pucker whistler. This is advantageous for several reasons:

1)  He has an excellent set of puckerers and this shows them off to maximum advantage.

2) Pucker whistling is more refined than the ear squealer.

3)  It allows for the creation of a more sustained note with maximum control.

4)  It is melodious when played by a virtuoso.  A virtuous virtuoso is even better as this produces the purest sound.

While many people can whistle, true whistling aficionados are rare.  Listen to the end of the rehearsal video of David in Manilla.  It’s as though he is playing a musical instrument.  He is.

Video credit yojeigor  5/15/09

I was there in Beaumont, Texas on the front row of a tightly jostling mosh pit when he performed YEDL in concert for the first time ever.

Video credit xamourdemusique  3/11/09

He got better. Major flirt alert @ 1.47

Video credit waitingforyesterdayx  7/28/09

And better.

Video credit emilyluvsarchie  8/17/09

And better.

Video credit djbell13  10/30/09

Was all this really four years ago?  Yet still we wait, held here by the power of the purest sound.  A whistle on the wind.  Laughter and the sweetest smile.  A voice we cannot somehow live without.  We wait, ears cocked to the wind for a sound to come whistling toward us again.  We are here.  We are still here.

68 Responses to “David Archuleta and the Art of Whistling”

1. violet4ever said

Fun article. I love his whistling especially that rehearsal. And YEDL is tied for my favorite song on the red album – My Hands, Running & YEDL

Bringing over this comment from the last thread.

Dayzee said
    Friday, August 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM e

The end of August. Another month gone.

A year and a half ago I wondered how we could possibly continue with this place. How many ways could we comment on David’s voice, his looks, his genius, his character? How many times could we watch the same videos and still want to see them again? How could we keep interested in someone whose life is so inaccessible when we had kept track of his daily wardrobe?

Yet here we are. We have found a million (more than a million?) things we want to talk about. It didn’t hurt that he left us 2 complete albums after telling us his goal was to “record a few songs” before he left. Abrra captured his Philippine novella. The fans are still creating new videos from past performances. New pictures surface. We continue to find the need to check in here to see what has surfaced. I am no good at the searching, but have so much gratitude for those who bring David’s essence here.

Gladys’s account of seeing David in Chile meant a great deal to me. Abrra’s Saturday night chats and Bebe’s Nandito Tuesdays are wonderful. So many people here that spend so much time and effort to keep things current. The artwork is outstanding and always beautiful, the articles always interesting, the comments fun. The ways we find to share our appreciation of David’s talents are endless. Thanks to all who join in.

***********************************************
    Dayzee I don’t think I will ever run out of stuff to say about such a talent as David Archuleta ;)

Angelica, this is a cute post. I always loved the song YEDL. David can whistle, just like David can sing! He seems to do anything he wants when he puts his mind to it! If it has to do with music, he can do it! :) Love the sound of the ocean in the Manila video. I listen to a sound of the ocean and one of David’s albums every night when I go to bed. They are so relaxing. It was funny where the fans were laughing so much they couldn’t whistle. I can pucker whistle, but not with any fingers at all! :)

Dayzee and Abrra, AMEN! ♥ But I thought David put out 3 albums while he has been gone. I have Forevermore, Begin and No Matter How Far. Thank you, David!

Off topic, my twin great grandbabies were born Fri morning. Payton Alexandria 5 lbs 11 oz and Justyn Alexander 6 lbs 6 oz. Happy birthday!

photo 37_zps99431e52.png
    #DA2014….Monday we go into the last tower! Whoo hoo!

Oh, and hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend! Fall is right around the corner, but it was 101* here in KC today!

4. rooster (aka RAY ) said

OOO angelica youve done it started my day with a laugh,(excellent set of PUCKERERS )will be laughing all day ever time i think of this .thank you

“You’re still in love with me… your eyes don’t lie…”

Dear DA:

Moving on to someone else? Listen up! I. love. music. I love a LOT of music and I believe music is a gift from God to show us how different we are from the other (marvelous) creatures on this (marvelous) planet: we make music. We make a LOT of different kinds of music. It is one way to give back to the multiplicity, the variety, the tens of thousands “dappled things…” that bless and give delight, ease, and expression to our lives.

Gerard Manley Hopkins: Pied Beauty

GLORY be to God for dappled things—
    For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
    For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
    Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
    Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough; 5
    And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
    Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
    With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
    He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change: 10
    Praise him.

You, DA are one of those brightly dappled things. Everything you do (including whistling), shines. And we remember how we feel “shiny” when we are with you in song. The “because” of that has been covered in hundreds of posts. Basically: there is room for you here. And more than room. You “scatter” sunshine, music, love and warmth, wherever you go and whatever you do. You make me think of the poem above and say, “Praise him.”

So… your eyes don’t lie, either. And neither will your ears when you come back and hear us screaming (or whistling) for more.

always,
    bluesky

Angelica, your video evidence is overwhelming:

1) He does have an excellent set of puckerers

2) He does get better at whistling

3) And flirting

As Rooster says, you have brought us giggles.

My father was great at whistling and engaged his puckerers often. When I first heard David’s whistling it brought me back to a happy time. How did he know how much we would love to be whistled at?

Bluesky, there you go doing what I appreciate. Bringing us lovely words that showcase David.

Jan, you caught me. I did not consider No Matter How Far a complete album because of repeats of some songs already released. I truly don’t mind if you want to count that as album #3. In fact, I will just admit I was wrong. :) Congrats on the new great grandbabies. I too have 2 new greats, but it took 2 mothers for me. Our family welcomes Maxx and Lincoln.

Thank heavens for people like Abrra who cannot shut up about the talented David.

It looks like I did not hit the right button.. because my other comment did not make it up here. *_*

Basically:

Angelica… I love your posts, I love your writing, I love your humor. You are amazing and I have no idea what I would do without you and all the other great admins and posters. Thank you so very much.
    McKenzie… thanks so much for letting them post your posts! Great comments and well written. I agree with you one hundred percent.

And Dayzee! (((hugs)))

Jans – love your calendar. ^_^

8. emmegirl14 said

Angelica, I can’t whistle worth a lick either, more sound comes out when I breath in than out – but I love this article, love the videos, love YEDL (yep, one of my all-time favorites too), love soulful, sassy, whistling David! I got swept up into a YEDL vortex that has left my head spinning!

The Day After Tomorrow is getting closer now, closer now…..eeek!

**side note – a hope that the mic has gotten over it’s completely understandable obsession with his upper lip

YEDL was not one of my favorites but it sure grew on me fast! I now love sassy, soulful David and he is all that and more in YEDL! I was at the show in Atlantic City when I heard YEDL live! At the beginning of this video he apologizes for not whistling so well and then he proceeds to whistle the notes of the song in perfect pitch. You’re right, Angelica when you say that “It’s as though he is playing a musical instrument.”

credit MeanDevilGuy8

{{{{Dayzee}}}}
    Your comment is so appreciated! We love what we do so we can’t stop doing it!! :)

Jans,
    Congratulations on your new twin great grandbabies, Peyton and Justyn! May they bring your family bundles of joy!

Tomorrow is September 1st!
    We are coming around the bend! Six more months!

10. Angelica, haha love this post,
    Yep, those are pretty perfect ‘puckerers’. (ok try saying that fast a few times)
    not surprised he can whistle as melodiously as he sings,but that improvising he does in the video rehearsal! wow! makes him the Whistle King in my book!

My Dad was always whistling a tune around the house when I was growing up.and after that.I’m sure he drove my mother crazy,haha, but we kids liked it. that’s a fond memory for me♥
    I can whistle, way better than I can sing.. unless I’m in front of David Archuleta saying ” “now you guys whistle!”
    then it was like I had a mouthful of crackers..’whhpt’ ‘whhppptt’ got nothin’. lol

hah love all the comments here…,you guys make me smile♥

Ok, Fess up…whoever posted that great temple calendar with almost all the days filled in…thanks!! :) Bluesky, I’d like to take the credit, but I’m not savvy enough to do that. :)

Oh, Dayzee, “complete” was running thru my head, but couldn’t quite grasp it, so I thought I would ask. :) It is an album, but, it’s not a complete one, so I guess we are both right! :) Really wasn’t trying to be “nit-picky”!! :) Congrats on your new additions, Dayzee. Bet they are so cute. I love babies, but glad all mine are raised! :)

Thanks for all the congrats! Just found out that the little girls name is spelled “Paytyn” like the boys, “Justyn”. Another girl is due in Oct. My goodness, my family sure is growing. Twins run in my husbands family, big time. I have twin grandsons that are going to college in Austin.

I want to say that I am glad that we all have the same eyes and ears that recognize David for the great person and singer that he is. And that we have this great place to come and celebrate! Thanks to all our moderators that make it all possible! And thanks to all the fans that join in with their great comments! ♥

#DA2014

Angelica, I love YEDYL to this day, still listen to (I mean watch the video of lol) this more than is normal.
    I also love whistlers, they remind me of my neighbor across the street, growing up in Detroit. He whistled all the time, beautifully.
    Such a happy guy, we all loved him.
    I saw David sing this the first time ever I saw him. Of course he was brilliant. We all died. Well, you know.

But this is the one I cannot get over.

credit to 8throwcenter

#9….At David’s best singing that song!! WOW!! ♥ Perfection!!!

#12…Whoops, he just perfected perfection! :) How does he do that?? Thanks, Betsy! Lucky you, getting to hear that live!

Jans, I agree! I just watched the YEDL in #12 that Betsy posted. I think it’s the best one yet! And he has so much fun singing that song. Love the laugh at the end.

16. cq#DA2014 said

Good grief what a cutie…with an amazing voice, why David isn’t a huge star already baffles me?!?! Thank you Angelica for the great Art of Whistling post, loved all the videos.

david-archuleta-a photo david-archuleta-a.jpg

whistles… puckers… crinkly-eye-smiles… YEDL… must be David Archuleta on that stage!!!! Love it to the first degree!!

Thanks Angelica! :D

#DA2014

Forgot….. thanks also for all the videos… fun, fun times :)

Whoops, I meant to convey that I saw him sing it in GR, and loved it, but love the New Hampshire one a little more. :)

I love this.

photo/1

Fun post Angelica. Excellent set of puckerers – bawahahaha!!!
    I have YEDL embedded in my brain after watching all the videos posted here.
    I wish I could whistle, a sharp piercing blast made with fingers in the mouth – just like Dja – so I can do it at a David concert!
    I was checking the countdown calendar because I wanted to see that lovely 6 in the box when I happened to glance to the left and see something vaguely familiar. Hahaha – it’s me! Nice to see myself being quoted. Thanks!

23. emmegirl14 said

I was back again today happily spinning on the YEDL merry-go-round when I happened onto a link for To Be With You. As I cruised the random links to the right for my next ride I noticed the hits, hundreds of thousands and millions of hits – on everything from Falling Stars to Elevator to The First Noel to When You Believe to Forever More to My Kind Of Perfect to ALTNOY to My Hands Hold On and more – totaling just over 17 million – on this one random page.

The To Be With You video has no pics of him, only lyrics, and the comments are current – 2 mos, 1 mos, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, 6 days, 2 days – they love the song and connect with it.

One can only wonder with proper management what this man can do.

Angelica,
    Love the whistling post! Everyone who goes to chat must know that YEDL is one I usually request. And the one Betsy posted at #12 is my favorite. He was in such a fun playful mood. Love the whistling, the flirty eyes, him laughing at the audience trying to whistle. It’s adorable from beginning to end.

Emmegirl,
    “One can only wonder with proper management what this man can do.” I know what you mean. Let’s hope the stars all align when he returns.

Looking forward to 2014.

25. mspoohbear said

Angelica, I love your post! I was never fond of whistling or whistlers until David’s YEDL. When I first heard this song, I thought it was weird because it was more of a love song and to incorporate whistling in it seems odd for me. However, as I keep listening to it over and over, I started to not only like it, but love it. Then I realized how good of a whistler David is. If my life depends on me whistling, I would have died when I was an infant. I just tried it right now and I failed miserably. I’ve tried positioning my tongue and puckering my lips many different ways and still no sound but only air came out. LOL! My daughter can whistle very good but not my son. So, I can easily say that whistling is a talent because many people can’t do it and for those who can, they make it sound so easy.

Thanks for the heads up Angelica, now I know to be ready to cover my ears when I go to a David concert with Djafan! LOL!

Emmegirl,

After reading your comment, I felt compelled to go back into the Youtube vortex, this time for TBWY. By golly you’re right! Thousands of new comments for David’s videos, even those that are not live. And some are very recent. This makes me happy that there’s still so much interest in him and his music while he’s away.

This bears repeating:

“One can only wonder with proper management what this man can do.”

MsPoohBear,

My husband asked why the big smile when I was reading your comment. haha You made me laugh with your description of learning how to whistle. My husband has been teaching music for over 30 years and still hasn’t figured out how to whistle. LOL

Angelica,

I love YEDL since first listen and I love whistling as you and SB, SF, Marcia and FG heard first hand and probably everyone at Motab, maybe even David himself, that was my goal haha. Yeah I’ve been accused of hurting the eardrums lol.

I love your post. David is a never ending topic. He took this song to such a higher level live than the recorded version but then he does this with most songs. One of my favorite performances of YEDL was at Del Mar, fresh back from touring with Mcfly and boy did he gain major confidence and flirtiness in the short span.

That not the lol

Winnie, you’ve been warned :) lol

29. Angelica, what a fun post! Delightful. An “excellent set of puckerers” indeed! Had to watch the videos of course—all of them. I was there for the Salt Lake City concert version, March of 2009. David really put his pucker power to work in response to his hometown crowd.

I think I have mentioned this before, but the whistling introduction to YEDL is my ringtone. I was soooo pleased with my technically challenged self when I figured out how to create it and get it onto my phone, but it was initially intended as something temporary. More than four years later, and I have never changed it. It’s unique. I can hear it above other noises; and when David whistles, I tend to answer. :)

Djafan, I agree that David is a never ending topic. I don’t know how many songs he has sung or recorded, but I’ll bet ya we could have a discussion over every one of them! :) He is so intriging , he is the best topic of conversation!

#DA2014…Yea! We are at the top of the 3rd {last} tower!! It’s going to be fun coloring in those little circles! :) Think it’ll go fast now,,going downhill!

31. emmegirl14 said

Have a wonderful day everyone!

(as I scroll down, that BEGIN. cover always catches my eye, my!)

Archugeezer…. I think I love you! ^_^
    bluesky

33. emmegirl14 said

bebe, ik, it’s so exciting! There is a Crush with over 6 million views with dozens of comments in the last couple of weeks. It just seems there are alot of people just now discovering his music.

(I haven’t had much opportunity these last 6 months to indulge in a
    D video-fest, so it makes me so happy to see such an increase in views…yippeee!)

Archugeezer ♥ that SLC YELD!

34. Hope everyone had a good holiday!

Archugeezer,could you hear him whistling, from your spot at the concert in SLC? lots of screams haha! I love you have the whistling part of YEDL for your ringtone♥

First concert tour 2009,what fun memories ♥All these videos are so good, but that improvised rehearsal video has the best whistling for me.I just love when he does a change up and blows our mind.lol

Emmegirl,wow! it is amazing isn’t it? YAY! thanks for pointing that out.

I still hear Crush in so many different places too!!
    Maybe it reminds some of those people who haven’t thought of David Archuleta, (unfathomable) and his amazing talent and incredible voice( seriously,I mean like on the whole planet!) since season 7 .Idol days…
    AND THAT SMILE!! :)
    ( wait.. who ARE these people and what is their problem!? LOL)

I had a great holiday weekend. So many fun things to do at end of summer. But next Labor Day? David will be somewhere NOT on a mission! Yayyy!!

I did too, Dayzee. And NOT on a mission sounds so good! :) Love filling in the top circle of the last tower, finally! :) It won’t be long now…..

37. Skydancer1x – Yes, I could hear David whistling at that Salt Lake City concert. The real screams started when the fans realized it was actually David doing the whistling.

38. violet4ever said

This is one I had bookmarked – camera pointed at the SLC video screen:

Admin Abrra: I pulled YEDL from the playlist for you.

39. violet4ever said

Oopps that was a playlist link – skip to video 6 for the YEDL

40. thanks Archugeezer! btw, I love your little Mrs.Potatohead avi, hee hee :)

Dayzee and Jan..YAYYY!

39 thanks Violet….thud.
    uh, got sidetracked…going back in for more :)

42. TXNancy said

Angelica, this is such a fun post. I, too, was at the SLC show. Can’t help wondering if, by this time next year, will we all have been at such a David concert already? Can’t help dreaming about it and wishing for it and praying for it.

Jans, in your #30 comment, you wondered about the # of songs Davd has sung or recorded. Don’t know if this link ever appeared here before ((& I can’t remember how or when I found this) but this is an awesome list of maybe all of David’s songs, plus the lyrics and some videos!!!

For all you “Nandito Ako” aficionados, join us tonight for more!
    10PM Eastern

credit TV5 Philippines

Gosh this has been so much fun Angelica and posters!!! Thank you for the links to all those awesome videos. I take my ipad and headsets to bed, this weekend I think I just watched all the YEDL videos!!! Talk about getting lost in a vortex each night lol.

Thanks guys! It was so hard to choose a few videos out of all the great ones for YEDL.

Betsy, I love the Manchester performance too! See my lead pic. ;) My only problem with it is sound quality, but Muldur more than makes up for that with her stunning visual work.

Archugeezer, I came very close to using the SLC performance, one of my all time favorites from him. I especially love and play over and over his bluesy moan from 2.52 – 3.00. Hoping for a lot more where that comes from on his next tour. :) I love that you use his whistling on YEDL as your ringtone! Think I will do that too. Several years ago, long before YEDL came out, I had a dream about David’s whistling. I posted this dream on another site at the time, it was so clear that it lingered for a long time. In it I was supposed to be making sure David got to the airport safely and help with any issues. We were taking separate cars. On the way to our cars, he said he needed to find his cats first and put them inside. He said he had a special call for his cats that only they could hear. He walked ahead of me and called, and it was a whistle. His cats immediately came running toward him. At the sound, my knees buckled under me and I almost went to the ground. I remember being surprised by my violent reaction, but I managed to right myself and look composed by the time he turned around. Guess the dream was my way of trying to work out why some of us hear him and some don’t. Then that scamp came out with a song with a whistle on it!

Yay for making it to the top of the final spire of the temple! As Jan said, it’s all downhill from now on!

46. bluesky said

The thing about DA is, he was blessed with a voice to match his desires. He did not always know that. He may not truly know that now (since he cannot hear himself as we hear him). All the same, not many people experience the conjunction of desire + gift of expression. Most of us stumble more than once on our journey to match means with our souls meaning. I think I sometimes I resonate with DA as a hope; a hope that it is possible, no matter the length of the journey or the difficulty of the way.

Sing on, DA.

Bluesky,

“(Dear DA: In the eternal round of “speakers & receivers” ((per the sound system on my computer)) I am grateful that you received the desire to sing, that you received the love and support, that you received ((after trials)) the gift of music anew in your life. I am grateful to all those who “received” that gift in turn from you — and use it to bless my life.)”

Really feeling blessed :)

#42 TXNancy..thanks for the link. It was interesting to know that David has sung 133 songs. That is a huge accomplishment for his age, but yet it seems he has sang so many more by comparing it to his singing a lot of them many times at different shows. In other words, to me, it seems like he has sung so many more. :)

Bluesky, I am so grateful also. When I write to him, I can’t help but thank him every time! He’s probably tired of it by now, he is so modest! :) But, I just can’t help it! He is so special! ♥♥♥♥♥

#DA2014

It’s throw back Thursday!!!

Will we be getting any surprises from Kari????

I hope so. So I tweeted :)

@djafan
    @kariontour It’s #throwbackthursday will we be getting any @davidarchie surprises??!! I hope so!!!

Shelley has started a birthday card for Elder Archuleta early this year! She will have it printed, bound and will send to Chile via Kari like last year Please don’t forget to sign!

Good work djafan! Kari tweeted this:

David Archuleta ‏@DavidArchie 21m

Here is a #throwbackthursday David’s first video blog from June 10, 2008! => http://youtu.be/bqo4tBBiAVk (KS)

52. awwww, hes such a sweetheart♥ I sure do miss his vlogs!

I can see how much he has matured from this video to the Christmas Pageant in Chile last Dec. #DA2014 All your hard work is making you so worth it, and we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you David! ♥

#DA2014!!!!!!

On a side note, my family thinks I’m carrying it a little far because I won’t book trips or anything for next year until I know when and David’s concert is! :)

#DA2014!!!!!!!

Sorry, when and where David’s concert is! :)

Jans, But that makes perfect sense to me. :)

56. gladys1961 said

I have my passport and I have booked my holiday for 2014, everyone is advised. Sometime in 2014 I’ll be there with you.

Gladys… ha, ha!! You make me smile, lady. ^_^

I totally expect to see you sometime, in the flesh, and share a big hug.

58. rooster said

gladys will be waiting with open arms

Gladys, I saw that on Facebook today in Spanish but I had no problem grasping what you meant! Congratulations my friend! Hope you don’t mind my posting it here.

photo Fullscreencapture95201394538PMbmp.jpg

60. emmegirl14 said

Looking forward to meeting you Gladys :)

61. gladys1961 said

gracias my sis, this is like my virtual home, I’m happy and wanted to share my happiness with all the ladies, thanks.

Gladys,
    That’s wonderful news!!! I look forward to seeing you!!

Bebe, it really does, just don’t know what’s wrong with my family! :)

Gladys, can’t wait to meet you at the concert next year! “I just get all tingly just thinking about it! :)

#DA2014

Gladys! I can’t wait for 2014!!! Let the planning begin!!!

Congratulations Gladys! Hope to see you and all the other ODD people at the concert. I will need you to hold my hand when a certain beautiful guy with dark hair, hazel eyes and magical voice walks onto the stage!

Congratulations, Gladys! Maybe I’ll see you at my first concert!! :)

67. Gladys,that’s wonderful news!! Yippee!!!! ♥

68. angelofdja said

That’s fantastic news Gladys! 2014 is going to be a wonderful year!

P.S. I must get busy. So much to do. Six months is sure to cruise by quickly…